Condensation in headlight [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in headlight

Dan71
09-23-2004, 10:12 AM
After all the rain, my left headlight has condensation all over the lens. I called the dealer, they said the GM extened warranty will not cover that. He told me $40. labor to have a new light installed. When I called parts, they told me $265.00 for a new lens housing! OUCH!!

any suggestions? Thanks, Dan

Slim
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Call another dealership if you can. Did he explain why is wasn't covered under warranty?

Dan71
09-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Call another dealership if you can. Did he explain why is wasn't covered under warranty?
Just told me GM will not cover the headlight housing's. We have the Major guard I believe. Whatever the best GM extended warranty is, thats what we have.

I looked real close at the headlight lens, I don't see where the water is coming from.

Rba007
09-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Remove the lense (run a razor blade between it and the housing, all around it). Then re-seal it with some windsheild sealant silicone. Ive done it quite a few times. Do a search for better instructions.

02andahalfgt
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
That's odd. They covered mine under the original warranty and you paid for an extended warranty and they won't help you? Way to screw over customers GM :thumbs: lol

john_ertw
09-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I've had them changed last week on my grand am with the original warranty, but on our gm minivan which is on the extended warranty it was not covered. They quoted us some insane price for the part (like yours) so we decided to let it go. I've heard about the sealant thing you can do which should be much cheaper. Ask around about that. Or if you really want try a scapyard (maybe find a totaled GA).

tenspeed
09-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Moisture is either getting in through a bad seal or from the light sockets.

Take the headlight out and dry the housing. A hair dryer on cool should speed up the process. Inspect the seals around the lens and the sockets.

Dan71
09-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I found them brand new on ebay for $75.00. Im buying both for that price. I was going to get some clear silicone and make another bead around the lens and housing.