Should i get a Grand AM [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a Grand AM

magnanpi
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok this is my first post but i got a question for everyone that knows more than me.....

Ok the price is good....like 6000 for a GT with 62,000 miles

But what are the main problems i should be looking for? Ive read many reviews from people and they said when they went to bring back there cars to the Pontiac dealership, they were very un-friendly and were of no help.

My girlfriends mom has either a 2000 GT1 coupe or a 2001... im not sure. But the transmission went twice before 38,000 miles.....i dont think thats normal.

Plus the brakes went alot, the blinkers sometimes never work unless u hit the hazard lights button first, and the drivers side window broke. Plus the wheel bearing thing.

I currently own a 94 Accord EX automatic and i have driven her GT1. I thought it was awesome....but i dont want my transmission to go or anything big like that.

What are the main problems and things that probably will go wrong with it? You know like common defects? And are the 2002/2003s more reliable than the 99-01s?

Thanks big time

oh btw a pontiac dealership by my house kept screwing up the lights with my friends 03 Sunfire. The brake/blinker lights kept going out and they put the one high beam and one low beam on when u put the regular lights on. They messed up the wiring. I know i wont be buying my pontiac there.....

Braves299
10-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Take care of it, it'll last. People on this thread are gonna tell ya differently, but also, look at how many people have mods, and rag the sh** outta their cars. My 99 Grand am has 124,000 miles and ive had minimal problems with it. Good luck!

David

SC/TGrandAm
10-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Big things are Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Leak, window regulators going out, the blinker problem.

Transmission going out is pretty unlikely or at least its not a common problem.

GrahamKracka
10-13-2004, 10:43 AM
car has 33800 on it...tranny is fine.....if you plan to mod tho ittle go eventually

atc3434
10-13-2004, 10:44 AM
The GM tranny is really strong in the GA. Of course if you start modding the crap out of the car, you'll need to make sure it stays cool, but in a stock application, they usually last forever. I've had mine for 40k miles now, and its at 80k on the odometer, and my 40k have been pretty hard miles. I'm a driver, I never use just enough throttle, and I like to manuel shift. My tranny is still very crisp. A tranny flush is important every 30k miles! Pretty weird that your friends car went through 2 in 38k miles. Not normal at all. The window thing is pretty common on the GA, and hub assemblies kinda have a history with the GA too. Sometimes weird electrical stuff will crop up. But all cars have differnt issues they are know for. GM's motor and tranny are very strong and literally will run forever if you take good car of them. Just do your regular maintenece and a GA will serve you for a long time.

atc3434
10-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, It'll be a WHOLE LOT more fun than the Honda. Get ready to experience torque.

dj2229
10-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Mostly just routine maintenance stuff. Problems I've had or am currently having are....In the process of replacing Blower Motor Resistor. $10 part. Brakes aren't too bad, could be better. The biggest issue is that Im having problems with the negative ground cable. Took out the Original battery and the negative part of the battery just about fell right out of the battery. Was that corroded. Well in the process, I think some dripped down onto my battery cable and thus Im having some electrical problems. Going to fix that tonite. Other than that, I loved my car from day one and still do.

Overall I give it a 8/10

mcgrady
10-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Two trannies in 38k is unusual to say the least. The tranny in these cars are fairly strong but a lot of failures occur because of spinning the tires trying to get traction when there is snow on the ground. The sudden jolt when you go from the tires spinning at 20mph to 5mph when you hit solid traction shortens the life of the tranny quite a bit.

The blinker thing was fixed for 2002 I believe.

The brakes will behave according to how you use them. If you are a person who waits until the last second and brakes heavy then your rotors won't last long.

In general, Grand Ams are a good deal. GM's heavy incentives on new vehicles has pushed the resale value down so far that a 2 year old GA will go for less than half a new model. I bought my GA for over $6k Cdn less than an Accord of the same model year with the same options. No contest there at all.

5-lO
10-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Well all of the problems you have mentioned are common. I have had many little issues with mine, but all in all I still love that car. It all comes down to the car itself I guess. If you click on my N-body registry in my sig below it will state all the problems Ive had.

The car is nice however, it's got balls, I like my leather. Its luxurious for a 20k car. I really enjoy it, anytime someone new I meet see's me car they are always like "WOW! That is a real nice car" granted mine is an 03 but still.

If you can get a good deal it is worth.

Nikki
10-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, It'll be a WHOLE LOT more fun than the Honda. Get ready to experience torque.

