smell from exhaust [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : smell from exhaust

BiHStL
10-14-2004, 07:58 PM
there is a smell from my exhaust when i first turn on my car, maybe for the first 2 -3 minutes. Its like a gas/oil smell kinda, but it goes away. Im pretty sure it id normal, but i just wanted to check, i didnt want to take it to the dealer for now reason, cause i know they would tell me its something that needed to be fixed right away, and im way too poor for their BS.

Calgary_GAGT
10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Hmm.. not sure.

Perhaps a couple whiffs isn't helping.

I hear after about 15 - 20 minutes of inhaling the smell usually starts to go away though...

So does your vision...

Umong other things. I suggest you give it a try and let us know what you're finding are. lol

Bugh.. I'm such a ****.. with all kidding aside...

Personally I don't stand behind my car when I first fire it over, so really couldn't telll you what it usually smells like (Did that with my 66 enough times to know better) but, rest assured, when I walk by my car after firing it up first thing in the morning, I don't small the typicall muscle car exaust if that's what you think it smells like.

BiHStL
10-14-2004, 09:01 PM
lol SOOO thats why i am getting dizzyy!!!! JK, no but like when i turn the car on, have the windows down and back up i can smell it, but otherwise i smell nothing, ahhh im sure its fine, i just worry too much!!!

Calgary_GAGT
10-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Meh, worrying's coo unless you're a freak 'bout it.

Had a buddy that was in to grandpa wagon's.. last vehicle was a 94 Oldsmobile Ninty-Eight Regency Elite (Man, what kind of homo ass 20 year old drives that??)

Anyways, guy would go in when he got a big pay cheque, and ask his mechanic to fix anything they found wrong, and then threw a **** fit when it came back clean as a whistle.

Hopefully someone around here may no more about this exaust smell then the pair of us.. personally, I don't think there's anything wrong, but then again... Out of 3 vehicles I've owned, I've written off 1, gone through 2 tranny's and well.. I'm bound determine to do something dumb with my GA.

2002AmSE
10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't happen to smell like eggs would it?

Calgary_GAGT
10-14-2004, 11:05 PM
I was thinking the same, along the lines of the catalytic converter... however, I've never known cat's to throw gas smells. Rotten eggs, sure... but gas? Not to say it isn't the case... but, never had it.

I'm not sure if all cat's go for **** the same, but on my 95 Grand Prix, I had the cat go for **** (un-beknown to me, I figured it was a shot muffler) and it rattled like hell. Mechanic at Carline Muffler said that 99% of cat's that go make a good awfull rattle sound... wish I could remember if he said exaust fumes tend to smell different as well.

I keep visualizing carburated exaust fumes as what he was smelling.. really seldom I can small gas/oil exaust off of newer vehicles.

BiHStL
10-15-2004, 06:02 AM
no its not an egg smell like a cat, im sure its fine!!!

BiHStL
10-15-2004, 06:03 AM
its not like carbaurated fumes either, its not thats strong, its just a slight gasssy smell right when you turn the car on, nothing else

Calgary_GAGT
10-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Hmm... 'slight gassy smell'

Now that I think of it, I get accussed of that a lot out in public, at work, at home, at my friends...

I'm beginning to think it's my own body exaust. Perhaps you suffer from the same? lol

BiHStL
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
maybe man, that could be it, i havent been accused much of it by others, but i myslef notice it!! The first step to solve a problem is to confront, and i think i have, i sometimes smell Gas!!! lol lol lol

Matt95GT
10-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Catalytic convertors do not function very well at all until they are heated up. It's normal to smell gas until it warms up.

BiHStL
10-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Catalytic convertors do not function very well at all until they are heated up. It's normal to smell gas until it warms up.

Cool, thanks man!

Coop
10-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Yup, what matt said. If it was an oily smell (or cloud) when you first start it and then goes away after a mile or so that's typically worn/dry rotted valve seals. But that usually doesn't happen until high mileage and/or age.

atc3434
10-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Yup, what matt said. If it was an oily smell (or cloud) when you first start it and then goes away after a mile or so that's typically worn/dry rotted valve seals. But that usually doesn't happen until high mileage and/or age.

Get that with the GTA huh? Same deal with my IROC, worn valve seals = little oil burn at startup. Nothing to get too worried about.

BiHStL
10-16-2004, 02:21 PM
cool yeah i bet its just gettin warmed up, these is no cloud, and its not oily. Thanks for the help everyone

Coop
10-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Get that with the GTA huh? Same deal with my IROC, worn valve seals = little oil burn at startup. Nothing to get too worried about.

Yup gotta love those TPI cars :D Nah, I didn't worry about it until it started getting almost embarrassing then when I got a nice summer day and a case of beer I went ahead and changed 'em, only $15 for a set of fel-pro's and $2 for the spark-plug-compressed-air-adapter thing and no more blue smokey startups. The exhaust valve seals were completely gone - nothing but crusty chunkage in thier place :D