PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Shudders Under Load

thehemi
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
When cruising along, top gear (auto), and you hit the gas
to do some acceleration, the car likes to shudder. It goes
away if you give it enough gas to get the RPMs into the 3K
range (or get it to downshift). Happens when going up hills
and the car is trying to maintain speed, too.

The car shifts great. Torque converter dying or something?

kevin231
10-11-2004, 09:43 AM
I had this exact problem with my 92 grand am 3.3L, I remeber it was a solenoid in the transmisson that i changed to fix the problem. I cant remember the exact one but i remeber unplugging it for about one year before fixing it and the car ran normal with it out, except the (SES) light was on.

zeddsdead
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
tranny shudders under load :vomit: lol

andrewe77
10-11-2004, 12:05 PM
It's the torque converter lockup solenoid and yes you can get by without it but you'll have lower fuel economy. Its purpose is to engage two plates in the torque converter while in overdrive so that there is a direct mechanical link between the engine and transmission rather than a fluid link which is not 100% energy efficient.

AznGA
10-11-2004, 06:26 PM
There is one solinoid for tranny or one solinoid for each gear? Is this cheap do yourself fix?

Rba007
10-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Mine's been doing it as well... Went away for awhile after a fluid change, and is slowly coming back. I love my car.

thehemi
10-17-2004, 07:50 AM
It's the torque converter lockup solenoid and yes you can get by without it but you'll have lower fuel economy.

Is the sensor inside the tranny or on the outside?
If it is an easy fix, I might do it, otherwise I will probably not.
(The car is on its last leg, so I'm not going to spend much $$.)

thehemi
06-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Is the sensor inside the tranny or on the outside?
If it is an easy fix, I might do it, otherwise I will probably not.
(The car is on its last leg, so I'm not going to spend much $$.)

Anyone want to answer this? I'm now got code P1870.
Curious if a replacement of this solenoid might help, or
if the TC is too far along to be worth messing with now.
(If the solenoid is internal, I have no plans to go into it.)

Coop
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
A bad/unplugged lockup solenoid will most definately set an 1870 code. I"m not too familiar with the newer slushboxes but the older FWD's you could usually pull the wheel/spindle out of the way and pull the side cover off to replace it, not a real fun job, but not absolutely horrible. But like I said I"m not as familiar with the newer electronic automatics.

AaronGAGT
07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
A bad/unplugged lockup solenoid will most definately set an 1870 code. I"m not too familiar with the newer slushboxes but the older FWD's you could usually pull the wheel/spindle out of the way and pull the side cover off to replace it, not a real fun job, but not absolutely horrible. But like I said I"m not as familiar with the newer electronic automatics.

like this? http://www.specialtytrans.com/specialty/gm/4T60E/gm_4t60e-p1870.htm

Coop
07-02-2005, 03:04 AM
No not really, those were other possible causes that could set an 1870. That particular tranny looked like it had more issues than just a TCC solenoid.