I'm sorry, but I hate when ppl say stuff like this. So I'm just gonna say, drive a NEW Accord and see how it is compared to your GA in torque :)

And to the guy who started this thread, so I can stay on topic, the other guys are right...just take care of it and you'll just maybe have the normal problems but nothing too major.

atc3434
10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry, but I hate when ppl say stuff like this. So I'm just gonna say, drive a NEW Accord and see how it is compared to your GA in torque :)

Yea, I know, the new Accords got a sweet v6 and a bunch of gears to go with it. I was refering to the 94 Accord, which the GA will eat up and spit out for lunch.

Love my GT
10-13-2004, 03:24 PM
My wife has a 94 accord. It is a very nice car, but my GA is almost better in every way. The Honda if I haven't been in it for a while when we get on the highway I keep thinking it needs to shift again because it runs at a lot higher rpm's. I just hope my GA runs as good as the accord when it has over 170,000 miles on it.

GrahamKracka
10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Two trannies in 38k is unusual to say the least. The tranny in these cars are fairly strong but a lot of failures occur because of spinning the tires trying to get traction when there is snow on the ground. The sudden jolt when you go from the tires spinning at 20mph to 5mph when you hit solid traction shortens the life of the tranny quite a bit.

The blinker thing was fixed for 2002 I believe.

The brakes will behave according to how you use them. If you are a person who waits until the last second and brakes heavy then your rotors won't last long.

In general, Grand Ams are a good deal. GM's heavy incentives on new vehicles has pushed the resale value down so far that a 2 year old GA will go for less than half a new model. I bought my GA for over $6k Cdn less than an Accord of the same model year with the same options. No contest there at all.

which is also why its hard as hell to sell at a decent price.........or even get a decent trade in.........i tried to trade my car in for a eclipse spyder GT...they only wanted to give me 7300.........the car is in great condition.....*******s

UNCTYPE-S
10-13-2004, 05:59 PM

hell yeah nikki........represent.

anyway.....where in his thread title does it say "my gt vs. accord"

atc3434
10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I currently own a 94 Accord EX automatic and i have driven her GT1. I thought it was awesome....but i dont want my transmission to go or anything big like that.

Thats where the comparison the the 94 Accord came in. I supported his conclusion, which is true, GAGT is defintley more car than the Accord EX of 1994. I'm sure the new Accord EX will eat up a GAGT for lunch.

AznGA
10-13-2004, 10:00 PM

And to the guy who started this thread, so I can stay on topic, the other guys are right...just take care of it and you'll just maybe have the normal problems but nothing too major.
But V6 Accord is a lot more $$ than V6 GA, isn't it?
He was probably talking about ricer kids who thinks their modded riced out 4 cyl ****box is fast, while our big V6 has plenty of torque.

magnanpi
10-13-2004, 10:35 PM
thanks for the comments.

ill probly get one. unless i change my mind again lol. i always do. but yeah ive read alot about the warping rotors... will new rotors fix this or is this some other part that GM neglected to put in

oh and i told what i car i had (Accord) in for comparison. The GT1 coupe i drove was fun to drive.....unlike my 4 door family sedan Accord EX. its got 145 hp and like 140 torque i think.

mainly i like the grand am cuz of the way the interior looks with the oversized gauge things. also the pontiac red (or orange watever color u say it is) in the gauges. awesome color.

i would get a Trans AM but i cant drive it here in the winter time. too much snow and bad weather, i need something i can drive everyday.

AznGA
10-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Well all of the problems you have mentioned are common. I have had many little issues with mine, but all in all I still love that car. It all comes down to the car itself I guess. If you click on my N-body registry in my sig below it will state all the problems Ive had.

The car is nice however, it's got balls, I like my leather. Its luxurious for a 20k car. I really enjoy it, anytime someone new I meet see's me car they are always like "WOW! That is a real nice car" granted mine is an 03 but still.

