Check engine light flashes 52 times? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light flashes 52 times?

Dr. Anthony
10-12-2004, 11:24 PM
I know you guyys say the light flashes means a missfire.

but when it did it the first time, it flashed about 10 times. then the 2nd time (I was stopped at a light, so i counted 52 times)

It happend when i was driving slow (about to turn right both times) and pressed on the gas, the car didnt feel like it was going as quick as it should be .. and then the Service engine soon light came on.

Any ideas?

2002AmSE
10-12-2004, 11:55 PM
A blinking SES light means that you have severe misfire, possibly detonation, or a severe problem with mixture/fuel delivery(I think). Driving the car while the light is blinking can cause severe engine damage. You need the PCM code read to find out what exactly it is that it is detecting to be wrong, Autozone does this for free, but if it is far away from your house, I wouldn't want to drive it there, but I suppose it probably wouldn't be too bad if you try to keep at speeds where this doesn't happen so much if its possible.

Detonation is bad, mkay

EDIT: Ok, gathered fact, It is a 2000, but mileage might help us.

AaronGAGT
10-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Yea... when it flashes it means all hell is breaking lose. I think the manual says something like "If SES light flashes, stop car and service IMMEDIATELY" Hope you didnt rip anything up.

RedGrandTour
10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
I just had the same problem last week. The #5 fuel injector went out and the rest needed cleaning. It cost me $500 bucks. I drove to the service dept. with the light blinking.

Dr. Anthony
10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
HIIIIIGH milage :) 145,000 miles.

friend of mine has a Snap on engine diagnostic machine (those big ones the size of a stand up tool chest) I'm going to get him to check it for me.

thanks guys

SC/TGrandAm
10-13-2004, 04:24 PM
well by the time you drive your car all over the place getting it checked it will be fubar by then anyways if it isnt already.

Dr. Anthony
10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
2 terminals from the coil packs were "rusty" so i cleaned it up, and put new plugs/wires.. and went to replicate the senario.. and its all working fine.

i hooked it upto a Tek2 and cleared all codes