Single side jack-up? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Single side jack-up?

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I searched and the info i found was about lifting the front end, or the back end, or jacking for a single tire with the spare-jack.

My question=Is it safe to jack one side up with one jack, say to swap the front and back tires? I've got 2/32" on the front, and 4/32" on the back, and they need a desperate swap. (I'll be replacing them in a few weeks, so don't think I am all too crazy for driving my 'almost-slicks')

I use jack stands for safety, but the ones I have make it seem like if I set the car down on them that it would bend the frame?

abusedgt97
09-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Are you talking about jacking the car in the center of the rail on one side of the car? And then swapping the front and rear tire? You can do it, You shouldnt have any problems, but then again I wouldnt do it because I do not trust those crappy jacks. If you do it make sure you use jack stands and keep arms and legs clear at all times.

abusedgt97
09-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Personally I would just jack up the front, take the tire off, lower the front subframe on a cement block, jack up the rear alittle to get the tire off, and swap them.

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Yes, I am talking about jacking it in the center of the rail on one side and swapping tires, or doing whatever i would do with one side up. I'm talking about using my 3 ton jack, and possibly a block of wood between the car and the jack, not the spare crapjack.

AznGA
09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
I would just jack up each corner one at a time. You can't be too careful with those things.

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
The main point of the question was whether or not the frame could take the weight at that point, can it be done without damage, I dont really see a way that the car would fall off the jack, I just dont want to bend the frame, is there a cut-out area under there just like there is for the 4 hoist points?

RedGT2004
09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I wouldnt jack up car in the middle. I would jack up the car at either red point. Then put a jack where the blue dot is (blue=notch in frame rail). Do the same in the back and you should be fine.
BTW thats Icemans car
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/RedGT/front2.jpg

95-GT
09-23-2004, 07:47 PM
You CAN jack it in the middle, but DO NOT use the scissor jack. Use a hydraulic jack with jack stands once its lifted.

Just for referance, you can jack it up on the engine cradle also, but not for swapping tires

iceman
09-23-2004, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't jack in the middle, when the stock jack points will lift both the front and rear tires.

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I think Ill just find my other jack somewhere and lift at both the front and back points in unison. Two jacks doesnt seem to bad, I am still confused over his red dot, blue dot stuff, but I recognize the iceman car pic from when I searched before.

Thanks guys!!

95-GT
09-23-2004, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't jack in the middle, when the stock jack points will lift both the front and rear tires.

When I worked with Discount, we would jack right in the middle just for speed and had no problems what-so ever.

RedGT2004
09-23-2004, 08:12 PM
I think Ill just find my other jack somewhere and lift at both the front and back points in unison. Two jacks doesnt seem to bad, I am still confused over his red dot, blue dot stuff, but I recognize the iceman car pic from when I searched before.

Thanks guys!!

Sorry lets try this again. I would use jack and jack it up at either red point and I say either because Im not sure if you can jack up the car on the first red dot(closest to the front of the vehicle) since you have side skirts in your way. Just get the vehicle high enough where you can take the tires off. While car is being lifted by jack put a jack stand where the blue dot is at. After you have the jack stand under the frame rail notch lower the jack so the car is resting on the jack stand instead of the jack. Then do the same in the back.

tenspeed
09-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I also have a 2002 and would never jack from the center to raise both tires. The reason is that the rail that you put the jack on will collapse and if on the drivers side, it would damage the fuel and brake lines.

I have done the center jack thing on my '96 Achieva however. I am already looking to reinforce the '02 recommended jack points because they have bent. I noticed it when I was installing my underbody lights.

Use a jack and a jack stand or use your two jacks.

ChadGT
09-24-2004, 06:56 AM
i'm stuck just using the stock scissor jack when lifting our 2001 since my 3ton doesn't fit under the front anywhere. regardless, when i jack with the scissor jack in the front wheel slot on either side, it lifts that ENTIRE side up, front and back, enough to pull both tires if need be. although that really doesn't help for tire rotation because the front goes to same side back, but back goes to opposite side front....

chad

2002AmSE
09-24-2004, 07:39 AM
At stock height with mine, I will usually have to lift the car up about 2 inches to get the jack down there. 2 person process though, with one person lifting and one person sliding it down there. Big jack, hehe. I doubt that would work for a drop kit though, the spring travel isnt enough

pontga00
09-24-2004, 08:08 AM
although that really doesn't help for tire rotation because the front goes to same side back, but back goes to opposite side front....

chad

Not if you have aftermarket wheels and the tires are directional...then you have to go front to same side back and back to same side front...

95-GT
09-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Actually, on my 95 with it lowered, I could lift it with 1 arm and slide the jack under with the other.