Voltage surges [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Voltage surges

BadGT471
10-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, got a quick question. I just got the PIAA Xtreme white plus bulbs today. Anyways, i was looking at PIAA's website in the FAQ section... It says on there "How come my bulbs keep blowing out after 4 months" The response to that was a voltage surge... What the heck is this? I had PIAA's a year ago and they went out in about 5 months. Other than the 1 that went out, I never had a prob with my bulbs since 02 when I got it... How do you get a surge, adn is there anyways I can prevent this? THESE BULBS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!

SC/TGrandAm
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
ive never really heard of an automotive voltage surge.... In a home you get power (voltage) surges from lighting or when a company switches power grids. Neither you have to worry about in a car, possibly lighting a little but very small chance.

The only thing i can think of is if you have a high power alternator like the competition car audio enthusiasts use and could spike the voltage above 14.4 v.

action
10-13-2004, 05:56 AM
You can get voltage surges if the regulator in the altenator goes bad. Normally the voltage in a car fluxuates between 12v to 14.8 volts, the former being the minimum batery standby voltage, and the later being the standard altenator output voltage.

I'd say that the PIAA bulbs are just pure crap, I had the same thing happen with my first set and I had no power surges and my regulator is still fine 3 years later. (the translite bulbs that I'm using now last an average of 2 years, BTW)