Code P0442 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Code P0442

JGA-GT
10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Took car in today for scan, service engine light popped on today. Code read p0442 emmision leak. Anyone have any idea what it could be. The guy at autozone didn't seem to know. I have 2001 GT with 54,500 miles.

Aleromi
10-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Well that would mean to look for leaks around the EGR.... and or EGR vac. lines....

Mike Jung
10-18-2004, 08:48 PM
P0442 = Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
Like a loose gas cap.

Malaclypse
10-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Check your gas cap and make sure its tight.

preed4962
10-19-2004, 10:24 AM
The 2001 Grand Am's were known to have a problem with a rolled or pinched fuel sender seal that would cause this code (and the light) to set. The fuel tanks went from metal to plastic in 2001 and that is when this problem arose (I know, I am a warranty engineer). I will try to find the bulletin.

-Paul

preed4962
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Sorry, I was wrong it was 2000 that they went to plastic fuel tanks, in any case, your car is covered by this TSB

MIL Indicator Illuminated, DTC P0442 Stored (Replace Fuel Sender to Tank O-Ring) #01-06-04-007A - (Apr 11, 2001)
Table 1: For Vehicles Built After the Following VIN Breakpoints
MIL Indicator Illuminated, DTC Code P0442 Stored (Replace Fuel Sender to Tank O-Ring)
2000-01 Chevrolet Cavalier

2000-01 Oldsmobile Alero

2000-01 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire

This bulletin is being revised to add VIN breakpoint information for the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier and the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire as well as to clarify the applications for the fuel sender-to-tank O-ring. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-04-007 (Section 6 -- Engine).

For Vehicles Built After the Following VIN Breakpoints Plant Location
Chevrolet Cavalier
Pontiac Sunfire

Lordstown (7)
Y7116732
Y7116735

Ramos Arizpe (S)
YS102309
YS102393

Lansing Genasys (B)
YB900290
YB200181

Important
This bulletin only applies to vehicles built after the above VIN breakpoints. The early 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire models were equipped with metal gas tanks. The bulletin and seal listed below are only applicable to vehicles equipped with plastic gas tanks.

Important
All year 2000 Oldsmobile Alero and Pontiac Grand Am models were built with plastic gas tanks and are covered by this bulletin.

Condition
Some owners may comment that the Service Engine Soon Indicator lamp has come on. When the vehicle's stored code is read with the scan tool, DTC P0442 is found. This code indicates that the evaporative emission system has found a loss of fuel vapor.

Cause
The O-ring seal between the fuel tank and the fuel sending unit may have become rolled or pinched during installation.

Correction

Important
DTC P0442 may be set by any point of system fuel vapor loss. This includes a loose gas cap. Be sure to identify any possible simple points of system vapor loss before replacing the fuel tank O-ring.

Replace the sender-to-tank O-ring with revised seal, P/N 22626099, using the procedure found in the Service Manual. Refer to Replacement of the Fuel Sender Assembly in the Engine Controls sub-section which includes the procedure to replace the sender-to-tank seal.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Seal, Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

L1195
Seal, Fuel Sender/Pump Assembly - Replace
1.2 hrs

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Caputo777
07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
I have a 00 GAGT and my SES light came on...I tried tightening the gas cap and after a couple hundred miles when the light was still on I brought it to Autozone and it read P0442. The lady at autozone cleared the code for me and about 500 miles later it came back on. A mechanic I was at who was running a code check on my car to fix a wheel bearing problem said I needed (I forgot what he called the part) something that sends oil to the pistons replaced - he said he could have it done in about an hour for $85. I normally would of just had him go ahead with it but I was in the middle of moving from VA to NY so time was a factor.

I'm not sure if this part the mechanic was talking about is similar to the TSB but in looking at this TSB I'm wondering if that's what I need to do or if I should just buy a new gas cap. Any recommendations?

lone_wolf025
07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Go to a tech is your best bet. Most should have a gas cap tester and would be able to test the rest of the system as well. The hardest part of the job would just be having the right tools.

digitalballz
07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah evap codes are hard to diag if its not the gas cap. You have to smoke the whole system to try and find a tiny leak.

lvemy3100
07-12-2006, 10:56 AM
there are also some instances that the PCM will throw this code even when there isnt an issue... gm has this knack for not telling people that they have updatedthe PCM file for your VIN to prevent things.. such as this from happening... there are times that the code is correct and you do actually have a leak but in my particular case I went through 7 gas caps after replacing my whole evap system and still threw the code...

I got a DHP tuner (only allows use of newest files from GM) and after I flashed my new stock file I am yet to see that ses light come on for anything other than when I took out my Cat (dont have that light on anymore though..thanks to DHP)

I'm not saying go out and buy a tuner just saying that you may have to get a PCM flash from the stealership if nothing else fixes the issue

Hurricane
07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I have the same problem. Same code keeps getting set every so often. Replaced the gas cap, no luck.

I'm betting the the fuel sender gasket since:
1) It doesn't thrown the code as often now that it is warm out as it did during the winter.
b) The fuel sending unit was replaces a few years back for being faulty.

I'm not worrying about it too much. Every time it throws a code I read it and then clear it just to make sure that soemthing else isn't going wrong. But hey, it's a Pontiac, not like anything else would go wrong with it like crappy front brakes or a leaky LIM gasket.

JGA-GT
07-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm surprised to still see this thread, my Grand Am has been gone since 11/2004.