Cheapest OBD-2 Code Reader??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest OBD-2 Code Reader???

82-T/A
10-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Hey guys,

My SES light has been on for a while in my 97 GT. Where the heck can I get a cheap OBD-2 reader? I'm really putting it off because the car drives fine, and the fuel economy is the same, so I know it's not something like an O2 sensor or something. I don't have an OBD-2 reader yet. I would get one, but really don't feel like spending $200 bucks... anyone know where I can get one cheap?

And does anyone know if they all use pretty much the same standard? Can I take that same code reader and use it in a Ford? How about a Volvo (same as the Ford I guess?)

Thanks!

95-GT
10-11-2004, 05:06 AM
An ODB-2 reader is a ODB-2 reader. The one we have, can be used on our GM's and Fords here.

You can rent them at local auto part stores for a deposit (you get 100% refund when you return it). But I have seem them for $99 at Pepboys.

JHawk GT
10-11-2004, 05:29 AM
I have one that I need to sell--see link. I bought it for $150 and used it twice. It's still in the box with manual and DTC cd. Decided to upgrade to a scan tool and haven't used it since. It's a great scanner and the same one used for the free scanning at the Autozone here. I'd be willing to let it go for $100 shipped. You probably won't be able to buy a reader that can be used with all OBD-II compliant vehicles much cheaper and you can get them usually at any parts store and Wal-Mart.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16151

lightningGA
10-11-2004, 06:04 AM
I need to get me a scanner too. I have a SES light that goes on and off lately.

eaglesrealm
10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Speaking of which, why is Autozone unable to read SVS codes with their OBD-II scanner? They always tell me they can only read SES lights. Shouldnt the scanner read both??

rocketfast123
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
nope SVS mean somthing like a light is out

eaglesrealm
10-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Actually, no. SVS can mean lots of things more serious. I happen to know mine is for a LF failed hub/speed sensor assembly and for a faulty oil pressure switch.