If you can get a good deal it is worth.
Who wanted to trade in his Grand Am for something else? What this guy said. These are pretty nice cars. GM sold LOTS of it and there are a lot rolling around on streets. Modding your car to make it different than 243664 other Grand Am's in town is the coolest part, I would say.

fo44rd
10-14-2004, 04:57 AM
which is also why its hard as hell to sell at a decent price.........or even get a decent trade in.........i tried to trade my car in for a eclipse spyder GT...they only wanted to give me 7300.........the car is in great condition.....*******s

No kidding. The sad part is the 1994 accord is probably worth more.

papiogagt
10-14-2004, 06:58 AM
stick with the honda man! our family has 5 accords in it! my sister's 94 has 274,000 on it and runs better than my ga does! now, don't get me wrong, i love my car to death, i'm just scared of the day i start having all these "common" problems..

atc3434
10-14-2004, 07:45 AM
The GAGT is a fun car to drive. I'll concede that the Honda Accords are great cars. If I had to buy something overseas, its be a Nissan or a Honda. But I'm all GM, so that day will never come. I can also concede that the GA will be a lot more fun than your Accord. Keep in mind you'll burn more gas with the GA, but its not too bad if your not a leadfoot.

You asked about the rotor warping. A lot of people warp rotors becasue they are hard and heavy brakers, they brake late, follow close, stuff like that. Thats not an excuse for GM putting crappy rotors on the car, but that is part of the reason why so many people have issues with the stock rotors. I had mine turned at 50k miles, and they've been ok for the most part since. They don't run perfectly straight, but unless you brake HARD on them, you don't notice a problem. Can't feel it just slowing normally. IF you are a heavy braker, aftermarket rotors will stand up much better to the heat. Brembo makes some OEM replacements that should be a good improvement over the stockers, so thats something to keep in mind.

papiogagt
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
brembo oem replacements are a big NO-NO!! They warp faster than GM rotors. and hard braking usually is not the culprit for warping rotors, it is people not tourquing their lugs to the right specs. it's the people that have shops do their work who just crank on their lugs w/ an impact wrench that cause the rotors to warp. I see it everyday at work (recon tech at a chevy dealer). But yes, the rotor problem is a very easy fix, get some aftermarket rotors, i.e. - powerslot, or r1concepts crossdrilled/slotted, and some good pads like greenstuff or performance friction. all the problems ga's have are for the most part, easy do-it-yourslef fixes. maitenance is the key!

atc3434
10-14-2004, 09:59 AM
brembo oem replacements are a big NO-NO!! They warp faster than GM rotors.
Thanks for the Brembo correction, I had heard they were a good replacement, I guess I shall stay away when its finally rotor time. Still, hard braking and heating the rotors will warp out rotors a lot faster than a easy gentle braker. When I got my car the rotors were warped out quite a bit, the previous owner admitted to being a heavy braker. I had them turned, and they've stayed pretty true since. Stockers are still ok for now I guess. I torque my own lugnuts once I get back home from the shop, because those guys really do some crazy stuff.

papiogagt
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
do you loosen them and then tourque them?

GTLUVA
10-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I owed three grandams. I have been driving them since March 1999 to Present. I will share my experiences with all of them try to keep it short. :)

1995 Grand AM Se Sedan White
~Bought it used had 29,000 original miles on it ran good expect a crappy Quad 4 but the only things I replaced on that car was a new fan belt, wiper blades, new front pads basically normal maintence items. The only problem I had with that car was my car wouldn't start one day just got an recall in the mail a couple days earlier stating my steering wheel could start on fire. So yep, I had a infected car took it to the closet dealership installed the saftey piece had to put a new battery in it and ran like a charm. Traded it in at 51,000 miles

2000 Grand Am GT1 Coupe Silvermist
~I still miss this car and its warm cloth seats. Bought it used in July 2001 with basically one owner high mileage 39,900 miles for being only a year and couple months old previously owners just beat the **** out of it cig holes all over, back rear cupholder ripped off, the backseat was still broke seat wouldn't go down properly, hairline crack in the rear bumper but I was a sucker and bought it because I just graduated high school and at the time gm didn't have all the good rebates going because this was two months before 9/11 happended. But I basically stuck money in the ride for basic repairs. I replaced brakes, rotors, new tires, and went through 2 blower motor resistors one every 17,000 miles. I had the nice rubbing tire sound for a couple of thousand miles but before I traded it in the last couple thousands miles I had a nice creaking going on in my transmission never really found out any more ifo on it. Kept the car for 21 months only so I can trade it on my new 2003.

