Something wrong with the power steering. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with the power steering.

MarcRiedel
10-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Well tonight I was having some idiotic fun, as in 180s in the rain, etc.

anyways, i decided to do some RWD action, so i put my car in reverse, cranked the wheel and went to work. Well, after i came to a stop, wiped the smile off my face, and started to go, i noticed a problem. I didn't have power steering.

My fluid is fine, and now it seems to come & go, but when i'm going slow, its definetly gone. What do you think I did wrong? Did i just like... break off a hose or something?

advice is welcome, comments about how much of an idiot i was are not :boogie:

AznGA
10-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Your steering pump is blown. Same thing happened to me when I did that in snow. I got a new pump under warranty.

MarcRiedel
10-23-2004, 11:36 PM
how much does that cost? I dont have a warranty.

tenspeed
10-24-2004, 06:09 AM
A remanufactured pump is between $60 and $130 at www.rockauto.com

action
10-25-2004, 09:17 AM
I had the same thing happen, just not in an idiotic manner like that!!! j/k

Look at the power steering pump, and check the pully for excess play. If you can pull the pully away from the pump AT ALL, then you have cracked off the shaft and the pump will have to be replaced.

Check the how to section for my post on replacing this yourself.

Molson
10-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Well tonight I was having some idiotic fun, as in 180s in the rain, etc.

anyways, i decided to do some RWD action, so i put my car in reverse, cranked the wheel and went to work. Well, after i came to a stop, wiped the smile off my face, and started to go, i noticed a problem. I didn't have power steering.

My fluid is fine, and now it seems to come & go, but when i'm going slow, its definetly gone. What do you think I did wrong? Did i just like... break off a hose or something?

advice is welcome, comments about how much of an idiot i was are not :boogie:
you post about being an idiot, you are going to get comments.

You're an idiot!

Pay to play I guess. sounds like a pump to me too.

Blight
11-07-2004, 04:31 PM
LMAO 2 hours ago i was doing the exact same thing except not in reverse. I love that other people have messed things up before me in the same way so i dont have to wait for prices and stuff, theyre already posted. :)

Pacman
11-07-2004, 05:39 PM
You're an idiot!

*iagree*
you must've really been going at it. usually, you'll see signs of the PS going when the wheel is getting harder to turn and you start hearing the pump screaming. oh well... lesson learned lol

action
11-09-2004, 06:34 AM
When your at sh!t like that, you will break the pump. If not, the pump may last forever so there are no signs of it going bad. The shaft from the pully is thick at the pulley, but just inside the pump it tapers down to about 3/8"!!! This is very small and cant take the strain fo abuse and cracks off.