starting problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

kipster
10-23-2004, 05:56 AM
hey guys. i have a 00 gagt and the last couple of days it has been acting up while starting. it doesn't seem to want to start the first time, it almoat does then stalls. i hold the key on lots long but it just won't catch. the worst part is, is that when it does this the security light starts flashing and it won't start for about 10 minutes. it's done this four times in the last week. any suggestions on what might be causing this would be great. thanx.

action
10-23-2004, 06:11 AM
Turn the key to run for about 5 sec or so before cranking the starter when starting for the first time of the day.

If that's not the problem, then you may have a faulty ignition switch (causing the security passlock to kick in)

Brken123
10-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Most likely it's a bad lock cylinder....(the thing you stick your key into)....happened to me right after I got my car, and the dealership replaced it under warranty. If not under warranty, for a dealer to do it is about $300.....but it's definately something to get looked at.....cause if you ignore it or try dealing with it (like I did) it gets progressively worse. Hope this helps.

kipster
10-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey, thanx for the info. At least i know what it is now.

2002AmSE
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Is this just coming up alot or could this be weather related, we've got a good deal of people with this problem at one time and alot of people seem to have it starting around now.

NorKoastal
10-25-2004, 08:52 PM
My problem was the fact I dont smash around on the freeway enough.. I do stop and go so my car let me know that it needs some luv... A bottle of techron did the trick but Im changing my plugs, wires, buying some combustion cleaner and coolant in the next week or two...

Brken123
10-25-2004, 09:43 PM
???? Honestly I'm not sure if it's weather related or not. I bought my car the beginning of november and towards january I started having this problem.....by the middle of february it was an everyday occurence. Now oddly enough my ex girlfriend had a 94 GA SE and hers did the same thing.....in the middle of december (the year before I bought my car). SO maybe it is weather related? Anyone else out there had this happen to them right around when it started getting cold outside?

Malaclypse
10-25-2004, 10:16 PM
THis is a common problem with many N-bodies. I see at least 1 or 2 a day that I have to put passlock sensors in. It happens sometimes on the newer W-bodies, but not nearly as much.