SES Problems With History [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES Problems With History

Caveman
10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
The History:
Until a couple of months ago there have been few problems. But this is now.
The car is a 1999 SE, 2.4L, Auto Trans., Blue, (color not necessary but the car looks good) 65k miles (thats alot more Km's for you Canadian folk).

1st SES: AutoZone scanned it Fuel Cap not on tight enough (not the technical reading just the interpolation) Result: I told my wife to make sure the cap was on tight after she fueled up the car. She assures me she turns the cap until it clicks many times. SES light out for a month or more.

2nd SES: AutoZone scanned it Rich Condition Bank 1. They didn't reset the code but it cleared itself in just a few miles. Also, this code showed right after changing the battery. No codes for about a month.

3rd SES: Light came on and went off in the same 10 mile trip. No code was scanned. No SES for a couple of weeks.

4th SES: AutoZoned scanned it Evaporative Control System Small Leak (code 442 i think). This code won't clear itself. Here in lies the problem.

Any past experiences or ideas are appreciated in advance.

Also, one time a couple of years ago, there was a SES that was scanned by AutoZone that ended up being an EGR valve problem. I had them clear the code and it never came back.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to solve this problem i'd be happy to hear them.

andrewe77
10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Have you replaced the fuel cap yet? I suspect it could also be a vacuum hose leak somewhere so start searching!

Caveman
10-11-2004, 05:52 PM
I just replace the gas cap earlier today. They were too busy at AutoZone to come out and Clear the SES light for me. I have started the car and driven it several times since I replaced the gas cap, but the SES light is still on. Yesterday I did inspect things under the hood. I checked the vacuum lines that I could find and they all appeared to be in good shape and secure. I'm sure that there are probably more vacuum lines that i didn't find. I will try to search more for those later.

Caveman
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, I've checked every vacuum line i could find. Everything appears to be in very good condition. The car has been started and driven no less than 15 times since the gas cap was replaced. The SES light is still on. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any more ideas?