Fuel filter life [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter life

BiHStL
10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
How long doesa fuel filter last. Dealership couldnt tel me (surprise), midas said 72,000 miles and i read on the boards like 30,000 miles, can some tell me an exact answer! im at 52,000, i doubt its ever been done!

What benefits do i get from changing it ?

Mike Jung
10-14-2004, 02:45 PM
How long doesa fuel filter last. Dealership couldnt tel me (surprise), midas said 72,000 miles and i read on the boards like 30,000 miles, can some tell me an exact answer! im at 52,000, i doubt its ever been done!

What benefits do i get from changing it ?
The fuel filter lasts until it is plugged-up & not flowing enough fuel through it for the engine
The mileage it is changed depends on who you ask; from annually, to 25K miles, to when you change your spark plugs or have a fuel injector system flushed/cleaned.

IMO, at 52K miles: it would be a good idea to have the fuel filter changed (& maybe have the fuel injectors flushed/cleaned through the fuel rail system).
I have had my fuel filter changed (& at each time had the fuel injectors flushed/cleaned through the fuel rail system) twice in 6-years/50K miles.

If you don't change your fuel filter: you can have mis-fires from running too lean (not enough gas flowing through) & less power than before.

Some people have said they are getting better gas mileage after changing their gas filter.

brsexton
10-14-2004, 04:41 PM
I was wondering the same. It don't say anything in the owners manual about the fuel filter. I am at 28k, so I was thinking about getting it done with my next oil change.

2002AmSE
10-14-2004, 09:13 PM
My mom's car(1999 GASE) is at 63k miles and there has been no problems. The closest dealership gave up a pamphlet back when it was in for warranty and it had some bogusly early numbers in it. every 30k spark plugs, trans service every 25k, air filter 15k, oil 3k, fuel filter 25k. I asked the most knowledgeable looking tech there and he said that he agreed that every number was far too soon, but he basically told me that they are in it for the money and people who do service at dealerships shouldn't expect a good deal when there are quicker places to do it at. He also talked about how scheduled maintenence is harder to work in because they would rather have their priorities on fixing them to get people to work instead of helping someone with a working car, that part makes sense because they are understaffed.

mcgrady
10-15-2004, 06:36 AM
I do mine every 20,000kms. And even when changing at that low milage, the fuel that drips out of the filter on the "in" side is pretty much black from the dirt.

I usually gas up at Esso (Exxon) too.

action
10-15-2004, 06:54 AM
I change mine annually. Fuel is not that clean and filters are pretty cheap.

Also if you live in an area where rust is an issue, you wont want to wait too long becuase the end of the filter that you have to use wrenches on will seize up pretty easily.

I always use a little antiseize on those threads when putting on a new filter.

71Z28RS
10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I have the complete service manuals for our GA and the only thing it says about the fuel filter is a small blurb about how it doesn't require any regular maintenance. Huh??!!? A manual that will show me how to take apart the entire car and it doesn't even tell me where the filter is located!

Anyhow, I wouldn't wait too long because a dirty filter robs power and strains the fuel pump. A $6 filter and a half hour's work is way cheaper and less of a hassle than replacing your fuel pump if it burns up because it is overworked. And, your 2001 should have the newer/easier disconnect design so it should be way easier to do than our 96 was.

Good Luck!

BiHStL
10-18-2004, 07:24 PM
cool thanks!