Turn Signal Clicking randomly... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Clicking randomly...

VaGT
09-27-2004, 05:51 AM
This morning, my wonderful piece of GM reliability, started clicking. The sound you hear when you put on the turn signals clicks away randomly, sometimes for a few seconds of really rapid clicks. The turn signals still work, and the random clicking is not randomly activating the lights (thankfully).

Is this the Hazard Switch recall that I never took my car in for?

H.O. Driver
09-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Is this the Hazard Switch recall that I never took my car in for?
Yes, that is whats causing it

AznGA
09-27-2004, 01:56 PM
My 02 had that problem. Fixed under warranty.

perfguy
09-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I have the same exact problem! When I use the blinkers it will start clicking afterwards. It sometimes will go crazy and start blinking really fast like ten times in a row. The dealer tried the recall procedure by putting in a new hazard switch but it didn't help. They traced it down to a bad relay and ordered the part. I'll have to find out if this fixes it.

AznGA
09-28-2004, 04:33 AM
My problem was actually a signal switch lever itself.

VWC
09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
This sounds like the same problem I had. Replacing the hazard switch does not help. The problem is contaminated grease has bridged contacts in the multifunction switch. Even a weekend mechanic like myself was able to fix it in 40 minutes. Need T10 and T20 star wrenches and some dialectric grease. Take the plastic top off the stearing column. Unplug the three wiring harnesses from the back of the switch. Remove the single Torx screw in the center top of the switch. Pull the multifunction switch out. Bring it somewhere where your comfortable with a lot of light. Open up the back by removing 7 Torx screws. The back still will not come off until you gently pry off a plastic retainer. It is hard to see. If you look at the switch from the back, it is on the top left edge of the switch. Pry the bottom switch housing out a little and the retainer will come loose. You will be dismayed when you open the switch housing an a long spring comes loose. Don't worry. It is easy to see how to replace it when it comes time to put the switch back together. Open up the housing and you will see the dirty grease on the contacts. I used alchohol and a lot of Q-tips to carefully clean all the contacts on the inside. I would look closely between the metal contact where grease may have bridged the gap and clean these gaps with a small knife. Relubricate the switch. I added a very small amount of dialectric grease to each of the round contact points. Put it back together in reverse order. Note that there is a metal pin on the front of the switch that you will need to push-in behind a circular contact plate while you guide the switch in place. Done!! Oh the sound of silence!!!

2002AmSE
10-01-2004, 06:56 PM
It wasnt the hazard recall for my car, it is the actual turn signal switch, and under the last 200 miles of my warrenty they replaced the hazard switch, which i was sure wasnt the problem, and it has been still doing it, but now im out of warrenty, I think I should bring my receipt with me and go in there and see if I can get that done since its under the GM warrenty record as a problem.