Help Please!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I really need help ASAP. i know i posted in the other forum. but i need help soon before the cars are gone

2000 Eclipse RS Black 74K Auto Pw, PL, PM

2000 Grand AM GT Black/Black (leather maybe), Auto, Moonroof, power everything....possibly a GT1 dunno how many miles

$5,995 for both

which one to get?????

mcgrady
10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
According to the figures I found, the Eclipse 4 cyl auto is harder on gas than the GA V6. With the GA having more options, it seems like the better deal. But, if it has a lot more miles than it isn't.

Did you test drive to see which one you peronally liked better???

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 02:43 PM
No. ive test drove a 2000 GT1 tho. same exact thing. basically. i loved it.

i know that pontiacs arent that reliable. which is why im wondering. the grand am does have more options tho. which is one of the reason i want it.

UNCTYPE-S
10-24-2004, 03:14 PM
we dont need more then post about the same topic, please have the others deleted.

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 03:17 PM
i tried. it wouldnt let me delete it.

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 03:57 PM
okay so. right now im leaning towards the Grand AM. are there any eclipse supporters? or is this an obvious answer by going with the grand am?

AznGA
10-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Well of course since this is a Grand Am site, a lot of us will tell you to go with the Grand Am and that's what I will say. That base Eclipse with 4 cyl auto will be really slow compared to GA.

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Well of course since this is a Grand Am site, a lot of us will tell you to go with the Grand Am and that's what I will say. That base Eclipse with 4 cyl auto will be really slow compared to GA.

yea i was thinking that. but then there are some people who say they wish they never bought their grand am and bought foriegn. im stuck at the crossroads and just wanted some opinions to make a more informed decision

scotiez
10-24-2004, 06:55 PM
No. ive test drove a 2000 GT1 tho. same exact thing. basically. i loved it.

i know that pontiacs arent that reliable. which is why im wondering. the grand am does have more options tho. which is one of the reason i want it.

I think the Pontiacs are very reliable. It all depends on the car and how well you take car of your equipment. You will get your lemons in any brand car you buy. Of course you mostly hear all the problems that a person has but with the amout of grand ams out there there are many people who don't have any or very little problems. My 04 is to new to find out if it's a good car or not but my 2000 SE i had for 4 years and not one problem with it the whole time. I think it was an excellant car.

AznGA
10-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Well Mitsu is an import brand, but I heard that their reliability isn't that great. Is this gonna be your daily driver? You are gonna mod it?

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 09:14 PM
yea its gonna be my daily driver. for mods...if it was a GA id get the SCT package and an Exhaust. some tint, maybe tail lights. little things.

if its a Mitsu id get a spoiler cuz it doesnt come with one in an RS, rims cuz the stock tires are 195/65/15 (donut tires), maybe a body kit. probly WW cuz they make ones that are almost close to stock height , looks more like a lip kit. probly exhaust.

basically id probly semi r i c e out with the normal import stuff to the Mitsu wit an intake and exhaust, just cuz i know its slow. the engine is a 2.4L auto with 145 horsies. im betting my 94 Accord 2.2L 145 hp Vtec Auto is faster...and its already pretty slow.

im really looking for a WS6 TA LS1 but i dont want a high payment because i dont want to work 24/7. basciallly, as far as looks goes, the next step down is the GA Gt with the SC/T package.

but i do like the Mitsu. it can look good....it would just take more time and money. the stock RS looks bad with the donut tires and no spoiler.

of course the GAs got traction control and i do live in massachusetts with horrible weather....maybe it would hellp out .

AznGA
10-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Drive the Mitsu and see if you like it.

Braves299
10-24-2004, 10:25 PM
go with the grand am. they're great cars.

BTW, why does your car info say you have a 2001 Grand Am GT1?

Mike Jung
10-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Well Mitsu is an import brand, but I heard that their reliability isn't that great...
Mitsubishi - defects (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36736)

I guess you can say they had some problems in their past :rolleyes:

...of course the GAs got traction control and i do live in massachusetts with horrible weather....maybe it would hellp out .
:nono: about the traction control (that just limits your wheel spin on the front driving wheels).
Just get better tires for the GA for the winter time; like Bridgestone Blizzak's or as such winter tires.

