Engine Shuts off Randomly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Shuts off Randomly

Justin e36
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey... new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I don't know anything about Grand Am's... I haven't even been in one yet. (I'm a BMW enthusiast)... in either case, a friend of mine is having a problem with her 2002 Grand Am GT ... and apparently I'm the one who's going to fix it. I've never worked on a GA ... so as much information as possible would be helpful.

This has happened twice now while on the highway:

All the lights on the guage cluster come on. Engine shuts off + stereo + everything electrical. She has to safely pull over, and restart the car. This happened for the first time 2 days ago. Since then she now has two lights on her dashboard which refuse to turn off. the Check Engine light and some type of Service light. Also an oil change light.. (she's 1000k overdue... another one of my upcoming jobs.)

Now today on her way to work.. again on the highway. Same thing... engine dies on her... but the car will start back up soon after.

I'm guessing it's a fuel related problem? .. (fuel pump or relay perhaps?).. however would everything electrical (i.e. stereo) shut off too in this instance?

Was there a recall about this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way... her car is stock.

Justin

CoopGT
09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Is she over 36,000 miles yet ? I'd take it in under warrenty .

Justin e36
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Yes unfortunately her warranty is over. She's up to 86,000km.

MetaGTP1
09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey... new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I don't know anything about Grand Am's... I haven't even been in one yet. (I'm a BMW enthusiast)... in either case, a friend of mine is having a problem with her 2002 Grand Am GT ... and apparently I'm the one who's going to fix it. I've never worked on a GA ... so as much information as possible would be helpful.

This has happened twice now while on the highway:

All the lights on the guage cluster come on. Engine shuts off + stereo + everything electrical. She has to safely pull over, and restart the car. This happened for the first time 2 days ago. Since then she now has two lights on her dashboard which refuse to turn off. the Check Engine light and some type of Service light. Also an oil change light.. (she's 1000k overdue... another one of my upcoming jobs.)

Now today on her way to work.. again on the highway. Same thing... engine dies on her... but the car will start back up soon after.

I'm guessing it's a fuel related problem? .. (fuel pump or relay perhaps?).. however would everything electrical (i.e. stereo) shut off too in this instance?

Was there a recall about this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way... her car is stock.

JustinSee if you can have a code read done on the SES light and the SVS light. When you extract those codes, you will know the action required to get the problem resolved. :)

Dan00GPGT
09-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Could be ignition switch as well. If that's clicking off due to being worn out it would cause the above problems.

HotLikeFire
09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
where do you go to get code readings and how much does it cost?

CoopGT
09-21-2004, 05:33 PM
You can get it done for free at Autozone .

Justin e36
09-24-2004, 07:25 AM
interesting.
is there a way to check the error codes myself? (I know with BMW there is a way to do diagnostics w/o the diagnostic tool by turning the key into POS2 then stomping on the gas pedal 5 times in a row... then the dashboard will light up with a bunch of readings / result codes and such...)

Ignition switch... that's a good idea, never thought of that. Now, the thing is... the car takes around 5 mins before you can start it again... would that still be an ignition switch problem?

MetaGTP1
09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
interesting.
is there a way to check the error codes myself? (I know with BMW there is a way to do diagnostics w/o the diagnostic tool by turning the key into POS2 then stomping on the gas pedal 5 times in a row... then the dashboard will light up with a bunch of readings / result codes and such...)

Ignition switch... that's a good idea, never thought of that. Now, the thing is... the car takes around 5 mins before you can start it again... would that still be an ignition switch problem?You could purchase an OBD2 Code Reader Scan Tool from an Auto Parts store.

Slim
09-24-2004, 07:33 AM
All the lights on the cluster lighting up is an indication of an electrical problem for sure. The two lights you'll see are "Service Engine Soon" and "Service Vehicle Soon". You can get the SES light codes read at any garage. If you're in a pinch, you can also go to a Canadian Tire. IIRC they don't charge to have codes read, and if they do, it's not much ($10 or so).

I remember someone on here having alternator problems and the whole cluster lit up before the car shut down.

Best bet, have the codes read and start from there....

Licit
09-24-2004, 05:50 PM
I have had the same thing occur and it is possible she has what I do. I did get a check engine light and when I got the code read I found out my camshaft position sensor is out. I posted on here about it asking what can happen but ended up having to find out myself. Three times the car has shut off, but all three times was below highway speeds. It does start back up. Granted her mileage is lower than mine, I am at 89,500 miles but she may just need a new camshaft position sensor. Just my two cents.

Justin e36
09-26-2004, 09:36 AM
thanks for the replies everyone... I'll take it to get the fault codes read and update you guys on what I find...

much appreciated.

J

Blight
11-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Well mine just started to shutoff. Figured it was the battery since it was 60k old and i didnt have any SES lights. Mine would shut off on the highway and would restart after 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Did it 4 times before i could get a battery. Everything was cool for 3 days then all a sudden tonight it shut off on the highway 2 times. It sputters the revs before it shuts down completely. Now SES, and the lights and radio work perfectly. I took off my Throttle Position Enhancer (which has been on for over 6 moths) and it still was the same problem. Its at a garage right now, ill post a followup next weekend.

videoman
11-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem today... I went to make a left turn....as soon as I signaled all my lights in my gauge cluster came on and the car stalled. I went over to my dealership and they said the PCM corrected itself on the problem...but I think it might be due to a power shortage or problems with steady current from the battery.

Carmaniac
11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
maybe its the starter. this happened to my moms saturn and it was determined it was the starter. they replaced it and it worked fine after.