'99 GA GT Wont Start - Tons of symptoms [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '99 GA GT Wont Start - Tons of symptoms

Draug
10-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey folks,

I suspect my ignition cylinder, which works in conjunction with the factory security system may be failing. But, before I go into the dealership with an electrical problem (similar to giving the dealership a blank cheque), I thought I would check with the gurus to see if it could be anything else.

The car is a 99 Grand Am GT, in great condition. Engine runs like new. Brand new dry cell battery a few months ago. The car has an aftermarket car starter installed (installed in 99 by the previous owner, has worked great for me the past year)

My wide ranging symptoms:

1. Earlier this summer, the security light had come on a few times while driving. However, nothing seemed to happen, and the car started fine the next start. The light has not been on for a few weeks.

2. Also earlier this summer, the air conditioning, and power windows just quit working for a few minutes while I was travelling down the highway. They returned to normal in about 15 minutes.

3. For the past couple weeks, once in a while, the daytime running lights dont come on when the car is started. They do, however, come on as soon as the car is shifted out of park. This has happened 3 times, out of say 30 starts. Up till now, the lights always came on each time the car was started and left in park.

4. Today, for the first time, it wouldnt start. Tried to start the car with the remote starter, the park lights flashed (as they should), but the car did not start. I went outside to investigate, and it was as if the battery was stone dead (but it wasnt, I saw the park lights flash). I tested the battery, and it had full charge. I tried to start the car with the key, and there was no repsonse. The accessory lights, and instrument panel blinked on and then quickly off again as the key was turned to the start position, and remained off. The car did not crank at all. I left the key in the on position, and went to look for any loose connections at the battery. Before I touched anything, the headlights came on, and the instrument panel lit up. I turned the key to on, and the car started, after cranking 5 seconds longer than normal (and sort of uneven too - like a carborated car would if it were flooded). But, it started.

5. 2 hours later, the car would not start, and behaved as above. This time, before trying to start it, I turned off the remote starter. It still doesnt start, so I think I can rule out that it is the remote starter alone that is causing my problem.

I cant have a car that might decide not to start sometimes, so I have to fix whatever the underlying problem is.

Do any of these symptoms rule out the ignition cylinder? Do they prove it could ONLY be the ignition cylinder?

Any other thoughts before I take it in to GM? It is my experience that the closer to the problem you have the mechanic start looking, the better off you will be :)

Thanks alot for you help!
Draug

AleroME
10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Replace Ignition key cylinder for number 1 and 2 problem.. the rest.. i dunno as it may be the result of it.

brsexton
10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
My daytime running lights never come on until I shift to Drive....

psychoticpnut
10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
My DRT come on once i release the parking break...

CementBrain
10-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Try unpluging the Remote Starter. I had the same problems, and it was the R/S. When I unplugged it, car worked just fine. It's been 2 months now and still no problems. I will buy a new R/S soon though. Just my 2 cents.

UldLose
10-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Has the same problem about a week ago. I have a very good dealership when it comes to mods. Drop off my car with the same symptoms you just described first thing they asked me was do you have a Remote Start answer was yes( don't have any type off alarm anymore.) the first thing they did was remove the remote start, car turned right over, put it back in car turned right over . just as saftey precaution the changed the Lock cylinder. said her you go anymore problems remove the remote start. okay. well needless to say teh next morning car would not start. soo out came the alarm. now the car starts every time. no mater how cold how hot how damp. a side not if you can get at your bypass module remove it put it in a zip lock bag put it in the freezer for about 2 hours put it back in the car. see if it starts the cold temp could be affecting it. the colder it is the less resitance the hotter it is the more resitance. our passlock will not disengage if the resitance is too low. it will however work if it gets to high.

Draug
10-21-2004, 11:06 PM
That is interesting about other people's daytime running lights coming on only after the car is shifted out of park. I wonder whe mine have always come on as soon as the car is started? Incidently, they seem to be coming on only after shifting out of park more and more.

I am slowly being convinced that there is some other electrical problem other than the ignition cylinder. It cant be the battery, it is next to new. I have also checked the battery connections, and the main connection to ground; they are ok. I am convinced there is another electrical problem because the electrical system draws quite hard when any extra power is turned on. The car draws (and then bounces back up right away) when the rear defrost is turned on, the reverse lights come on, or when the brake lights come on.

I have turned the remote start off. Unfortunately, the symptoms seem to continue. I wish I could do without remote start, but they are just too convienent for our cold winters. Regardless, I think the problem exists past the remote start unit.

The investigation continues....