AznGA
10-24-2004, 10:55 PM
I think the Pontiacs are very reliable. It all depends on the car and how well you take car of your equipment. You will get your lemons in any brand car you buy. Of course you mostly hear all the problems that a person has but with the amout of grand ams out there there are many people who don't have any or very little problems. My 04 is to new to find out if it's a good car or not but my 2000 SE i had for 4 years and not one problem with it the whole time. I think it was an excellant car.
Mine has been very reliable. My parents both had GM cars. 94 buick and 97 Oldsmobile. My car is far more reliable than both.

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 11:06 PM
it says that cuz i needed to pick something for garage i thought to register. and the closest thing i have to "grand am gt" was my gf moms 2000 Grand Am Gt1 Coupe. ive driven about 5 or so times. (at first i thought it was 2001, but the more i found out about GAs i found out it was a 2000)

i woulda put a 94 Accord Ex if i knew i could. i thought it had to be a grand am lol. cuz thats what everyone else had.

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Mitsubishi - defects (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36736)

I guess you can say they had some problems in their past :rolleyes:

damn.....i gotta look into this....

AznGA
10-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Well Mike Jung posted a great info. Looks like you want the GA.
:)

magnanpi
10-24-2004, 11:36 PM
yeah probly. i gotta call 2morow to see how many miles on it. and see if it is a GT1 or a GT.

99GApunk
10-24-2004, 11:46 PM
are you buying it from a dealer? if so where in mass?

magnanpi
10-25-2004, 03:56 AM
no. the one im looking at is a private sale in malden.

i found it in Auto Hunter

magnanpi
10-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Okay EDIT time

theyre both dealers but posted in a magazine thats used mostly for private sales....

anyways heres the updated specs

The guy with the eclipse will sell for $5995. Hes in billrica im pretty sure u kno what an RS stock looks like.....UGLY...lol. the dealer also offered me a V6 Stang 2000. 100,000 miles for $5300. i dont want a V6 girly stang.....id need the V8

then the Grand Am. Like i thought, its a GT1 coupe which is good for me as it means all the options. but it has 100,000 miles on it. and i know thats kind of alot if its not an import which will last for a really long time like honda or toyota or nissan or something.

so do u think its worth it???

2000 Grand Am GT1 2 dr 3.4L Ram Air 175 hp All options 100,000 mil $5,999

or

2000 Mustang V6 2 dr base model 100,000 mil $5,300

or

2000 Eclipse RS 2 dr Auto 2.4L (Stratus Engine) 145 hp base model 74,000 mil $ 5,995

for me its Grand Am and the Eclipse. Mustang is only on here cuz its newish and cheap.

but will the Grand Am last without any major repairs? i want to be driving a lot.....not in the shop all the time. haha

help with the new info???????

by the way the worker who picked up said sticker was "$9000" lol i think hes lieing. anyways he said if i saw the ad for $5,999 i can get it for that price.

Breadfan
10-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Just a head up, my 2001 with 69k miles in MINT condition goes for about $6900 wholesale. (Thats what carmax offered when I had it appraised.) Retail is more like 9k.

The 2000 would have to be in tip top shape to be worth 6k. Mine is probably worth 8k realistically, so one a year older with 100k miles (the magic number for depreciation) should be atleast 2g less.

Just read posts here in the tech section. There are lots of people here with issues on these cars. I've not really had many myself, however I'm not sure whats in store for me as I venture towards 100k. I did know someone with an older GA with 180k on it running fine, but IMO there are plenty of problems people have on them and you'll find that looking through here. Based on that I might not shy away from a 100k mile GAGT, but I'd want a damn good deal on it. Probably wouldn't pay over 5k for it myself, unless it was in great shape and had decent maint. records.

I dunno maybe I'm undercutting the value, but honestly I'd not want to pay 6g's for a Grand Am with 100k on the clock, especially if it's had dexcool its whole life which in GA's can lead to intake manifold gasket failure - a $1000 fix if you pay someone to do it. (I've not had to do that yet...)

Breadfan
10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
This Mustang GT is $6k and has 42,000 miles...wonder if this is a typo:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=172649957&dealer_id=&car_year=2000&make=FORD&distance=any&max_price=6000&model=MUST&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=0&address=20181&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=2000&color=&cardist=2280

BTW, use autotrader to search for cars you want. You can atleast get an idea of what they should cost at what mileage. Plenty of V6 Mustangs 2000 and above for under 6k with well under 100,000 miles...

