Anyone know how to disable this? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to disable this?

SC/TGrandAm
09-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Anybody know how to disable this and uninstall it from the car?

http://www.weatherbase.org/kcgactest/forum/uploaded/rippclaw/dsc01289.jpg

iceman
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
What is it?

bumpn_gt
09-28-2004, 03:02 PM
looks to me like a remote bass control plug-in....I could be wrong.....

mightypan42
09-28-2004, 03:10 PM
What does it go to?

Looks kinda like a phone jack to me, but I'm medicated.

SC/TGrandAm
09-28-2004, 05:29 PM
It seems to be one of those things the dealer puts on your car to shut it off if you dont pay your bills.

This isnt in my car its someone elses, the guy bought it like that and the box is causing the car to trip out and setting off the security light- keeping the car from starting. The box was put on from a past owner and the car lot he bought it from doesnt use those boxes so it needs to be removed because of the issues its causing.

Im going to guess its pretty obvious the starter wire has been cut and somehow wired into this box. I would think it would be an easy uninstall. Kill power to box, disconnect box and all components and wire starter wire back together and good to go right?

mr_eh
09-28-2004, 05:38 PM
maybe he is really an undercover cop working to infiltrate the street racing scene?

SC/TGrandAm
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
haha, nice but i doubt it. In that case he would have super uber cool missles that come out of the side of the car . !

2003GaGt1
09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I have seen it before, in a neon this kid had. He had really bad credit so he bought the car off some cheap car lot and had to make weekly payments, if he missed 1 payment the car would remote shut down.

SC/TGrandAm
09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
now were getting somewhere haha, at least someone has seen these "black boxes" before. Im going to assume since theres so many people here that has actually seen these that nobody has uninstalled one before... damn i hate being the guinea pig. lol

Black03SC/T
09-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Im not sure of what it is, but I have heard of people who have been caught drunk driving too many times that have to put something like that in there car and hook it up to blow into. If you blow anything, the car wont start. Suppose to stop the drunks from being able to drive, therefore the previous owner may have had a few violations, not sure, just my .02.

Sleepwalkr
09-28-2004, 08:49 PM
It almost looks like something I've seen on a couple of Oldsmobile Silhouettes. On those, its a second plug for the ignition. You have to have it plugged in before you can insert the key in the ignition and start the car. If its not that, then I don't know. I would suggest just cutting the wire if dudes concerned about it being something to shut him off if he doesn't pay his bill..... but then with my luck, that would disable the whole damn car. lol

SC/TGrandAm
09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
No its not even "armed" i guess you could say, meaning the car dealership he bought the car from doesnt use these black boxes from what I gather. Otherwise disableing the box would probably be illegal.

action
09-29-2004, 05:03 AM
Just trace the wiring back to the splices, size it all up and remove it. cant be much more than a couple power wires and a cut ignition wire.