1997 GA SE pooped out on me...help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1997 GA SE pooped out on me...help!

97grandamchick
10-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey, I have a 1997 Grand Am SE with the 3.1 V6, its an auto, has 130,000 miles on it. Anyways, it has been making some kinda weird noises lately, so I figured I would go get it checked out. After my class, I was driving out of the college parking lot, when my power steering quit. So I turned back into the parking lot, and everytime I tried to make a turn, my steering wheel would shudder real bad and it felt like the wheels were falling off. So i parked it and shut off the car and got out of it. Looked around, not sure what I was looking for though. Got back in the car, started it back up, and it started making horrific ticking noises, and banging noises, so I shut it off. Called my boyfriend, he came and looked at the engine, and said the timing belt was really off, and that it was rubbing up against the engine. He said that he was surprised it even started with the belt being off that bad. So we went to the mechanic in my boyfriends car, and he said that by the way I was talking about it, that it wasnt safe to drive, and it had to be towed in. I called my mom and she said just to keep the car at the college over night and we would figure something out tomorrow. So what do you guys think it is? It's only been making noises for a couple of days, so Im surprised something major happened this quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-
Amy

UNCTYPE-S
10-18-2004, 06:26 PM
hopefully its not a knock in the engine= R.I.P 97se.

mcgrady
10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Well, since the engine doesn't have a timing belt, you don't have to worry about that.

The belt your boyfriend saw was the serpentine belt. The idea of leaving the car and having it towed is a good one because that belt runs the water pump, a/c, alternator and p/s pump. The belt off also accounts for your steering noise. The car starts because the battery is ok but if you drive it, you could possibly overheat the engine. More likely the car would just die out on you as the battery runs out because the alternator is not charging.

If you're lucky, you'll only need a belt. There is a chance you have a seized pulley though which ruins the belt by not turning and burning through it. If it's just a belt, you should be able to get away at under $100 for a new one installed.

jon-w9
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
My pump is doing the same. I bought a reman pump to replace my OEM which was leaking fluid and leaves a line on the pass. side hood. The reman worked for about a week and I got this noise, almost like the pully was rubbing or the bearing was bad. So I took out the reman and bought a new pump, and a week later it is doing the same thing.

Do I need to replace the belt? I am changing the pump wrong?

97grandamchick
05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow...it's been a while since I posted that, and I was surprised when I saw an email in my inbox saying there was a reply.

Anyways...an update on the car...The problem mentioned above was that my power steering pump went out. Then 2 days later I had to get it towed again because my alternator was shot. In January, my car started smoking horribly....had it towed AGAIN...turns out my Power steering pump, water pump, radiator...and a couple of other things were bad on it...cost about 700 to repair. Then a few weeks later in February, my heater stopped working...found out the guy who had the car before me put Stop-Leak in the radiator, which plugged up my heater core. It wasn't too cold out, and I was going to get a new car in the summer anyways, so I didnt get it fixed. Then in March, I was driving home, my check engine light came on...and the car stalled on me. Got it towed, to find out I had a blown head gasket. Sold the car for 500 bucks as is, and went to a dealership and bought a brand new car all in the same day. And no, I didn NOT get a new grand am.

So, thats why I'm not on the forums often, if at all...you guys were very helpful with my car when I had it though...thanks.