Squeaking Belt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Belt

blckgagt
10-20-2004, 06:18 PM
I have the fast foward performance pulley on my car and not long ago I found out I had the wrong belt size on the car for quite a while, i believe over 7 months. All it did was squeak very loud from 0-20 then stopped. It didn't matter if it was in drive or reverse. I finally got it changed out with a smaller belt because it turned out that the one i had in there was too loose. The shop said that this one fit just fine and wasn't loose at all. Well turns out now it only squeaks from about 20+mph and gets louder and louder the fast i go. I took it to the shop and had them look at it and they didn't find anything. They told me that if im driving the car and its squeaking take it in. Well sure enough when i left i started going down the road and it started up again. I took it back to the shop and they said that since it only squeaked from 20mph and on, they had noway of knowing what was causing it, so they told me to go to an aftermarket place that does that sort of thing. But would having the wrong size belt on it for 7 months cause this? I hope not. If so, i can i fix this(new pulley??). I hope not.

action
10-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Buy a can belt conditioner from your local parts store. Its a spray can that you spray on the belt as the engine is idleing. Works great.

blckgagt
10-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Well i took the car into the shop again when it was squeaking pretty bad. I checked it out the night before and it sounded like it was coming from around the alternator. Turns out that the belt is slipping around the alternator and they gave me two options to "hopefully" fix it. Option 1: Replace the alternator, which i just bought 4 months ago. Or option 2: replace the belt tensioner, which they hoped would put more pressure on the belt to prevent slipping. And about the belt conditioner, i did put WD-40 on it hopefully hoping id be able to find out where the belt was slipping at but it didn't do anything, it kept on squeaking. They asked if i had put any dressing on the belt and i said yes, they said that that wouldn't solve the problem.

blckgagt
11-17-2004, 06:03 PM
well i decided to finally take it in and see if replacing the belt tensioner would solve the problem. So i got to pick up my car start it up and hear a little chirp. I put it in drive start driving away and sure enough the d*mn thing is squeaking still. Im really getting sick and tired of replacing stuff to solve this problem and hearing this annoying squeaking sound. Does anybody have any solutions to this? I tried locating where the sound was coming from and it doens't seem like its coming from near the tensioner anymore, so im thinking maybe i need to replace the underdrive pulley as well now. Can anyone help?