Popping sound from front door [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound from front door

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I am not sure where this came from, but I am now getting a "popping" sound everytime I open my door and close it. I have an 02 GAGT coupe... Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I got some waterproof silicon lube and sprayed it on there and it's still popping... What would be causing that and is there anything I can look at to see what it might be... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Anyone have any clues???

Panacea
09-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Sounds like the door just needs to be lubed.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 06:34 PM
where should I lube it, and what should I get to use? y is it popping though?

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 06:36 PM
lube it at the hinges of course. Thats probably what it is.

Panacea
09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
I used white lithium grease (bought at Menards in the auto section). Just put a gob of it in the middle rod thing that goes in the door. stick your finger with the grease in as far as you can and then open and shut the door several times to get the grease on the track. You could also try lubing the hinges too.

sicc
09-21-2004, 06:54 PM
tighten the bolt thats on the middle hinge of the door. mine popped because that bolt wasnt all the way tightened.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I tried lubing it, I tried tightening all the bolts, it still pops! What gives????

sicc
09-21-2004, 07:10 PM
u may have to punch it a few times...

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Punch it????? Could something my door be broken or somethin?

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 08:24 PM
I believe Sicc can give you pointers on punching the door.... lmao lol

BTW are you sure its the actual door popping and not something inside the door? our windows are known for breaking or at least the clips that connect the window to the regulator.

Your door could be out of align too, not sure how that would happen unless you were in a wreck recently but hey im just throwing ideas because i havent seen your car and dont know the circumstances.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey SC/T,

Well, I don't think it's the window ONLY because I just had the regulator replaced about 3 weeks ago.. The window rolls up and down quietly so I kinda ruled that out. The car has NEVER been in a wreck. I took the car to a carwash today (hand wash) and I don't know if the mexican's in there did something or what, but I noticed the popping tonight when I got home... I also checked to see if the door was rubbing on the fender, but it is not. I lubed the crap out of it, and tried tightening the 3 bolts inside the door but nothing. The squeak DEFINATELY is coming from the door. It's a "clicking" sound... It's really weird....I'm going to goto the body shop tom to have some headlight covers painted, so I'm thinking maybe they'd be able to find the problem, what do you think?

Jeff

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Im sure the body shop could figure it out. Sounds like a portion of the door is hitting something else somewhere, makeing that sound. That would have to be the case if you have lubed everything up and its still doing it. Did you make sure theres no leaves or something down between the door hinge area and the actual body of the car.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 08:47 PM
SC/T,

Yeah, nothings caught I looked! How would the door shift though? Could the carwash guys have somehow moved it or something??? I've had the car for 2 years and until tonight it's never done that! I just find it very ironic... the bolts are tight so how could it have moved?

cavingman
09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
watch the very front edge of the door where it meets the fender when you open it. look at the actual panel behind the sideskirt. thats where mine was making popping noises. was bending the whole fender in.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Dang, well I keep lookin and don't see it hitting, the fender isn't moving... theres a gap between the door and the fender

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 08:57 PM
did you make sure that the door isnt somehow hitting that black grommet that the wires go thru? As for the door shifting im not sure, if it did it would definately be an odd deal. Did the carwash guys detail the car? as in clean inside and clean the door jamb? could be they sprayed some stuff on the door hinges that took all the grease off. Id go mess with the door a little more and put more grease on it, id be willing to bet it would eventually help.

If all else fails let the body shop look at it as last resort.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
SC/T

Yes, they cleaned the door jambs... Not sure if they used any type of a spray... It just seems like no matter how much crap i'm sticking in there (grease) it's still popping.. I honestly don't see the door and the fender hitting i watched it open and close a few times... I'm kind of out of ideas here... guess i'll just have ot let the body shop take a stab at it....would a lack of grease make it pop though? I'd think that would make it squeak or stick....

jeff

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I would guess squeak too but you never know. Also make sure they didnt mess with the door panel any- make sure its all the way on. As well as the triangle at teh top with the tweater in it. Also that piece that goes at the bottom of the door by the seat, make sure its pushed all the way down. Thats my only guesses without actually seeing the car.

cavingman
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
also check the door check. does the door open part way and stop like it should? or does it swing the whole way

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Door check works... the click or "pop" usually comes if I open the door all the way then close it... The door panel, and triangle thing with the tweeter in it look ok... I'm at a lost ):could the hinge or something actually be broken somehow or somethin??

