Power windows serious ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power windows serious ?

BadGT471
10-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm reaching the very end of my warranty. 35k on a 2002 GAGT. Anyways, the only REAL consistent problem that I've faced with my car is the damn power windows... (2 dr coupe). Anyways, I don't really want to buy an extended warranty just for that. I'm thinking that I won't have any major problems by 48k since I've done great mainteance on this thing, have owned it since day 1 and have totally babied it. Here's my dilemma. What do I do about the power windows? Is there a warranty, or something I could write to GM about my problem? I've had this problem on both doors since day 1. The regulators/motors have been replaced ATLEAST 3 times on each door within these past 35k miles. What do you all suggest I do? I'd really hate to be shelling out the $350 to get this damn thing fixed all the time. If it comes down to this, can you buy the regulators/motors at like Autozone instead of GM? What do you all suggest?

rizer
10-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, GM isnt gonna do crap ifyou write them a letter. Theres thousands of others who have the same window problem (3 times for me in almost over a year). Just do what i do and buy a new regulator and motor for 65 bucks shipped off ebay, then i have a repair shop install it for 40 bucks. 105 is way cheaper than 350 from GM.

Its always nice having a warranty because you never know whats gonna happen. cant have the mindset of thinking its a newer car so it's gonna be fine, even if its babied. IMO if you can get a good deal on a warranty, id go for it. Soon here chances are your lower intake manifold is gonna start leaking and thats over 500 bucks to have repaired, which if it does thats when your glad u had a warranty.

Jagey
10-07-2004, 11:34 PM
you might as well get the warranty if it is so apparant that it will happen again. I would keep a warranty on an american product at all times

Malaclypse
10-07-2004, 11:56 PM
If your window regulators happen to go out on you again, ask the technician or shop to lube up the window channels with Silicone Lubricant. It should be in an aerosol can and will help to eliminate the strain on these weak cable regulators. (I think that's what the N-bodies use, anyways.)

As for why GM went away from the scissor-type steel regulators? No clue other than cost of manufacture. The cable regulators have a tendency to suck very often. =p

StephenM
10-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Don't pay for install, its the easiest install in the world. Go to a JunkYard and pay 50-75 bucks for a brand new regulator and get a socket wrench and save yourself about 300 dollars. I think the How To is even posted on the board somewhere if someone who isn't as lazy as me wants to link it.

Slim
10-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Here's a couple hits from the HOW TO section.....

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=187711

BadGT471
10-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Alright guys, I am going to order one off of EBAY. I see these are aftermarket though. Do they work just as well as the OEM ones? Also, is the regulator with the motor ALL that i need to fix the window when it stops? Thanks much for all your help guys!

Jeff

P.S. being at 35k and taking my car in for ONE last oil change before warranty expires, what do you suggest I have looked at?? IS there anything to pay special attention to?

StephenM
10-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I installed a friend's off eBay last January and he hasn't had a problem since. A lot of people say the aftermarket work better than the OEM.

rizer
10-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah, just the regulator and motor is all you need.
You might need to order some clips if they are broken, but chances are if the windows on track still, your fine

BadGT471
10-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Sounds good! Are the clips expensive? Do i get those from EBay or the dealership? Thanks a lot guys.. I paid $54.95 for the motor and regulator.. That seem right?

Thanks,
Jeff

rizer
10-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, 55 is right, 65 for me after shipping.
The clips are at the dealership. Do a search and theres the part numbers for what ones to get.

BadGT471
10-10-2004, 01:29 PM
K guys, I have the regulator and motor on the way. Hopefully i'll get them soon. About how long would you say it will take to do this job? Is it a major job, or is it fairly easy if you are mechanically inclined?

THanks much,
Jeff

StephenM
10-11-2004, 05:52 AM
If you know how to use a socket wrench, I would say at most two hours. I'd never seen the inside of a door before when I did mine, and it took me an hour tops. Make sure you D/L the instructions and use them, I think there are a total of 8 fasteners to take off. Also make sure you tape the window to the door so it doesn't fall when you take it out. Good luck, hope everything goes ok.