Brake Caliper Slide Pins "Stuck" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper Slide Pins "Stuck"

landa220
09-19-2004, 09:37 AM
As the subject says, my driver's side caliper guide/slide pins have seized or are stuck.

I can remove the bolt, but the pin, boot, etc., will not budge (let alone slide) within the caliper bracket (I guess that's what it's called). Somehow, I'd like to free this slide pin so I can lubricate it and reassemble my brakes.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've tried banging it to break it loose with no luck. I'm about to use a pipe wrench to twist it out but need to know if this will cause harm. I plan to peel the boot back and pour some penetrating oil into it then use a couple of pipe wrenches, but am worried about harming something I can't see inside.

Please let me know what you think. Worse case, I'll replace the caliper but I want to freeing this pin first.

Thanks for your help.

Carlos

...thanks Jeremy

andrewe77
09-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Just did this this morning! There is that rubber boot around them that causes a suction that keeps them in place. If you break the seal from the rubber boot, they should slide out. I find it suprising that they would be completely seized in the bore. I suppose you could try some WD40 if you can get it under that boot. They are just pins, so any twisting won't hurt it. Just don't twist that boot.

andrewe77
09-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, make damned sure that you're using some loc-tite on those caliper bracket bolts. My service manual says to replace the front bolts if you break them loose but I felt this was unnecessary to do but it says that you definitely need the loc-tite. You don't want that braket coming loose at highway speeds!

The caliper bracket bolts also need to be torqued to 85 ft-lb. This is a lot easier if you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right so you can get a long torque wrench in there.

SublimeWind
09-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, make damned sure that you're using some loc-tite on those caliper bracket bolts. My service manual says to replace the front bolts if you break them loose but I felt this was unnecessary to do but it says that you definitely need the loc-tite. You don't want that braket coming loose at highway speeds!

The caliper bracket bolts also need to be torqued to 85 ft-lb. This is a lot easier if you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right so you can get a long torque wrench in there.

If your manual tell you to replace the bolts, it's prolly for a reasion..... Some bolts are (someone correct me if i'm wrong) "strech(sp?) to yield" which means once they are tightened to spec they have streched a certing ammount (kinda like "pre-load") and are designed that way... once the bolt is used it will not have the same properties when tightened again...

Again somebody correct me if i'm off base..!!

As for getting the bolt out, give the pipe wrench a try. It's doubtfull that using WD will help, thats alot of area for it to penitrate... The only other thing would be the heat wrench (torch) to heat the sucker up, that isn't a great idea because of cooking piston seals though...

You already know that if you mess up your gonna buy a new caliper, so what the hay.....

Wind

andrewe77
09-19-2004, 04:10 PM
This didn't look like that type of bolt. Mine went back on at 85 ft-lb just fine and I put loc-tite all along the threads so they don't back out. I'm guessing that GM is being cautious by recommending the replacement because they don't want any liability if the bracket comes loose. The manual doesn't say anything about replacing the bolts when you do the rears.

I've also done a search on the forum and I've never seen anyone state that they've replaced those bolts.

landa220
09-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks to all of your help. I'm done lol .

After soaking it with penetrating oil and using the pipe wrenches to wiggle it, they came out fine.

I cleaned them up and reinstalled them. I tightened it up to the max, but will go back in tomorrow or next day to put the lock-tite on.

Thanks everyone, your help was valuable.

Carlos

rreite2233
10-16-2004, 06:18 PM
my previous car (93 grand prix) had the same problem. If I remember right there was a recall on the brakes but that was way before I bought the car. My slides were rusted/seized together on my rear passenger side brake and working like crap on the other rear.

About once a year I had to force them apart and lube them up just to get them to work for another year or so. Thankfully I don't got that car anymore. ... .. ...