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 09:27 PM
I doubt your hinge is broken, the door wouldnt open at all then, or if the door opened it would fall to the ground. Compare the hinge to the drivers door hinge to make sure it looks the same. By the way you say the door pops when you open it all the way and then try to close it narrows it down to the hinge or the door actually hitting something. Ive seen cars that doors have popped but they have been in wrecks and the fender is pushed backwards towards the door.

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 09:29 PM
also try some diffrent grease like WD-40 and see if the liquid stuff works any better. That lithium grease is much better stuff and lasts longer but sometimes it doesnt hit the spot being thicker than liquid grease.

SC/TGrandAm
09-21-2004, 09:50 PM
I just went outside and looked/listened to mine because i was stumped and come to find out mine makes a very small popping noise as well. If its completely quiet i can hear it, its not a loud noise at all so if yours is loud its abnormal. It comes from a catch in the hinge so the door will stay open so you can get out. Theres 2 catches one midway and one at full extension. So theres 2 small pops thats normal.

BadGT471
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
SC/T,

This is abnormal. It's pretty audible... it's not quiet... the passenger door makes no noise... If it's the 2 clicks from the hinge, could something be broken or something? the door opens and closes fine, just makes this noise all the sudden.

BadGT471
09-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Well, I got the issue resolved. It seems that all it needed was a good lube and to have the door shut all night. I went out this morning and the popping was totally gone. It hasn't done it all day (knock on wood)! I took it to the body shop and they looked at the hinges and the alignment. Everything is ok, must have just been the lack of lube and i guess the hinge sitting in the door all night solved the issue! Anyways, thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it!

Jeff

AaronGAGT
09-22-2004, 08:36 PM
watch the very front edge of the door where it meets the fender when you open it. look at the actual panel behind the sideskirt. thats where mine was making popping noises. was bending the whole fender in.

thats my problem! how'd you fix it?

BadGT471
09-22-2004, 08:49 PM
My ONLY guess to that one would be to realign the door so it's not hitting it... You may want to take it to a body shop or the dealership to have it done...

AaronGAGT
09-23-2004, 10:09 AM
My ONLY guess to that one would be to realign the door so it's not hitting it... You may want to take it to a body shop or the dealership to have it done...

Meh... i dunno about that. It looks more like the rib is knicking the fender when it opens or closes... you may be right tho... if thats the case... I have no monies.

preed4962
09-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I realize you solved the problem, but I thought this may help....

Creak Noise When Opening or Closing Doors (Apply Lubricant to Check Link) #01-08-64-020B - (Feb 5, 2004)
Creak Noise When Opening or Closing Doors (Apply Lubricant to Check Link)
2001-2003 Chevrolet Malibu

2004 Chevrolet Classic

2001-2004 Oldsmobile Alero

2001-2004 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin is being revised to update the labor operation. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-64-020A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a creak or squeak noise when opening or closing one or more doors.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the door check link spring saddle.

Correction

Important
To prevent overspray from landing on the door glass, make sure all windows are rolled up before applying the lubricant to the check link.

Slide the check link grommet back and spray GM LubriplateŽ Lubricant, PN 89021668 (in Canada, use P/N 89021674), or equivalent, on the check link saddle using a "straw" type nozzle extension. The nozzle extension should be inserted slightly into the opening above the check link arm and sprayed toward the outside of the door. If the nozzle is inserted too far into the door, it will go past the check link spring saddle and the lubricant will miss its target. Move the nozzle back and forth while spraying to distribute the lubricant. Open and shut the door until the noise is gone. Reinstall the check link grommet in the door.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

89021668 (US)

89021674 (Canada)
GM LubriplateŽ Lubricant

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B9715
Link or Spring, Front Door Hold Open - Lubricate Door Check Link (One or All)
0.2 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.