New Rotors Warped!?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Rotors Warped!?!?!

AKTurbo
09-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi, long time surfer of this 4M, first time posting here. BTW thanks for the great info!

Wifeís 99 Grand AM GT 88K miles

Replaced the rotors and the new ones feel warped!!?? Iíve read this site for hours, still not sure what to do.

What else could be wrong? Replaced front and rear rotors/pads last weekend with NAPA Premium lifetime warranty rotors and pads. Went this route cause of the good warranty. The NEW rotors still feel like they are warped!! High speed slow downs are still scary shaky, but not as bad as before I replaced the rotors.

I did everything by the book, cleaned the surface of the hub before I put on the rotors, cleaned the rotors, didnít use an impact wrench, cross pattern torque to spec. Are there other parts that can cause this shaking when slowing down? Tire pressure is good, going to take it back in for another alignment job(doesnít pull left or right EVER, wasting my money), but not till after the car is out of the shop for the tranny! Iíve about had it with this water leaking, brake warping (4th set @ 88K mi), tranny slipping car.

NAPA said to take the rotors off and bring them back in, Iíve heard from a couple sources that rotors can get warped if they are stored on their side. Even NAPA validated this.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Ryan

atc3434
09-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if it was a bad set of rotors. Quality control ain't what it used to be. My mechanic got stuck with a bad hub assembly on my ride straight off the shelf. Troubleshooting the whole front end for noise when the root of the problem was the new part he had just replaced the week before, poor guy. Bet the shop that sold him the hub assembly got an earfull. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a bad part.

Fenderman
09-15-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah, about a year ago i purchased the cheapy $30 rotors from advanced auto and they were shaking as soon as i put them on. I replaced them with the $60 bendix which worked great for almost a year before warping again.

AKTurbo
09-15-2004, 09:27 AM
My only option is to replace the rotors again, lifetime warranty, just a pain since I had massive knee surgury a few weeks ago, have to sucker someone into helping me again.

These rotors weren't cheap, $430 before tax, I got them much cheaper under fleet discount. I wasn't far off from buying powerslots and PF pads, but that NAPA warranty was too good to pass.

If anyone else has ideas please let me know! I'll post my results from the newer rotors, but that is 2 weeks away before I'll get them changed. If they do it again I can always get my money back.

Is there something else to check?

Thanks for the replys.
Ryan

preed4962
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
My only option is to replace the rotors again, lifetime warranty, just a pain since I had massive knee surgury a few weeks ago, have to sucker someone into helping me again.

These rotors weren't cheap, $430 before tax, I got them much cheaper under fleet discount. I wasn't far off from buying powerslots and PF pads, but that NAPA warranty was too good to pass.

If anyone else has ideas please let me know! I'll post my results from the newer rotors, but that is 2 weeks away before I'll get them changed. If they do it again I can always get my money back.

Is there something else to check?

Thanks for the replys.
Ryan

Ummmmmmmmmm....... Please tell me the price for the rotors is a typo!!!!!!!!

AKTurbo
09-16-2004, 04:16 PM
No typo. I got them cheaper with a fleet discount. NAPA Premium( they sell 3 grades, premium is the best) rotors work in our HD trucks and SUVs, lifetime warranty, should be good enough for a GT. Performance I would have gone PS's, I wanted a working car that I don't have to worry about paying every year for new rotors.

Can something besides warped rotors cause the same effect as warped rotors?

Thanks,

brsexton
09-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Did you ever find what was causing your problem?

02PONtiac!
09-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Try some drilled'slotted rotors off ebay. I paid 200 for a set of 4 and they are working great. No warping so far after 25,000. Just a suggestion?????

brsexton
09-26-2004, 06:58 AM
Try some drilled'slotted rotors off ebay. I paid 200 for a set of 4 and they are working great. No warping so far after 25,000. Just a suggestion?????

What kind of pads did you use with your rotors?

02PONtiac!
09-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I used Bendix pads from Autozone.

feature_edit
10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Have those rotors melted down and made into some bling!! $430?? Dayum! I got the cheapest ones from Advance, and they stop without so much as a shimmy at any speed!

adammsu
10-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Have those rotors melted down and made into some bling!! $430?? Dayum! I got the cheapest ones from Advance, and they stop without so much as a shimmy at any speed!

yeah me too, they do squeak though (i think that the sliders are just old and the pad doesn't come off the rotor well)

EBlend
10-19-2004, 09:05 AM
i myself had the problem of warping rotors...afte replacing and putting new once in..and still getting warped..i realized...f this...i am getting a big brake kit..our calipers are whats causing this problem not the rotors!