Flasher relay clicking for no reason.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flasher relay clicking for no reason....

techntentions
10-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Ok,
I've narrowed this down to the blinker system only. I have an '02 GA SE ...... the relay for the flashers and hazard lights in the dash by the ETS button is clicking when ever it wants. Mainly after i use the blinkers.
I know it is somewhere in the blinker system... but not sure if it's a short, bad ground, or what. I've replaced that botton and relay.. ($40), and nothing is wrong with the old one...it still clicks whenever it wants.
I'm sure someone has had this problem, or knows what it could be, please reply to this thread.... all help is appreciated.
Thanks.

mr_eh
10-13-2004, 01:20 PM
i've got hoes in different area codes

take it to the dealer, theres a warranty thing out for them to replace the fooked up blinker system that came with the car (the relay)... take it to the dealer... 10 min job

techntentions
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
No, your wrong.... the recall was for the hazard flasher. This is the device clicking, but not the problem. I found out in another thread it's the actual blinker switch.
The car is not under waranty anymore. I will just buy a new one and replace the switch...thanks anyway.

babyklr
10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
The decive is covered under a recall. THe hazzard blinker and the turn singnals are the same thing behind the center console. My 2000 was doing the same thing.. drove me nuts! Take it to the deal and have them do the recall.

AznGA
10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
So since this is a recall, they will fix for free even if you don't have warranty anymore?

mr_eh
10-13-2004, 10:07 PM
yes yes i meant recall its free go get it fixed

manic mechanic
10-16-2004, 02:19 PM
It's the contacts in the signal switch (multi-switch) (multifunction turn signal lever) that become dirty and arc over slightly causing the relay (the one people keep telling you is the problem) to click randomly.

You can replace the turn signal lever, but the problem will return.

I had to clean my contacts and re grease them with dielectric grease to put and end to the problem.

My $0.02.

techntentions
10-16-2004, 06:24 PM
It's the contacts in the signal switch (multi-switch) (multifunction turn signal lever) that become dirty and arc over slightly causing the relay (the one people keep telling you is the problem) to click randomly.

You can replace the turn signal lever, but the problem will return.

I had to clean my contacts and re grease them with dielectric grease to put and end to the problem.

My $0.02.

Yes, this ended up being the problem.... all the replies above, you guys need to learn to read. I stated that I already spent the $45 to replace the clicker above the radio. My car is not a car with the recall on it. The problem is the switch stated in the above quote, and it has been fixed.

louveres
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I am having the same problem, it started today. So did you get this done at the dealer or you just replaced the turn signal lever on the left side of the steering column by yourself? If you did it by yourself, how much were the parts involved? Or, how do you clean the contacts, grease them , any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!

mcgrady
12-05-2004, 05:06 PM
I had that problem resolved under warranty about a week ago. It was the multi-function switch as others here have stated. Next time, I'll take it apart and clean the contacts! :)

louveres
12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
I guess I'll clean the contacts, it shouldn't be that hard.... Anybody took that apart? anything I should be careful about?

manic mechanic
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
First of all you'll have to remove the signal / multi switch and set it on a bench.

1.- In order to remove the switch a Torx T20 or T15 screwdriver will be required to remove the 3 screws from the bottom of the steering column.

2.- The cover can now come off (it unsnaps from the lower half).

3.- Leave the lower cover in place.

4. - You'll now be able to see that large horseshoe shaped multifunction switch.

5.- Unplug the three electrical connectors very carefully and remove the torx screw on top of the multifunction switch (T20 ??).

6.- The entire switch can now be removed as a unit and placed on the bench.

7.- Flip the switch over and remove the small screws holding the rear cover onto the main body of the multifunction switch.

8.- Try to keep the rear cover on as best you can as you don't want the signal switch spring loaded mechanisms to go shooting all over the place.

9.- The middle switch contains the signal contacts.

10.- Gently pry the rear cover up (but not too much) and see if you can see the contacts of the signal switch. They'll probably be covered with black grease.

11.- A "Q-Tip" and some electrical contact cleaner should be able to remove the grease and dirt.

12.- Using another "Q-Tip" apply a fresh dab of dielectric grease to the contacts to keep them smooth and free.

