Hooking up gauge lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up gauge lights

Hexx
10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey all,
Just letting you guys know how I did mine. I have a couple cheap gauges but they work....accurately...they are Sunpro gauges and are like $15 a piece. One is oil psi the other is volts. I havent hooked the volt one up yet but do have the oil psi hooked.

Anyways, I ran my wires for the back light on this thing so it only turns on when my dash lights turn on.

I dont have pics but next to the fog light on the left hand side (the switch) there is the the dimmer switch. Once you take this out and can see the wires. I used the yellow wire as my positive and the black&white stripe wire as a ground. Works like a charm. My light does not dim though, so I am thinking there is another wire in that series that deals with the potentiometer (sp) part.

Kyle
10-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Your supposed to use the gray wire for the guage lights so they dim. The black wire comeing out of the guage goes to the gray wire and the white wire goes to the ground just tie all the grounds together and run one wire to where your going to ground all them.

Hexx
10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Your supposed to use the gray wire for the guage lights so they dim. The black wire comeing out of the guage goes to the gray wire and the white wire goes to the ground just tie all the grounds together and run one wire to where your going to ground all them.

What white wire? One from the gauge itself of from the harness?

Kyle
10-11-2004, 07:33 PM
The one from the gauge there should be a white wire for the lights.

Hexx
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
The one from the gauge there should be a white wire for the lights.

Naw my gauge has black and red. Red being pos. We are talking about the same gauge right? When I say gauge I mean the one I bought, not the stock stuff in the car.

Kyle
10-11-2004, 10:13 PM
yea, I got different gauges I got autometer ones I guess they have the white color wire. Anyway in your case the red goes to the ground then.

Hexx
10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
yea, I got different gauges I got autometer ones I guess they have the white color wire. Anyway in your case the red goes to the ground then.

Why would red go to the ground? Where would the black go? Pos should go to a power source. Yellow in this case is what I used, but is a constant power when the dash lights turn on. IIRC there was also a green wire I think....Ill have to check, but that one may be the dimmer. I think theres like 5 wires on that thing to play with. I took what worked first shot =D

Kyle
10-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Why would red go to the ground? Where would the black go? Pos should go to a power source. Yellow in this case is what I used, but is a constant power when the dash lights turn on. IIRC there was also a green wire I think....Ill have to check, but that one may be the dimmer. I think theres like 5 wires on that thing to play with. I took what worked first shot =D

The black wire would go to the gray wire behind the dimmer switch.

Hexx
10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
The black wire would go to the gray wire behind the dimmer switch.

Alright so I got things hooked up. I have the ground to the black wire with the white strip on it. The positive from the gauge goes to the green on the ponti. This allows for the gauges to dim when you dim your other gauges (which includes the radio and stuff).

I got my volt meter installed also....have the backlites for both gauges in parrelle, doesnt seem to make a differencein power output so Im golden :irate: