Help with FFP UD Pulley Installation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help with FFP UD Pulley Installation

GAGTSCTGuy
09-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Ok I've searched, and read every thread on this topic, and I've found every bit of information that I could, except one piece.

Everyone keeps saying, when tightening the bolt on the new pulley, you MUST stick a large screwdriver into the flywheel/flexplate, but then I searched for a position, and the post said it was in the bellhouse(which is logical). And then everyone says to use an impact wrench, Is there any other way?

The 3rd picture on this page http://68.35.89.220/pulley2.htm is suppose to be where to stick the screw driver, but I have no idea where that is. The guy who posted this in a thread http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30881 also said to use an impact wrench.

I'm pretty lost right now, and my pulley is on the way and I would like to install it when it gets here.

mfuller
09-28-2004, 05:17 PM
That third picture is of the engine flywheel; it's where the transmission bolts up to the engine. There is a small plastic splash guard you'll need to remove to gain access to it. and you still won't have a ton of room to work. Good luck applying enough pressure to keep the flywheel from turning when tightening your crank pulley.

GAGTSCTGuy
09-28-2004, 06:45 PM
That third picture is of the engine flywheel; it's where the transmission bolts up to the engine. There is a small plastic splash guard you'll need to remove to gain access to it. and you still won't have a ton of room to work. Good luck applying enough pressure to keep the flywheel from turning when tightening your crank pulley.

I read somewhere that you had planned on putting one on, did you? is that what you had to do?

mfuller
09-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I read somewhere that you had planned on putting one on, did you? is that what you had to do?
Yes and yes.

GAGTSCTGuy
09-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the help. This is going to require another set of hands isn't it?

95-GT
09-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Once you have the crank pulley somewhat on (using a rubber mallot and a piece of wood or something like that to tap the harmonic balancer back on), get the bolt threaded in as far as you can by hand (to where the pulley is spinning) Once thats on, use a impact to press the pulley back on, using the washer/bolt with the impact wrench. Just make sure the bolt is in quite a lil bit, cause you dont want to strip the crank.

GAGTSCTGuy
10-01-2004, 03:33 PM

To access this splash guard, I need to be under the car right?

How big of a screwdriver will I need? I have a flat tip one that is about 8" long(not counting the handle), is that enough or should I get go a bigger one?

Azrael
10-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know what the torque spec is on the 3x00 crankshaft pulley? I'm installing mine tomorrow morning.

95-GT
10-01-2004, 06:15 PM
First Pass 70 Nm(52 lb ft)
Final Pass 72 degrees

GAGTSCTGuy
10-01-2004, 08:40 PM
The service manual (for 2000(+) 3.4L) says Crankshaft Balancer Bolt 103 Nm (76 lb ft). This bolt is the crankshaft balancer bolt right?

BTW, what is the 72 degrees stuff?

95-GT
10-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Tighten to 52 lb ft, then turn another 72 degrees when thats done.