Ticking Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

99GAman
09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
i get a loud ticking in the engine when i start the car...and it is very aggrivating. i think it might be a lifter going bad.....anyone have any other suggestions on what it could be?

thanks
George

jamcllw
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I have a ticking in my engine bay but it's not coming from the motor. I think that mine is coming from the power steering pump. Disconnect your belt and turn on the car if it ticks it's your engine if it doesn't it's something belt driven.

H.O. Driver
09-13-2004, 01:55 PM
i get a loud ticking in the engine when i start the car...and it is very aggrivating. i think it might be a lifter going bad.....anyone have any other suggestions on what it could be?

thanks
George
A lot of GA's have that, some say lifter tick some say piston slap. Mine has done it since like 50k on it, no major engine issues as of yet. Just waiting for the cam to come out and do it all at once, new lifters and pushrods, etc...

I am sure if you did a quick search you would see a lot of threads about this.

iceman1793
09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I started to have the same problem. When it was time to change my oil I threw in a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. No more problem.

99GAman
09-13-2004, 11:21 PM
i saw some threads about it.....but since my car still has the warranty i might get it checked out....couldnt hurt i guess. where can i get aftermarket rods and lifters??

H.O. Driver
09-14-2004, 08:10 AM
i saw some threads about it.....but since my car still has the warranty i might get it checked out....couldnt hurt i guess. where can i get aftermarket rods and lifters??
You might have to go custom, don't know of a aftermarket company that speciallizes in them. I was going to replace them with new oem, once the cam comes out I am sure we will have a upgrade then.

Slim
09-14-2004, 08:14 AM
The ticking is lifter noise. Since we have hydraulic lifters, they take a bit of time to fill up with oil when the engine is first started. The longer the engine has been sitting and the colder it is, the longer the tick lasts.

It usually goes away after 10 seconds or so.

Piston slap has a deeper sound to it than lifter tick.

99GAman
09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
well is this a problem that i need to have fixed...or just overlook?

HotLikeFire
09-14-2004, 03:10 PM
I think I might have the piston slap, what is this and what can I do about it?

I have an extended warranty. :)

Actually im pretty sure im hearing both.. the ticking and the deeper noise.

01silverGT
09-16-2004, 05:47 AM
if you have piston slap and you are still under warrenty, take it into the dealer and they will give you this line of BS about how it's not detrimental to the longivety of the engine and will usually do nothing. then you can call customer assistance. they might do for you like they did for me.......4 year 100,000 mile warrenty on the engine! this covers everything, waterpumps, intakes, the whole nine yards! BUT IT HAS TO BE NOTED AT THE DEALER FIRST!

Slim
09-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Piston slap is not detrimental to the longevity of the engine. There are a lot of website that will tell you otherwise though. If it were true, then the people who run their 3.X V6 to 200K plus miles must be lucky.

Then again, I know lots of people who've done that.

01silverGT
09-16-2004, 08:38 AM
i know that it's not all i am saying is that is a way to get a 100,000 warrenty on the engine.......would you not want this Slim25?

Slim
09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
i know that it's not all i am saying is that is a way to get a 100,000 warrenty on the engine.......would you not want this Slim25?

I've already got an 80,000 warranty so I really don't care. Besides, if anything happens to my engine after that point, I'll fix it myself. I'm waiting for my warranty to end so I can start doing some serious wrench turning. :)

HotLikeFire
09-16-2004, 08:45 AM
100,000 extra miles?

I have an extended warranty that lasts me up to 100k mi's or 4 years, whichever comes first.

01silverGT
09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
I've already got an 80,000 warranty so I really don't care. Besides, if anything happens to my engine after that point, I'll fix it myself. I'm waiting for my warranty to end so I can start doing some serious wrench turning. :)

i could fix it myself also since i work at a gm dealer but i don't mind getting it done for free