HID, advice please! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID, advice please!

BadGT471
10-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Screw the Silverstars, I'm converting to HID. I know nothing about this.. What is the most reasonable kit i can get? I don't care how good quality it is, I just want that HID look. What do I need to do this? Can someone give me some sites to look for?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jagey
10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
i believe one of the sites is www.hidtech.com

You will need the entire kit, which includes the bulbs, harnesses, and ballasts. Also I think most people reccomend a DRL override kit.

You should PM SC/TGrandAm, I think he knows the most about HID's around here. There is also Iceman and Blackrider that I know off hand.

Rba007
10-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Search. This topic has been covered about a billion times. Ill be happy to help ya out over pm as well if youd like.

BadGT471
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Would this be a REALLY stupid alternative to HID's? Could I upgrade my headlight wiring harnass so I can run 100/110watt blubs instead of the 55/65? Would that be a good upgrade? If so, where can I get the wiring harnass to do this? I want the HID's, but I don't really want to spend like $500 for them... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Rba007
10-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Thatd be no where close to HID's, but better than what youve got. Our headlights are negative switched, which makes them a big PITA, and not many wiring harnesses are made for negative switched vehicles. Go over to SUVlights.com, and shoot them an email. They'll set you up.

SC/TGrandAm
10-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Would this be a REALLY stupid alternative to HID's? Could I upgrade my headlight wiring harnass so I can run 100/110watt blubs instead of the 55/65? Would that be a good upgrade? If so, where can I get the wiring harnass to do this? I want the HID's, but I don't really want to spend like $500 for them... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hey thanks Jagey !

Heres my best advice, if you want HID your going to have to cough up the $$ because you might think its a good idea now to buy the cheaper kit but I guarantee you 2 months down the road your going to be greatly sorry. Reason being the cheaper kits use offbrand bulbs/ballasts and they just dont last as long or arent near the quality of persay (Phillips, Hella, Osram)

As for the alternative. The only thing i have ever seen that was the closest to being HID was that Catz Zeta Kit they offered a year or so ago. Its illegal to buy/sale now and Catz no longer imports products to the United States for that very reason. Yeah you can upgrade your wiring harness to a 100w system but honestly I Dont think you will notice that much of a diffrence not to mention it will be just like what you have now but a little brighter - no HID resemblence. Also finding a reputable company that makes good 100w bulbs is going to be tough. No the blue bulbs 100w bulbs dont count.

Bottom line, HID will be the best bet. The 100w bulbs/harness would be a little better than what you have now but im still debating whether or not it would be worth the $$. Or you could just keep what you have now, the silverstars?

I have another Idea, have you ever thought about buying some really nice driving lights? I have some awesome PIAA Driving lights with the 135w? PIAA bulbs in them and those mofos are bright, ask anybody who has seen them. Yes its going to cost you like $250++ but still cheaper than HID and you will get some good light out of them.

Rba007
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Ditto what he said on the driving lights. I used to have a catz set, that had an incorporated hi and low beam. Those lil fuggers were hot!

XMBlackGT1
10-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Ive got CATZ HID in my 03 GT and absolutely love it. There is no comparison to HID. It is important to get a kit that is quality- the place that installed my 2 hid systems in each of my gt's had a car in their business a little while ago, that started on fire from some cheap knock off HID system. From what I was told when I bought CATZ, is that their failure rate for HID was less than 1 in 1 million. I might have a CATZ Supereme White kit for sale soon- It was installed in my 03, and 2 days after it was installed, I found out the frame was bent, so I had it removed so I could turn the car in. The capsules have been lit for maybe 45 minutes. Definately a great system.

Hodge
10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
XMBlackGT1, is that kit already made for your GA? i wish i knew much about HID's but i don't lol and i def want them in the future.

Rba007
10-12-2004, 08:30 PM
There's not one really "Made" for our cars. You have to take your bulbs out, insert the capsules (if the catz he's got are the twin beam ones, youll have to make some room behind the headlight housing for the high beam selonoid), mount the ballasts (if this kit has starters, mount the starters) without letting the metal of the ballast touch the car, or get wet, or vibrate much. Then, connect the wires (youll lose your DRL's, and get an SVS unless you do some tricky wiring that took me awhile, or if youve got the DRL kit which saved me some headaches while causing others). Voila.

XMBlackGT1
10-12-2004, 09:41 PM
There's not one really "Made" for our cars. You have to take your bulbs out, insert the capsules (if the catz he's got are the twin beam ones, youll have to make some room behind the headlight housing for the high beam selonoid), mount the ballasts (if this kit has starters, mount the starters) without letting the metal of the ballast touch the car, or get wet, or vibrate much. Then, connect the wires (youll lose your DRL's, and get an SVS unless you do some tricky wiring that took me awhile, or if youve got the DRL kit which saved me some headaches while causing others). Voila.

You're right Dave- mine are the hi/low beam kit. There is plenty of room behind the housing for the solenoids. The only mod i had to do to make it work was cut the bottom half of the center "speed clip" that holds the headlamp housing into the car. The housing is as secure as ever. everything else was mounted below the headlamps in the bumper and works like a charm. Although, CATZ says everything is 100% waterproof- its all sealed up pretty good. It was a very simple install.