loud noise, stuck/smoking brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : loud noise, stuck/smoking brakes

carsarecool
09-18-2004, 09:00 AM
alright last night my friend dropped me off to pick up my car from school, and it was all rainy so i decided to do a lil slide-out in the empty parking lot. eyah i know, ive seen other posts around here with people having problems from doing dumb stuff :whistle: i started to drive, pulled the ebrake around 5 mph and went to turn (still going slow, i didnt give it gas to try and swing the car yet) and i hear this loud BANG, twice, from the back and my brake pedal went real soft. my friend came back and my back wheels were dragging even with the ebrake off, i turned the car off and back on, pulled the ebrake, pumped the pedal and it seemed to be ok so i drove the 4 miles to my house. thinking i'm ok(the pedal is very soft by the time im halfway there) i pull in the driveway and theres this huge cloud of smoke POURING from my rear left wheel well. im thinkin, damn either the ebrake is stuck or the actual drum, i havent driven it yet, any other ideas? maybe i broke a line?

SublimeWind
09-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Do you use you Ebrake often??? if not they are prolly stuck.... You should have an adjuster on the inside of the drum brake to allow you to release the pads... once thats done, you'll prolly need at least one new drum and prolly a new PB cable if it's stuck...
Look here in the diagrams http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/09/e4/3b/0900823d8009e43b.jsp You can see an adjuster at the bottom of the brake (kinda looks like a star wheel with a shaft through it) you have to pull or knock out a plug on the INSIDE of the drum brake and back the adjuster off to relese the pads....

carsarecool
09-20-2004, 06:07 PM
haha, it was the backing plate for the left rear brake shoes, something snapped and they were just hanging there rubbing against the drum, making it smoke and it made fluid leak and sucked air into the brake lines every time i pushed the pedal. i had to downshift to stop when i was about halfway to the shop saturday, and put more fluid in. the backing plate was a "dealer part" so i had to wait til today to get it, they also put a new wheel cylinder in, 4 new brake shoes, resurfaced both drums and flush/bleed the lines. works good now, after $440.