Problem with security light system.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with security light system..

01redgt1
10-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Sup guys? Well early this morning i took my 01 gagt1 in for service due to my starter, the guys there said that the starter looked good with no problems. So as i waited the guy named dave comes back and said that my car wont start at all. So at that point i knew what it was. Since i got the car in march of 04 ive had the securiy light come on atleast 6 times. So i told him to turn the key to the on position and let it sit for about 10 minutes till the light resets. So finally the car starts and he told me that , that might be the problem with the car starting, so next week my car will be back in the shop to get that checked out. But my question is does anyone have this problem or had this problem before. He said the system might not be reading the key right. Im not sure if my extended warranty covers that problem. Lets cross our fingers.

Malaclypse
10-21-2004, 01:33 PM
I see this happen all the time. You need a passlock sensor. This includes replaceing the lock cylinder so the new cylinder will have to be coded.

After the passlock sensor is replaced you'll have to do the "Crank the car over then wait 10 minutes" deal again.

rizer
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Im wondering, can the passlock sensor/lock cylinder be swapped out by myself?
I cant afford the dealer's price :(

digitalballz
10-21-2004, 06:17 PM
I have this problem at least once a month ( except this month as I dont have my car). I just wait like 10 - 15 mins without the key in the ignition and that seems to take care of the problem.

action
10-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Do you have a remote starter??? If so, they have to bypass the passlock system, and when the car gets older you may very well have trouble with the splice that the installer did into the passlock wires, or trouble in the car starter module itself.

If not, pick up a service manual (haynes or chilton are decent) and do the fix your self. A manual and a willingness to "try anything once" can save you alot of $$$$ over the years by not haveing to pay dealer costs.

Malaclypse
10-22-2004, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't be able to tell you where to find the tumblers for the lock cylinder, though. Other than that I'm sure you could do it yourself. It might take a few times to get the code right.

material_wishes
10-22-2004, 04:57 PM
*repost*

crazyboykc
11-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Sup guys? Well early this morning i took my 01 gagt1 in for service due to my starter, the guys there said that the starter looked good with no problems. So as i waited the guy named dave comes back and said that my car wont start at all. So at that point i knew what it was. Since i got the car in march of 04 ive had the securiy light come on atleast 6 times. So i told him to turn the key to the on position and let it sit for about 10 minutes till the light resets. So finally the car starts and he told me that , that might be the problem with the car starting, so next week my car will be back in the shop to get that checked out. But my question is does anyone have this problem or had this problem before. He said the system might not be reading the key right. Im not sure if my extended warranty covers that problem. Lets cross our fingers.

I had the same problem... It started out happening once in a while, then slowly got worse and worse to the point where I got ****ed off and took it in for repair. It was the passlock system, and it costed me over $300.00 to get fixed! I haven't had a problem since. The only thing I got going on right now is the ABS, SVS, & TRAC light comes on randomly while driving at low speeds. Dont know what the hell that means and I am kinda afraid to find out since I am sure it will costs a lot to get fixed.

feature_edit
02-03-2005, 10:21 PM
In my experience, the ABS, SVS and TRAC OFF lights mean bad bearing hubs ... It's all wired into the same system. It's about $700 bones at my dealer. Only mine came on driving at speeds of 65 and above, and I could feel a noticable difference in steering when they did come one ... seemed everything switched off and steering became "easier" and not as "tight."

redramair01
02-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Im wondering, can the passlock sensor/lock cylinder be swapped out by myself?
I cant afford the dealer's price :(

Just get remote start put on, its 1/2 the price and you dont have to freeze your ass off in the winters anymore. I love mine :)

sc02grandam
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
you could always just bypass the passlock module