2003 Grand GT1 Coupe Galaxy Silver
~Still don't know why I bought another one. I guess I wanted the leather and 30th Anniversary Edition and the XM Radio. But this is the first car I had bought new and thought heck it will be problem free but I still have a couple of things in my car that **** me off sometimes. But so far my 2003 I have replaced, the backup bulbs, and right fog lamp for moisture. Passenger side window regualtor and clips went bad at 10,000 miles. Now at 15,000 miles my stupid rotors are warping had them turned over for free on my warranty but I still get some nice shaking with the rotors on the highway sometimes not all the times but enough times for me to buy some aftermarket rotors. But other than that I baby the car change its oil every 3,000 miles and rotate the tires every 6,000 miles. But its still treating me the best I think out of all my grand ams. :)

atc3434
10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
do you loosen them and then tourque them? Right up on a jack, then back em off a touch and do them myself. Haven't had issues with my rotors yet, still the originals at 80k.

GTLUVA
10-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Right up on a jack, then back em off a touch and do them myself. Haven't had issues with my rotors yet, still the originals at 80k.

Damnit how do you get so lucky. I had rotor issues on my 2000 now I'm dealing with them again on my 2003 and you know whatz funny I don't drive my car in the winter time so I want to know why my 2003 rotors are going to hell already and I know my car is getting old fast 16,500 right now lol

Nikki
10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
But V6 Accord is a lot more $$ than V6 GA, isn't it?
He was probably talking about ricer kids who thinks their modded riced out 4 cyl ****box is fast, while our big V6 has plenty of torque.

Yeah thats true...cuz the 4 cylinders are not as quick. And yeah the V6 Accord is more expensive than the GA...

atc3434
10-14-2004, 01:32 PM
I think a lot of my rotor issues have to do me being really good to my brakes. I always brake easy, I don't brake often (not a tailgater) and I do make sure that my lugs are evenly torqued whenever the cars been worked on. I know my rotors have warped out bad before, they were horrible when I got the car. But there was enough to turn them, and they've been good since. If I really heat them up they start to get bumpy, but for the most part they're really good.

papiogagt
10-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Right up on a jack, then back em off a touch and do them myself. Haven't had issues with my rotors yet, still the originals at 80k.

that's why.. trust me!

crazypontiac03
10-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Pretty much like everyone else here. GA is a good car and a good car for the $. If u beat the hell out of it, it wont last. It does have crap resale vaule. But if you plan on driving untill its death or untill its paid for its not a big deal. All car's have crap resale vaule no matter what make or model. Granted Honda for some reason has the highest resale. It is a fun car to mod thought exspecailly if your going for "all show". If you want to race it lots of luck its not a 300hp car no matter what mods you do. Take car of it and it will last. These car's do have issues thought mainly the window regualtor. LIM's, Rotor's. Other then that not a big deal.

Not to get me wrong the honda's.maxima are good car's but your not going to get the same option's for the same price. Every car will have issue's no matter what make or model it just happen's. Some here have never had any issue's and other want to drive it off a cliff just like any other car/truck out there.

2002AmSE
10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
40,800 miles, the rotors have never even needed removal. I am a very heavy brake user, I stomp on it all the time and I have stopped at stop signs at times in the same manner as if there was a small kid riding his bike in front of my car. I have actually had more brake warp when I was being light on the brakes and I would just stomp them to the floor from about 55MPH and do it again and then it would be normal. It's time for new brake pads though and I suppose I will turn the rotors because everyone else does, but at the current time I have zero warp but I am getting a grind sort of sound from the front left tire when I get on it, so I will change the pads and inspect it for any grooving on the other side, I have already ran my nail across the side facing out and it seems nice and smooth.

fo44rd
10-15-2004, 03:29 AM
brembo oem replacements are a big NO-NO!! They warp faster than GM rotors. and hard braking usually is not the culprit for warping rotors, it is people not tourquing their lugs to the right specs. it's the people that have shops do their work who just crank on their lugs w/ an impact wrench that cause the rotors to warp. I see it everyday at work (recon tech at a chevy dealer). But yes, the rotor problem is a very easy fix, get some aftermarket rotors, i.e. - powerslot, or r1concepts crossdrilled/slotted, and some good pads like greenstuff or performance friction. all the problems ga's have are for the most part, easy do-it-yourslef fixes. maitenance is the key!

I agree with the over torque on the lugs being a big culprit on rotor warpage. I do not agree with having to spend a lot of $$$$ on the fancy rotors listed about. If they are warped, change the pads and any off the self rotor from an autozone,pepboys,napa, etc. will do. JUST TORQUE TO SPEC...OR EVEN 5 TO 10 FOOT POUND UNDER. You will be fine as long as you do not beat on the car.