Steering Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

White Puma
10-20-2004, 05:22 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for a problem I have...

My steering wheel starts to shimmy at 75+mph but rides smooth under that speed. It's just when I am drviving without braking. I've had the suspension checked, brakes and rotars checked, and tie rods checked. The tires are balances and the air pressure is good. Could this be an alignment problem? I'm at a loss here, and it's driving me nutz when Neons are passing me and I can't accelerate cause my steering wheel feels like it is going to fall off!

The car is a 99 GAGT with 58,000 miles.

Thanks everyone.

mcgrady
10-20-2004, 05:56 AM
I would try rotating the front tires to the back and see where that takes you. A lot of "high speed" balance machines don't spin tires nearly that fast when balancing.

There was a problem very similar to this one time with a Caravan we were working on. Turned out it was a bad CV axle that made no noise at all. When we took the axle out, the joint just fell apart. Replaced it and the shimmy was gone.

White Puma
10-20-2004, 05:59 AM
I balanced the tires and the shimmy actually got worse. They are new tires too.
How difficult was it to replace a CV Axle and what other signs would you look for on a bad
CV Axle?

Thanks.

Rba007
10-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Ever replaced your rotors? STill on stock RSA tires? Both of those items suck majorly, and if they havent been replaced yet, shoudl be.

White Puma
10-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Replaced tires and rotors about a year ago. Wouldn't rotors only affect braking?

Rba007
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Just try a search, many people have had issues just like this.

Rba007
10-20-2004, 09:04 AM
I just read that you havent checked your alignment, that prolly shoulda been right behind making sure you had air in your tires on your priority list.

White Puma
10-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks Rba007, but I've heard that a bad alignment won't cause the steering wheel to shimmy and it just affects the directions of the vehicle? Any truth to this? i may get the alignment anyway though, I never got one when I replaced the tires...

Thanks.

Rba007
10-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Nope, youll shake like LA during an earth quake with a bad alignment. It will effect your MPG as well.

White Puma
10-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Humm, thanks. I'll get that alignment after work today. If it doesn't fix it, kindly send me $60.00 through PayPal for the re-imbursement!

I'll post results tomorrow.

atc3434
10-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Money monies still on a poorly balanced tire. Sometimes if they balance them when the are real cold, you won't get a good balance once the tire is warmed up. Mine would shake good until they had warmed up for a few minutes, then they'd be fine. Since my last balance, they've been the oposite. Roll smooth still they get warm, then they start shaking.

White Puma
10-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Anyone else think that a bad alignment can cause a shimmy in the sterring at higher speed? This seems to be a grey area...

atc3434
10-21-2004, 09:22 AM
I've been mis-aligned without a shimmy... I think what happens is that a mis-alignment will really bring out any funky tires, bad balances, tread damage, etc.

zinger
09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
A front end alignment will not fix a vibration. It will only fix a pull or a tire wear issue.

Cryogenic02GAGT
10-05-2005, 11:48 PM
All I can say is OUT OF ROUND TIRES!!!! This is a very common problem with all tires manufactured these days... Even the high end import/sport tires.... I would take it to a tire shop that has a road force balancer and a datum to check for out of round tires.. Out of round tires will balance on most balance machines but the vibration doesn't show until higher speeds... This is from my personal experiences with Eagle RSA tires and Toyo Proxes 4 tires... Plus used tires can become out of round or have radial separations that can cause awful vibrations... Slip your car into neutral next time you are out and let go of the steering wheel if it still vibrates and doesn't pull then it is most likely out of round tires.....

1hotgagt
10-08-2005, 01:54 PM
i would check your sway bar and or struts if they are bad or need new bushings your car will shimmy at high speeds

Mike Jung
10-08-2005, 03:57 PM
lol

Date check people.

Originally posted: 10-20-2004 ;oldpost:

& the last time White Puma was login online was: 12-07-2004.

I hoped he fixed it by now lol