Dash lights, gauges, etc off at start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dash lights, gauges, etc off at start

mike2000
10-19-2004, 08:33 PM
My 2000 Grand Am SE has developed a problem that has lasted for about a month now. It starts and runs fine. About every 5-8 times its started, the entire set of dash lights does not illuminate at turnover. When this occurs, the dash gauges including the odometer do not work. Also some accessories have no power, such as the power windows, fan, AC, rear defogger and cruise control. Also the headlights don't automatically come on, but I can turn them on maually. Also the radio and wipers do work. When this condition occurs, anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 or minutes later, the dash warning icons lights all illuminate and all the mentioned accessories then work fine.
Any thoughts what could be causing this and how to repair it?

Thanks!!

AleroME
10-19-2004, 08:39 PM
replace ignition key switch cylinder. My bro's alero did the same thing.

Hes car will start but he had no working dash cluster, AC or windows.. nothing would work. But the engine is running.. then like driving down the road 3-30 min later it'll suddenly pop back on. But thing is like 1/20 start ups .. the instrument gauge cluster and all the accessories don't work.

We brought it to the dealer and they changed the ignition key cylinder .. i think it was like 300 bucks.