Fixing defrost? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fixing defrost?

K2737
09-16-2004, 04:49 PM
One of the wires that comes from my pillar to the window broke off. Like the metal part that looks kinda like it is soldered on to the window came detached, so now my defrost doesnt work. Kinda want to get this fixed before winter, so can I repair this or am I going to have to bring it into a shop to do?

MagusXIII
09-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Adam, I suspect if you or a friend is proficient with a soldering iron, it can be re-soldered. Just do not let the heat get too high or hold the iron in one place too long.

K2737
09-16-2004, 05:39 PM
So it can be done...I am decent at soldering, but when I do it there are never any consequences so I might have to practice up some more. So all I need to do is solder it back onto the window. How easy is it to solder up like that? Might have to do some dry runs, and get some more info. Thanks!

AaronGAGT
09-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Um... dont re-solder it. They have Defrost Repair kits at most auto stores... Just ask someone that works there. Way easier than resoldering... comes in a tube with some glue type consistancy with metal/silver in it IIRC.

K2737
09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I know they make that stuff but I thought that stuff was just for the lines on the window not the actual metal thingy.

AaronGAGT
09-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I know they make that stuff but I thought that stuff was just for the lines on the window not the actual metal thingy.

It does both. Trust me on this one... I bought the little kit and fixed my broken line and stuck the piece back on there.

KPimm
09-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I have the same problem as K2737, and i've heard that 'tube stuff' doesn't work for a long time on this type of repair. The best fix it to replace the window, but I don't want to do that either. Would soldering hurt anything if you did it right? Because I don't want to do any half-ass fix jobs on my car.

K2737
09-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I can't imagine it is too easy to solder something above you...and there isn't too much room between the rear deck and the window. Also if you do it and crack the window or something that would just suck even more. I am going to try the stuff out of the bottle and hopefully it will at least last throughout the winter.

MagusXIII
09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Thinking more about this, here is how I would attempt a solder repair. First secure the wire lead to the window so that it does not drop down. Second, place something on the rear deck to catch drips. (duh!) :D Lastly, do it on a warm day.

I too considered Aaron's idea about using the glue kits. However, if the wire already became detached, what is to say the glue would hold? Also, how would the overall conductivity and resistance compare to a resolder? But that is a good idea to consider. I just considered the best, not so much the easiest, repair.

For those used to doing surface mount or circuit board soldering, this should be a very simple job compared to that. While soldering is hardly my area of expertise, I would recommend a trigger iron rather than a pencil iron. Not only do the trigger irons have finer tips, but I do feel that they cool down a lot faster if it is needed to back off on the heat.

As I said, just opinions though.

AaronGAGT
09-18-2004, 02:00 AM
I've used the "tube stuff" and its kept on there for 3 years including winters.

K2737
09-18-2004, 08:56 AM
3 years is good enough for me. Today i am going to go buy the stuff and try it out. KPimm, if you want to see how mine turned out or if i have any leftover you can use it shoot me a PM seeing how we are both in rochester. lol

EDIT: Well I picked up a kit from pep boys and it has specific instructions for fxing that tab thing. So later on I will try it and post back.

MagusXIII
09-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I've used the "tube stuff" and its kept on there for 3 years including winters.
Good enough for me as well. While I never have had that problem before, I will keep that in mind should I ever have it happen. Thanks for the info. :)

KPimm
09-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks K2737, but if it works I'll buy a tube incase the other side breaks too.

Infernall
09-19-2004, 08:01 PM
The defrost repair kit sold in most auto stores works wonders, just make sure you don't use too much, as its messy to get off.

You need to use JUST enough to make the connection.