Emission thing in my engine bay? Eh? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Emission thing in my engine bay? Eh?

Hexx
09-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Bringing this back up. I dont know what happened to the last thread and I don't think anyone ever provided pics.

Well I have a pic. WTF is that thing to the left? Is that the emission thing that only NY cars have? Someone in the last thread mentioned that you can remove it to get some HP back.....how do I do this? Just cap off the ends of where this thing is connected to? Loop the hoses together? Show me your engine bay pics guys so I can see if this is what we were all thinking of or talking about before.

[edit] Link might be nice: http://reno.sytes.net:8080/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=00GrandAmGT&id=engine_emission

MetaGTP1
09-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Bringing this back up. I dont know what happened to the last thread and I don't think anyone ever provided pics.

Well I have a pic. WTF is that thing to the left? Is that the emission thing that only NY cars have? Someone in the last thread mentioned that you can remove it to get some HP back.....how do I do this? Just cap off the ends of where this thing is connected to? Loop the hoses together? Show me your engine bay pics guys so I can see if this is what we were all thinking of or talking about before.

[edit] Link might be nice: http://reno.sytes.net:8080/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=00GrandAmGT&id=engine_emissionThat is called the A.I.R.(Air Injection Reaction) pump. The pump was only in the '00 GA . It is for emissions. :)

action
09-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Not all 00's, mine doenst have that mofo for sure. Mine doesnt have that black box in front of the coolant tank either, I always wondered why there was so much room left there by GM, was a good place to mount my siren for the alarm though!!!

MetaGTP1
09-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Not all 00's, mine doenst have that mofo for sure. Mine doesnt have that black box in front of the coolant tank either, I always wondered why there was so much room left there by GM, was a good place to mount my siren for the alarm though!!!It's a US thing for what is called 'Northeast Emissions'. :)

action
09-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Cool, cool, my old ford bronco II had somethign along the same lines.

Hexx
09-29-2004, 07:54 AM
It's a US thing for what is called 'Northeast Emissions'. :)

Well my state (Maine) doesn't have emissions. So I don't need this crap. How do I go about taking it out and stuff?

pontga00
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
I think Irate took his out. I PM'd him about it, but didn't have a pic to show him so he couldn't tell me exactly what he did...

Carmaniac
09-29-2004, 09:25 AM
i have asked this question many times and no one has answered. does it take away hp???????????????

MetaGTP1
09-29-2004, 09:31 AM
i have asked this question many times and no one has answered. does it take away hp???????????????It is not an hp pig. It doesn't affect HP that much at all. You won't see much of a gain, if removed.:)

luniz
09-29-2004, 09:40 AM
I heard that thing takes at least 15 hp from the wheels! :whistle:

JK

preed4962
09-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Its an electric motor that pumps air into the exhaust stream, so I don't know how removing it would gain you any HP. If it were belt driven (like they used to be in the 80's) then I would agree with an HP gain.

-Paul

cavingman
09-29-2004, 01:01 PM
yea you wont gain any hp taking it out. only thing youll get is a headache.

Hexx
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Ahh ok...I didnt even know what this thing did. Ill wait til it breaks to remove it.

Molson
09-29-2004, 04:54 PM
smash it with a hammer.

Kyle
01-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if that thing will be in the way when installing TOG headers?

Hexx
01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know if that thing will be in the way when installing TOG headers?

No...it wont/shouldnt be: http://reno.sytes.net:8080/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=00GAGT&id=DSC00022

The manifolds are not even touching that bar/pipe crap. If you have the ram air thing in there, you will probably need to take it out for the install for some more room.