Really need some help everyone... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Really need some help everyone...

Blu Scorpio
09-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Ok, here's my situation...

Recently, I changed my spark plugs and wires. My car was running ok before I changed the plugs and wires, but they hadn't been changed in 50,000 miles since I got the car so I did it for preventative maintenance. While I was changing the plugs, I stripped one and kinda forced it and I may have overtighened it to get it in. So I bought a spark plug tester so see if it was ok. It was firing and seemed good. I started the engine and let it run for about 20min and took it for a test drive and couldn't figure out why it was running so rough. Afterwards, I realized that I didn't have one of the spark plugs in the back in! Don't ask, I thought I had them all in. Anyway, after putting the plug in and checking everything again, it runs better, but I am still getting a really rough idle. While driving with the plug out, could I have clogged the cat converter or fuel filter? What else could have gone wrong here?

Thanks for any help anyone can give....I really don't want to take it to a dealer and get raped for hunreds of dollars.

action
09-17-2004, 11:29 AM
If you jammed one in, you may be losing compression on that cylinder.

Hopefully though you just have a couple plug wires reversed with each other, chek them first.

Rba007
09-17-2004, 11:53 AM
This sounds familiar..

Did you strip the plug, or the threads in the head?

AaronGAGT
09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Only one thread comes to mind reading this.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40297

Blu Scorpio
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Yes, cross threaded the plug...why did you link that other post to mind?

pontga00
09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Because you drove with the plug out...real bad idea.

Blu Scorpio
09-17-2004, 12:53 PM
I know it is a bad idea, but what could have happened to the engine by doing this?

AaronGAGT
09-17-2004, 12:56 PM
I know it is a bad idea, but what could have happened to the engine by doing this?

read the thread i attached... that will answer your question.

GALover
09-17-2004, 12:58 PM
See my signature. lol

Blu Scorpio
09-17-2004, 01:14 PM
That's funny GAlover. I bet you are on of those people that drives around with their seat back and playing Nelly on your Audiovox sound system thinking you are Vin Diesel. Putting a loud exhaust on your car does not make it a Porche, cool guy.

Rba007
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
WTF??? He was just referring to a thread we had a while ago of a genious that bought 5 plugs for his 6 cyl car...

Calm yourself. You sound pretty experienced with nelly, audiovox and fantasies of vin diesel. Creepy.

pontga00
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Calm yourself. You sound pretty experienced with nelly, audiovox and fantasies of vin diesel. Creepy.

No kidding huh...I bet he wrote the book.

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, I'll take a free stab that you could take at this problem. The car might have tried to compensate for the dead cylinder and could still be trying to do that. You might want to try pulling the negative battery terminal to reset the pcm, it might help. [2 cents]