Top Engine Cleaner - did I do something wrong? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Top Engine Cleaner - did I do something wrong?

mfuller
10-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I suppose this won't make much sense to those who haven't used GM Top Engine Cleaner (or SeaFoam, etc.), the the instructions are to warm the engine to operating temp, empty 2/3 of the bottle in through the PCV line while keeping RPMs up so as not to stall (I probably kept mine too high at about 1500), and then dump the rest in to stall the motor, and wait 15 minutes before blowing the crap out with a heavy right foot.

I couldn't get my car to stall out! There was a crapload of vacuum when I pulled the PCV line of the PCV valve.....really not too much smoke either. I had to just shut off the ignition after I emptied the bottle. Whaddya think?

Rba007
10-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Hmm. Ive used seafoam twice on my 2.4, both times getting it to die wasnt a problem...

I used a turkey baster (with the bulb part removed) shoved into a vacuum line in my intake manifold. Also, I know seafoam doesnt say to use the entire bottle in that manner, its like 1-2/3'rds i believe. Then let it sit for several minutes, and just start her up. Ive had no problem getting plenty of carbon to come out of the pipes. Id bet it did its job even if she wouldnt kill off for you.

carsarecool
10-24-2004, 01:06 PM
how'd you use it on a 2.4, which vacuum line? cause i know we dont have PCV valves like the 3400....and whats it do, just clean carbon deposits out of the intakes and stuff? is it worth doing w/ 85,500 mi.?

Molson
10-24-2004, 01:34 PM
^^ I used the brake boost line on my 2.4

Back to the topic at hand.

Matt, I had that trouble before, obviously the reason to stall it out is so it sits "wet" if you got the car to stop while still putting the TEC in, should still be ok. Mine didn't smoke putting it in. It smoked on the restart, and for 30 mins after (Ask Seth)

mfuller
10-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Hmm.....after I let the car sit for about 15 minutes, I took it for a drive......really ragged on it just to make sure I got all the gunk out - again, very little smoke. I did have a SES light (for misfires) that I had to reset, but that really didn't surprise me.

iceman
10-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I couldn't get mine to stall out either, it was too difficult to dump that last remaining part in that fast. Mine sent out craaaaaaazy smoke though.. maybe I had more buildup than you??

NorKoastal
10-25-2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.motorminute.com/Service/CarbonRemoval.pdf This page has a step by step.... What is the best method for the 3400 users.. The host that connects to the PCV or right into the TB once the MAF is removed???

XtremeGaGt00
10-25-2004, 12:39 PM
u dont want the engine to stall out, you will hydrolock it and possibly mess somthing up, just let the engine cleaner flow into the engine,(manifold vacuum) and regulate it. just crimp the hose a little bit, itll be better if you can have a clear hose so you can see the flow rate. When the botle empties, wait about a half hour or so and then start the car. the first initial start up will be a little hard but it will start after a few times. then use your lead feet and drive the car around until the smoke is done pouring out of the exhaust pipe...

XtremeGaGt00
10-26-2004, 12:38 PM
p.s. you dont have to keep the car at a certain rpm. idle is good enough. the reason i was saying you dont want to kill the engine is because you can snap/bend your connecting rods and the very worst.

XtremeGaGt00
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
p.s. you dont have to keep the car at a certain rpm. idle is good enough. the reason i was saying you dont want to kill the engine is because you can snap/bend your connecting rods at the very worst.

Hexx
10-26-2004, 03:48 PM
wow how did u double post?

XtremeGaGt00
10-26-2004, 03:51 PM
accidentally hit the post button twice...whoops

Hexx
10-26-2004, 07:37 PM
accidentally hit the post button twice...whoops

Yeah but theres a 45sec time limit between posts.

h82lose
04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Where is the brake boost line on the 2.4?

Ajaxus
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
im bringin this one back from the dead. everything worked fine when i used the seafoam but i had that same end result, NO smoke show. i did some driving to make sure it was fine and it ran alright, but still no smoke. any ideas?

SikMindz
06-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Clean running engine possibly you doofus?

iceman
06-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Weird.. I just did this recently again, plenty of smoke. Sucked it up in the FPR line this time, made it easier

Ajaxus
06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
first time i ever did it doofus. got 50k miles on the engine, my thoughts is that it isn't clean. ill try the fpr next time as well.

maybe i can't see or something? i decided to put the rest in the gas so atleast i cant screw that part up. i guess ill try again when i get close to my next oil change.

slowbird
06-02-2006, 12:43 PM
When I did mine I sucked up about 1/4 of the bottle through the PCV line. I just hooked up a Vacum line from the PCV and stuck it in the bottle.

The car ran rough and when the bottle emptied I shut her off.

After 20minutes I started her up and she ran rough for about 10 seconds...she then smoothened out.

I got quite a bit of smoke....but not alot. When I did this on my 88 Cutlass I got a HUGE CLOUD.

With my GAGT I got about 1 minute of dirty exhaust.