Shaking Problem (did search already) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shaking Problem (did search already)

vin1978
10-12-2004, 09:19 PM
First off I just wanted to thank everyone for providing such great info on this board. My wife's GAGT had the blown resistor about a month back and it was so easy to fix myself. Saved me some money which was really nice.

Anyway, her car now shakes both at low (30mph) and high speeds (70mph). It goes away a little bit after the car is driven, but no matter what you can still feel the vibrations in both the steering wheel and the seat. You can also hear a wub wub sound at low speeds around 30mph. I thought it could have been an allignment problem, but my wife said she hasn't hit anything. She is usually very honest about this sort of thing. The car has 60,000 miles on it and has run perfect until now. Can the RSA's just crap out? They seem to be in great shape. Maybe it is just a balancing problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

iceman
10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey welcome :cheers:

RSA's are notoriously loud, especially with a lot of miles on them.. So I wouldn't rule them out. although, it doesn't hurt to get the car up on a rack if it hasn't had an alignment since you got it. If alignment (and wheel balance) is good... I'd take a guess with the tires.

AleroME
10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
warped rotors, or tires not balanced.. if they are balanced and the rotors are fine.. you have inside tire tread separation. Usually shaking around 60-70ish mph is tires not balanced. But low speed shaking is by tire tread separation. (I just learned this in automotive class).

if u can do a tire rotation, and see if it happenes again. chances of all the tires unbalanced and tread separate are slim. if it continues to happen, then i think its the rotors.

vin1978
10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Great! I will check on the tires. I have one more quick question. I drove the car after I posted my original question and when I started it up the "check engine light" came on along with the "ABS" light. I turned the car off and started it again and nothing. Any ideas. This is a great car, but the little problems are driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2002AmSE
10-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Tire Tread Seperation?

GuywithaGA
10-27-2004, 03:47 PM
I just got my car a year ago and I started to notice that the car kind of shakes when I press on my brakes and slow down the car. I also, noticed that when driving my car lets off the faint sqeaking noise could my rotors be the cause of the this as well? Or is it something else

aimers0408
11-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I have an SE and i have a horrible problem with shaking/vibrating at all speeds. I have the GT chrome wheels and brand new tires, not RSA's. I can only think that there is a ton of mud in the wheels or something. My brakes also vibrated thanks to my drums, I have brand new pads/rotors on the front.

DevilSlayer
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I think your guy's rotors are warped. My rear rotors are warped (got them checked) and I get uneven braking power, like it brakes normal then lets up a little, and mild vibrations at speeds 65mph+.

Except I now have an excuse to get some performance rotors ^_^. While we're talking about rotors, anyone got some suggestions on performance rotors? Should I get slotted, crossed drilled, or slotted and cross drilled. (Note: Budget limit of $300 for a pair)

----------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------------

Are the power slot rotors on PFYC any good?

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GN4005&Product_Count=7&Category_Code=GASUSP

RedGT2004
11-16-2004, 09:37 PM
First off I just wanted to thank everyone for providing such great info on this board. My wife's GAGT had the blown resistor about a month back and it was so easy to fix myself. Saved me some money which was really nice.

Anyway, her car now shakes both at low (30mph) and high speeds (70mph). It goes away a little bit after the car is driven, but no matter what you can still feel the vibrations in both the steering wheel and the seat. You can also hear a wub wub sound at low speeds around 30mph. I thought it could have been an allignment problem, but my wife said she hasn't hit anything. She is usually very honest about this sort of thing. The car has 60,000 miles on it and has run perfect until now. Can the RSA's just crap out? They seem to be in great shape. Maybe it is just a balancing problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I can almost guarantee that one of the wheel bearings its going out(unless its the RSA doing the noise). You need to balance your tires. And maybe replace the tires since they have 60,000. Mine only lasted 33,000.