Battery, Alternator, or BOTH?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery, Alternator, or BOTH??

hoobasta4
09-25-2004, 11:42 AM
hey hey,

I have a 2001 GA SE V6. I went to start my car this morning (sat. sept 25) to go to work. well i turn the key and my car tries to turn over but doesn't.. and then the next time i turned the key, basically nothing. my headlights come on but EXTREMELY, VERY EXTREMELY dim. also my dome light inside the car is extremely dim. Do you think it could be that my battery went out or could it be the alternator, or even both the batter and alternator? I have not noticed any unusual noises, vibrations, diming of lights or anything of that sort since I got my car a year ago. It just happened that i woke up.. and tried to start but it didn't. I drove it last night to take my girlfriend home and everything was fine. I pulled in the driveway, into the garage, shut off the car closed my door all the way, made sure the dome light and headlights went off.. so I don't know why it died. a few guys i've been talking to say it is probably just the battery. so I went and bought a new one but haven't installed it yet because i have the battery here with me at work and my car is still at home. but do you guys think it is the battery, alternator, or both? thanks!

hooby

mcgrady
09-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Best thing to do is get an amperage voltage resistance test done. It'll tell you what is going on before you go replacing unneeded parts.

If I was to venture a guess though, I'd say the battery is toast. Alternator failure isn't common on these cars.

Coop
09-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Right now your battery is dead. Possible causes would be: alternator crapped out awhile ago and battery was constantly being drained while driving - this would cause the battery light to be on on the dash aswell, something in the car was on causing the battery to drain, or the battery just crapped out. In extreme cases I've seen bad engine grounds, etc, cause this sort of thing but very doubtful. The test mcgrady's talking about will help to figure out what's going on.

The alternator doesn't do anything until the engine is running so it won't cause an engine not to start directly, but if it isn't charging the battery it can indirectly cause it not to start.

If it was me, I'd get it jumpstarted and see what kind of voltage you got at the battery, if it's 12-13 volts or less when the engine is running you have a bad alternator and the battery prolly just needs charged not replaced.

2002AmSE
09-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Best thing to do is get an amperage voltage resistance test done. It'll tell you what is going on before you go replacing unneeded parts.

If I was to venture a guess though, I'd say the battery is toast. Alternator failure isn't common on these cars.

Are you sure? My moms GA had one go, same with two of my friends' ga's, and our past GA had one go too, I people saying they go pretty often here.

Unless yesterday you had the battery light come on as you were driving home, your alternator should be just fine. Personally I would try to charge it because it could be possible that something inside the car was left on and drained it, but it is definetly battery related because a car will start just fine with a failed alternator, its just that when the battery eventually goes dead with a bad alternator the car will stop on the road or the next time it starts it might not start, but in that case you would have seen a charging indictator light(the battery light).

juanvan
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Happened to me the alt was good the battery was just not taking a charge
Changed the battery worked fine since last year

g/l

StephenM
09-27-2004, 10:29 AM
This is definetly the battery and not the alternator. If it was the alternator, then you would have noticed the difference while you were driving. Your battery ran out of juice, but when the car is running, the alternator keeps the battery charged. What happened was your battery got so low that it would barely start, but then the alternator picked up the charge and let you drive with no issues, then the next time you tried to start the battery was completely dead. You'll know if your alternator is bad cause your lights and everything will start going dim and the car will die while you are driving. If it runs perfect while driving and just won't start, it's not your alternator.

zeddsdead
09-27-2004, 12:40 PM
i dont know but maybe...just maybe..the terminals are loose or very dirty? :)

GAGTSCTGuy
09-27-2004, 04:04 PM
AutoZone can test both your battery and alternator, for free if I am not mistaken.

Coop
09-27-2004, 04:15 PM
AutoZone can test both your battery and alternator, for free if I am not mistaken.
yep, they will, but I wouldn't buy anything there. Autozone=garbage

Amber99ga
09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
alternators = poop mine went in my car at some point last summer...I don't remember my mileage I think it was around 80,000. But it did happen while I was in motion not trying to start my car.

GrandAmChick
09-27-2004, 05:01 PM
i dont know but maybe...just maybe..the terminals are loose or very dirty? :)

Try tightening em cuz that actually happened to my car's battery (Optima red top) recently. Would start up fine 1 day, next time I put the key in n turn n nothing at all happens. 3x in a row n then it suddenly just started up fine. 1 terminal got loose.