Should i replace my oxygen sensor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should i replace my oxygen sensor?

EBlend
10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Hello
Just a quick question, once i was driving on the highway and an SES light came on...had it read, don't remember the code number but it was basicly a voltage spike in oxygen sensor. i cleared the code and it has never came back. My car has 93,000 km on it...should i just change the sensor? right now i can get a brand new bosche oxygen sensor for like 35 bucks CAD which is half the normal price for one of these. Should i just go ahead and replace it, or is the sensor still okay? i mean that problem happened once and never did again

any help would be great
thanks

ViperGTSR
10-14-2004, 04:31 PM
well, it cant hurt...and 35 cdn doesnt seem like too much at all

videoman
10-14-2004, 10:26 PM
IMO... Yeah it is abot time to change the sensor... From what I have heard around the 60k-75k kms mark is the best time to change it. Its fairly easy to get at and in most cases can be done durring a oil change. I myself only have 48k kms but will be changing mine this comming month. Because it is a fuel sensor and does deteriorate over time it can have an affect on your HP and fuel economy.

And trust me I know what the fuel prices are like right now... 84.9 cents a litre...

That itself hurts enough.

Cheers!

AaronGAGT
10-14-2004, 11:56 PM
There's 2 oxygen sensors arent there?

ViperGTSR
10-15-2004, 12:02 AM
yea

84.9cents a liter

hahahahaha thats awesome

EBlend
10-15-2004, 07:09 AM
There's 2 oxygen sensors arent there?

yes there are 2 of them, but if i am not mistaken the second one is right behind the cat....but since i had a code thrown in my other one i will replaca that one :)

mcgrady
10-15-2004, 07:25 AM
right now i can get a brand new bosche oxygen sensor for like 35 bucks CAD which is half the normal price for one of these.

Normally I like aftermarket parts, O2 sensors are not one of them.

We use bosch O2's at the shop. I see more more failures than I think there should be including my own vehicle. I recommend the spending the extra dough and going OEM.

I replaced the o2 on my old 96 Sunfire GT at 100,000kms as suggested maintenence. I used a Bosch. 3 months later, I'm 200kms from home and the car is flooding itself to the point where I can't go above 30kmh. I've got soot spitting out the exhaust 5 feet behind the car. Yet, no check engine light. I get to the shop, Ray pulls off the o2 harness and the car runs normal again. Bosch o2 went lazy but didn't fail outright. If it would have completely failed, I'd have been ok as the PCM would have entered limp mode as it did when he pulled off the harness in the shop.

action
10-15-2004, 07:57 AM
yea

84.9cents a liter

hahahahaha thats awesome

Here in NL we are up to 98.9 cents/litre :hang:

EBlend
10-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Normally I like aftermarket parts, O2 sensors are not one of them.

We use bosch O2's at the shop. I see more more failures than I think there should be including my own vehicle. I recommend the spending the extra dough and going OEM.

I replaced the o2 on my old 96 Sunfire GT at 100,000kms as suggested maintenence. I used a Bosch. 3 months later, I'm 200kms from home and the car is flooding itself to the point where I can't go above 30kmh. I've got soot spitting out the exhaust 5 feet behind the car. Yet, no check engine light. I get to the shop, Ray pulls off the o2 harness and the car runs normal again. Bosch o2 went lazy but didn't fail outright. If it would have completely failed, I'd have been ok as the PCM would have entered limp mode as it did when he pulled off the harness in the shop.

interesting information. damn, what about other aftermarket sensors? and idea?

thanks

mcgrady
10-15-2004, 09:50 AM
My opinions come based on personal experience and I don't have any experience with brands other than Bosch and AC Delco.

If it was me, I'd be buying the AC version. Check around though because some dealerships will sell at jobber/wholesale prices.