Quick question.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question..

rizer
10-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Randomly certain days the ABS light pops on and the TRAC OFF pops on at the same time. Happens while driving, however if i shut the car off and start it again, it stays off and usually wont happen again for a few days.

From doing a search, is the Inlet Air Temp. Sensor going bad? Or is it something else?

atc3434
10-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Wheel speed sensor taking a dump. Most likely will get worse, until the lights are on just about all the time. Requires a hub assembly replacement to fix, as the wheel speed sensor is intregal with the hub assembly and cannot be replaced seperatly. Just did one of mine 2 months ago. My prob with the trac off and abs lights being on is the steering gets ultra light, due to the power steering pump going to full on all the time, instead of just parking lot speeds. The ABS and traction control I can do without, but the steering drives me crazy.

rizer
10-17-2004, 02:11 PM
How much was this to fix? Im taking the car 3500 miles to school in 2 months so i should get it repaired.
Damn its hard saving money :(

Appreciate the reply

atc3434
10-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Part was 180 plus like 1.5 hours labor.

atc3434
10-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Its not a critical repair though, you can survive just fine without the wheelspeed sensor, you just will have the power steering full on, no traction control, and no abs. I delt with it for about 2 months before I had it fixed.

manic mechanic
10-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Trying using some compressed air in the area of the tone rings and the speed pick up sensors. The sensors are magnetic pick ups and flakes of rust and scale tend to get between the sensors and the tone rings causing the ABS and TRAC OFF lights to illuminate.

Try this before spending a ton of money on a wheel sensor.

rizer
10-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Trying using some compressed air in the area of the tone rings and the speed pick up sensors. .

May i ask where this area is? Never dealt with this before

Mike_99GAGT
10-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Its not a critical repair though, you can survive just fine without the wheelspeed sensor, you just will have the power steering full on, no traction control, and no abs. I delt with it for about 2 months before I had it fixed.

ATC3434 --- was it you telling me that you had 2 faulty assemblies before the 3rd on finally worked???....

GTLUVA
10-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Do you go to automatic car washes? My service engine soon trac off button kept on coming on for a while and it was the damn car wash tripping off my computer because my wheel speed sensor was getting water on it. Then the stupid dealer charged me $108 not covered under my factory warranty and tried blaming the problem on my amp and subwoofer connection. Stopped going to automatic car washes about 3 months already and no more lights popping up :)

atc3434
10-17-2004, 07:14 PM
ATC3434 --- was it you telling me that you had 2 faulty assemblies before the 3rd on finally worked???....

I had one go bad, and the one they replaced it with was bad, so the third one was ok.

rizer
10-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Um, its been raining the past 3 days so could be.
Its done it alot these past few days, usually only does it bout once or so every other week.

tubbsGT1
10-17-2004, 09:00 PM
ive had the same problem for a while myself. usually once i cut the car off and crank it back up...the lights are gone, but for some reason, this weekend they have came on repeatedly and even stayed on. and guess what......its been raining all weekend. how weird. can anyeon confirm that the hub assembly is the problem? and also, would someone post up the part number for the hub assembly

rizer
10-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, whenever id shut the car off and start it back up, the lights stayed off. Yet this weekend theyd pop back on minutes later.

I might try that compressed air deal if i can figure where to use it, heh

action
10-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Wheel speed sensor and the wheel bearing is all the same thing in the front. Have you been getting any rumbling noise from the front end, worse when you turn one way more so than the other???

Likely the wheel bearing, or the sensor or both are shot and need to be replaced.

manic mechanic
10-18-2004, 09:36 AM
The tone rings and ABS sensors will be behind the front brake rotors (and rear rotors) or behind the rear drums.

Pull a front rotor off and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

jmonte345
10-18-2004, 09:46 AM
My car is doing the same thing. Is it possible for the dealer to diagnose the problem even if the lights aren't on when I take the car in?

atc3434
10-18-2004, 09:56 AM
The codes that were being set should still be stored in the PCM memory, so they should be able to figure out which hub is giving you trouble.

GTLUVA
10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
My car is doing the same thing. Is it possible for the dealer to diagnose the problem even if the lights aren't on when I take the car in?

Welcome to the club lol Just make sure you don't have any aftermarket wires hooked up when you take it the dealer they will try to blame anything on the light besides your wheel sensor :)

jmonte345
10-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the club lol Just make sure you don't have any aftermarket wires hooked up when you take it the dealer they will try to blame anything on the light besides your wheel sensor :)

I have an aftermarket alarm/remote start so I guess that is what they are going to blame the lights on.

rizer
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Have you been getting any rumbling noise from the front end, worse when you turn one way more so than the other???

Likely the wheel bearing, or the sensor or both are shot and need to be replaced.

No rubling noise or anything. Rides smooth when turning.

Will the dealer charge you to read the car and see what exactly it is?

GTLUVA
10-18-2004, 11:51 AM
I have an aftermarket alarm/remote start so I guess that is what they are going to blame the lights on.

Depends on the dealer. The dealership where I bought my car I took it back there for the lights popping up and they tore apart my car for 3 hours and deicded to blame the lights on my amp wire so then they go disconnect my amp wire for me and charge me $108. I then went to a different stereo installer and had it reconnected back up but they were blaming my light on a bent pink wire :rolleyes:

rizer
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Heh, now my Low Trac comes on for a second after i put it in Drive and hit the gas

adammsu
10-19-2004, 07:52 AM
No rubling noise or anything. Rides smooth when turning.

Will the dealer charge you to read the car and see what exactly it is?

i went to a dealer and for them to even look at the car was 80$

brdrxtreme
10-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I had a 99 that was doing the same thing, i had other problems with the vehicle including the tps and the air charge sensor. If i remember all these sensors are tied into one loop in the electrical system, so i replaced the tps and i still got lights all the time, it was when i replaced the air charge sensor when i didnt get any more lights it was weird maybe just something fluke on mine. Thought i would share that with ya.

rizer
10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
lol, i just chanced the TPS bout weeks ago, and it was doing this then also. SHould look into that other sensor.
That easy to change?

rizer
10-19-2004, 11:11 PM
man, keeps getting worse and worse. Now once i totally stop then hit the gas, it like stalls for a second like it kinda wants to stall then low trac like comes on.

action
10-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Your ABS sensor is getting bad. If you have no noise comming from the bearing, then there's no rush to fix it. It'll eventually get to the point where the SVS, ABS, and Trac off light will be on all the time. At this point you will not have ABS brakes and 4 wheel lock ups are possible.

I've been driving like this for a year now because the wires got ripped out of one of the front wheel sensors last winter. No ABS is awsome!!!

I should get it fixed though, insurance companies base insurance rates based on these systems working properly, the only reason i havent gottten it fixed is because I havent had a spare $100 for the warranty deductable laying around!!!