13.- Install the multifunction switch rear cover and reinstall the switch into the car.

14.- One important point - WHEN POSITIONING THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH BACK ON TO THE STEERING COLUMN, BE SURE TO DEPRESS THE SPRING LOADED HORN PIN.

15.- Your crazy, clicking, blinker days are over.

Good luck,
Len

louveres
12-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Thank you Len. I appreciate your help with the instructions. That is what I was looking for, some guidance. I can do this.
Lou Veres

charbygt
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I thank-you for the help as I followed the instructions. The clicking noise is now gone as the contacts are now clean..BUT my horn is now not working. I have the spring in the proper place and pushed it in while re-installing but not enough as it bent. I had in working in garage but after driving a day it will not work now. I see it in contact with the metal ring on the wheel ??? Help me if you can.
thanks

Infernall
03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
I need to do this fix to my 2001 SE this weekend. I'll take photos throughout the entire process to post here. Perhaps I can find a solution for your problem.

I thank-you for the help as I followed the instructions. The clicking noise is now gone as the contacts are now clean..BUT my horn is now not working. I have the spring in the proper place and pushed it in while re-installing. I had in working in garage but after driving a day it will not work now. I see it in contact with the metal ring on the wheel ??? Help me if you can.
thanks

Panacea
03-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Is the horn spring on the multi-function switch, or the steering wheel assembly?

charbygt
04-01-2005, 04:20 AM
I now know that the horn button got bent as I did not push it in all the way. When I straightened it a peice inside broke. The stem that touches inside swich is to short. I drilled out this (white metal) and inserted a metal pin to original length of other part. It works now but it was my fault for forcing the switch assembly. Follow that step closly or you create more work. The dealer here wanted $186 +tx plus $50 in labour to change a part that only had dirty contacts...

manic mechanic
04-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm glad you finally fixed that annoying horn problem.

Infernall
04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I created a new guide based on Maniac_Mechanic's instructions.

Repair Random Signal Clicking (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126)

manic mechanic
04-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Excellent write up Infernall. Pictures truly are worth a thousand words.

It's nice to see that some guys are realizing that damn clicking noise is not always the hazard flasher.

The best part about these forums is when people post back to say what worked or didn't work as a solution to their problem. So many times have I been left in the dark when the original post has not been verified or confirmed.

It's all about saving a few bucks and gaining some knowledge to boot. You've gotta love team work.

Len

Y2KGA
04-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Has GM changed the design on the switch to keep the contacts clean on the later model GA's?

This sounds like a safety defect that should be subject to a recall just like the hazzard switch.

Infernall
04-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Excellent write up Infernall. Pictures truly are worth a thousand words.

It's nice to see that some guys are realizing that damn clicking noise is not always the hazard flasher.

The best part about these forums is when people post back to say what worked or didn't work as a solution to their problem. So many times have I been left in the dark when the original post has not been verified or confirmed.

It's all about saving a few bucks and gaining some knowledge to boot. You've gotta love team work.

Len

I couldn't have done the repair or guide without your great instructions. Hopefully the pictures help people out.

AznGA
04-05-2005, 09:40 PM
The problem is the signal switch lever on steering column. When I had my warranty, my dealer replaced the lever, but the problem is back. The recall is on the module behind the hazard flasher button and it has nothing to do with this. So is there any way to cover the lever so it doesn't collect dust?

Y2KGA
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm still puzzled on how the switch could get dust in it. Shouldn't the electrical contacts be inside a sealed unit?

Infernall
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately the contacts are exposed.

You can see the photos in my guide, that the board is not sealed in any way.

Y2KGA
04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately the contacts are exposed.

You can see the photos in my guide, that the board is not sealed in any way.

If I were to buy this part brand new from GM would the contacts still be exposed or has GM modified the design?

ProtonXX
02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I have to call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to get my flashers fixed. If nobody else called ... take 15 minutes and call 888-327-4236

Sprucegagt
02-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I have to call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to get my flashers fixed. If nobody else called ... take 15 minutes and call 888-327-4236

:wtf

SlickyRyan
05-19-2007, 11:21 PM
My 2003 Olds. Alero has this issue. Planning on trying this fix tomorrow.