Not another fuel filter thread! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Not another fuel filter thread!

coupe
09-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah i started another one.
Okay i tried to replace my fuel filter. A really easy simple no brainer type of task im sure alot of you know. The 99-00 i understand have a different type of plastic "clip" making this a little more harder job than an 01-04. I said what the hell how hard can it be? its just a fuel filter.
I cant get it out. As soon as i touched it all the black plastic tabs litteraly snapped off. No matter what i do i cant get it to come out. After about 2 hours of being really pi$$ed off and swearing from under my car i gave up. So I went to screw the filter back in and i get it all tight. I notice fuel coming out behind the nut on the fuel line. Now im REAL pi$$ed off. I cant get it to stop. After i turn the car off it drips about 1 drop every 2 minutes for about 20 minutes then stops. Obviously there is no more pressure from the fuel pump and it eventually stops.

How do i get this damn fuel filter off and get the leak/drip thing to stop?

Im so upset that this fuel filter is kicking my @ss like a red headed step child.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

coupe
09-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Anyone?

93 octain is being wasted on my garage floor. :violin

GM_MAN
09-20-2004, 01:06 PM
DUDE!! I had the same problem, except on a 99 Chevy Cavalier which uses the same fuel filter design. What I had to do to get the thing off was use a sawz-all electric saw, and cut the fuel filter out. Once the main part of the fuel filter was cut out, I used needle nose pliers to get the small inlet pipe (the small pipe that clips into the fuel line) out of the fuel line (I placed the saw blade down at the end of the large part of the fuel filter, cutting where the small pipe feeds into the filter). I did this by basically mutilating the thing with the pliers until it decided to give up and let go. Does that all make sense? Luckily, I don't know how I managed to do this without damaging the corresponding clamp in the fuel line. Finally I was able to get the new fuel filter in and everything worked ok.

I'm sure there is probably a better way to do it, but this worked for me.

Good luck man. I feel your pain!!

GM_MAN

coupe
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Im more concerned about getting the leak to stop now than anything.

JohnnyB4439
09-20-2004, 04:10 PM
How do i get this damn fuel filter off and get the leak/drip thing to stop?

just kept working at it, took needle nose plyers and got all up in there, and it kept breaking off but after like 4 hours later it finally busted loose, shell come off just need to get involved. lol ...and im sure the leaking will stop when you get the new one on there.

ps...nice sig lol

Pvt_Murphy
09-20-2004, 04:20 PM
can you clap the fuel line delivering the fuel?
or put a 180 degree bent in to to stop the leaking for now?

coupe
09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
clap the fuel line?
180 bent?

what?

Pvt_Murphy
09-20-2004, 06:12 PM
*clamp, *bend; my bad; this is what happens after 8+ hours of class.
anyway; something like this to stop the leaking on the fuel line comming from the tank untill you get the new filter in place succesfully.

juanvan
09-21-2004, 05:29 AM
^^ i don't think thats going to work
There is a tool you can get to remove those plastic clips...
Not realy the best, but my brother uses them, i just stick with a screwdriver

take off the fuel filter and try again, you need to get a good seal in the metal line and the filter. Use line wrenches! It will save a whole buch of headaches later in life

GM MAN ~ you like alexander if the problem look hard, just cut it in half lol

Kinda like the old carbs, and they are no fun when you bend a line a little...

tenspeed
09-21-2004, 08:05 AM
It only took me about eight hours to remove that broken clip.

The clip is supposed to push four metal fingers out of the way so the filter will slip off the fuel line. I used a part of the cone thing that comes with RTV sealant. Cut it and slit it up the side so you have a small tube that slips over the fuel line. Slide it toward the filter and it pushes the fingers back so you can release the filter. You may have to cut an additional piece to fill it all in. I also used some aluminum foil around the line to shim it out.

The idea it to get something that will fit up in there and push those metal fingers back.

Panacea
09-21-2004, 09:26 AM
I broke mine off as well. I had to take it to the dealership to have them replace it, and it took them a half hour or so to remove it. When I got it changed the second time, the dealership made a warranty claim and replaced fuel pump, or whatever needs to be replaced that attaches to the fuel filter. Saved me $500 :)

coupe
09-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Ive never used line wrenches before. I dont think i have any.

Im gonna try one more time, if i cant get it im taken it somewhere. I cant really afford to pay anyone for anything right now but i might have to. However i think a shop is gonna have just as hard a time as i did. I cant take being on my back much more. My shoulders and shoulder blades are really sore from laying on the cement for so long. Gas in the eyes is no fun either.

I cant bend or clamp the fuel line. Its my daily driver. Its not really a leak its just a small drip and it only drips about once every 2 minutes for about 20 minutes after i shut the car down then it stops. None the less i dont like any fluids driping/leaking out of my vehicles, it drives me nuts.

Pvt_Murphy
09-21-2004, 11:26 AM
dude: lay a cardboard under the car; and lay ont that

RedGT2004
09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
hey coupe if you have $40 take it the dealership and have them change it for you. The filter will cost you like $18 and labor $22.

coupe
09-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I know im an idiot. Ive spent about 6 hours on that cement and man am i sore. I dint think it would take that long and 6 hours later.....
I already have the filter so all i have to pay is the labor. Ill let ya know what happens. I cant take it in until tomorrow. I have a nice little shop down the road with fair prices plus they like my car. Im sure they will cut me a deal. My girls dad owns a Muffler Man who would do it for free but its almost an hour and a half away. Im better off paying $40.

coupe
09-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I had my little shop do it. $30 later and im a little more happy. When i go to change it next time it will be alot easier.