For those of you who've replaced your rotors... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who've replaced your rotors...

andrewe77
09-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Did you replace the caliper bracket bolts when doing the fronts like the GM service manual recommends?

brsexton
09-19-2004, 04:10 PM
GM only recommends it because they lnclude these with the stock GM pads. I have not found any aftermarket pads that come with them, so you would have to purchase them seperate. I really don't see any reason these would need to be replaced every time you replace the pads.

andrewe77
09-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm talking about the bolts that hold on the caliper bracket. They would only be loosened when you replace rotors, not pads.

brsexton
09-19-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm talking about the bolts that hold on the caliper bracket. They would only be loosened when you replace rotors, not pads.

Oh. My bad. They also say you should replace the bolt that holds the caliper when you replace the pads.(thats what I thought you meant) I think it all is a bunch of bull crap. The dealer don't replace them when they do brake rotors under warranty.

cavingman
09-19-2004, 07:20 PM
never ever done that, ever

Ishan
09-19-2004, 08:14 PM
I've replaced my rotors, and didn't change them, and i've had no problems.

eaglesrealm
09-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I even take off my calipers to change my front pads - just something I have always done on both my GAGT and my Alero that we had. Not sure why I prefer doing it that way on these model cars! :)

But no, I always reuse the existing bolts that are still stock to this day.

feature_edit
10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
No, I used the same bolts when I replaced the junk GM rotors.

eaglesrealm
10-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Take off the crappy stock GM rotors and replace them with cheap aftermarket rotors and you will be fine. I have yet to replace the GM caliper bolts on my 01 GA GT, nor do I lock-tite them. You can easily get them tight enough and I have never seen one on my car that is easy to get undone, so I am never worried about them loosening up and falling out. :)