Alero 2000 Problem - Any Ideas from the Experts?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alero 2000 Problem - Any Ideas from the Experts??

adammsu
10-13-2004, 07:15 PM
So i bought a 2000 alero 3.4 and i have one problem with it. Well, i have a couple, but only one i am not sure about how to fix. It has automatic headlights (with a light sensor) that turns on the headlights automatically at night and the daytime running lights during the day. Only problem is that it is fritzed or something and the lights are stuck on (oh yeah, the automatic switch cannot be overrided from the steering column post, meaning that once the computer turns on the lights for dark weather, they won't turn off again until it light outside)

Anyone know how to overide/bypass the light sensor, or maybe how to replace the light sensor (and how much does that cost). Maybe it isn't even the sensor itself, but in a relay, i don't know, i am up for suggestions

thanks a lot

adam

action
10-14-2004, 06:42 AM
The light sensor is located in the dash in the front window defroster vent. Take it out and clean it, likely its full of dust and crap so it thinks its dark out all the time.

If that dont work (maybe a faulty sensor), then either leave it unplugged to disable automatic control, or install a jumper in the connector for the sensor. I can't remember if it needs a short or an open condition to keep the lights off, so try just unplugging it first (open).

adammsu
10-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Ok, sounds pretty reasonable. only thing now is that it seems pretty complicated to me to get that sensor out. The panel above it just snaps off, but it looks like the sensor is installed from below. how do i get the sucker out???

adam

action
10-15-2004, 07:55 AM
In the grand am's the panel just pops out, maybe with a flattop screwdriver. Aleros should be similar.

XMBlackGT1
10-17-2004, 05:45 PM
My 2000 Grand Am SE1 V6 did the same thing. I think it was in 2001 when they made it so you could turn the switch on the column off of auto and the lights would dim to park. I know that my 2000 se1, once the lights came on, you couldnt turn them off, unless u turned the car off. Sounds like your car is working properly.

action
10-18-2004, 08:49 AM
My GA is a 2000 SE, and the lights will come on and off automatically depending on lighting conditions. Mine will come on shortly after leaving the outside and comming into a parking garage. There is a delay there set by the factory so that the lights are not constantly flicking on and off.

They will go back off when you come back into daylight too.

Night time you can only have the lights turn off by shutting off the car, setting the park brake and restarting the car.

adammsu
10-19-2004, 08:13 AM
In the grand am's the panel just pops out, maybe with a flattop screwdriver. Aleros should be similar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The panel directly above the sensor (the panel with the slots for the defrost) does snap off, but like i said it appears that the sensor is installed from below, meaning that you can't just pull it out from above. Do you know what things i have to remove to get to it??

adammsu
10-19-2004, 08:15 AM
My 2000 Grand Am SE1 V6 did the same thing. I think it was in 2001 when they made it so you could turn the switch on the column off of auto and the lights would dim to park. I know that my 2000 se1, once the lights came on, you couldnt turn them off, unless u turned the car off. Sounds like your car is working properly.

only problem is that it stays on during the day as well, so there is some sort of problem there

adammsu
10-21-2004, 10:16 AM
it is a closed condition to turn off the light (i was tired of it, so i soldered it :)

adammsu
10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
and it does install from below