Black Z28
10-25-2004, 08:15 AM
the eclipse RS is a stripped down bare bones car. no painted mirrors or door handles. usually they don't have a sunroof or power windows. not to mention they're slow as dogs. get the GA you'll be happier in the long run

GrandAmChick
10-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Personally, I wouldn't get a GA with 100K miles.. especially for $6K. I wouldn't spend $6K on ANY car with such high mileage actually. There's just too many problems. If u really want a GAGT, send a PM to iceman (he may or may not be selling.. I think he's checkin out a dealer next weekend tho), n check his cardomain or n-body..

magnanpi
10-25-2004, 09:49 AM
This Mustang GT is $6k and has 42,000 miles...wonder if this is a typo:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=172649957&dealer_id=&car_year=2000&make=FORD&distance=any&max_price=6000&model=MUST&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=0&address=20181&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=2000&color=&cardist=2280

BTW, use autotrader to search for cars you want. You can atleast get an idea of what they should cost at what mileage. Plenty of V6 Mustangs 2000 and above for under 6k with well under 100,000 miles...

i was lookin at auto trader. most of the GA's had 70 or so thousand miles and were around 7,000 or 8,000 for the options i wanted. of course alot were 4 door im lookin for the 2. i also didnt want the "tourqed" rims i think the others on the GT look better. and this car just so happens to meet all criteria for the car. (black with black leather, GT1, 2dr, cheap) but with 20,000-30,000 extra miles.

im gonna check it out 2morow. i hope theyre all highway miles. i mean. i had 69 K miles on my honda when i bought exactly one year ago. Now i have 101 K miles. all highway. i drove home from school friday morn or thursday night and back every sun night or mon morn. 108 miles each way.

Braves299
10-25-2004, 09:49 AM
but it has 100,000 miles on it. and i know thats kind of alot if its not an import which will last for a really long time like honda or toyota or nissan or something.

Worst thing ever said... PERIOD.

Oh nevermind. i forgot about the oh so Godly hondas and toyotas that will last for 6846548674657654378674 years with 354465414568765168764687651645 miles on them and STILL never burn a quart of oil.. and those poor American companys that can't even make a car that lasts for more than 20K miles right?

Bulls**t!!!!!

magnanpi
10-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Oh nevermind. i forgot about the oh so Godly hondas and toyotas that will last for 6846548674657654378674 years with 354465414568765168764687651645 miles on them and STILL never burn a quart of oil.. and those poor American companys that can't even make a car that lasts for more than 20K miles right?

Bulls**t!!!!!

:doh:
Naah i didnt mean it that way. but my hondas got 101 K right now. nothing major has ever gone wrong with it. even other people have told me not buy an american car with over 100 K miles. im just saying what ive heard. i have no experiance

i want an american car. i really do. i love grand ams. i just hope i dont get a lemon

i dont care about resale value. i just dont want it to end up like my 92 nissan pathfinder. i put over 3,000 dollars in it fixing it after i hit the 100,000 mile mark.

it didnt even pass emission inspection so the put gaskets into stop the exhaust leak (common problem in those pathfinders) i needed a new Cat $900 bucks from Nissan dealership. and then the frame rusted through real bad....bad enough that if i hit a big enough pothole my whole wheel, axle, and suspension on my left rear tire would fall off while driving. so i sold it for $500 bucks with only 118 K miles on it. 4 wheel drive too.

Breadfan
10-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Thing is, no one here can give a guaruntee that the Grand Am will be trouble free after 100k miles. Like I said, it depends alot on maintenence records. There are some common problems most people experience, the LIM (lower intake manifold) gasket being one of the bigger ones.

Then again aside from crappy rotors, a malfunction in my passlock system that caused a no start situation (worked after leaving key in it for 20mins), faulty brake fluid level sensor, A/C switch not working in fan position 1/2 (common), and a drivers window that stopped working until I tapped on the motor with a screwdriver, my car has been largely trouble free.

But at the same time, it's a 2001 which I bought new, has 72k miles, and I'd damn sure hope a new car in this day in age will be ATLEAST this trouble free by that many miles and NOT be a Kia. Things like the LIM issue that GM is ignoring is pretty inexcusable.

As for imports being better, that's all relative. My '90 Mustang GT has 194,000 miles...original engine and trans, and still has tons of power and burns no oil. My friend had an Eclipse turbo that blew its engine at 63,000miles.

Really it all comes down to how the car was taken care of. Beat any car up and don't maintain it properly and it won't last for s***.

So besides the GA and Eclipse are there any other alternatives? How far back are you willing to go on model year? Nothing before 2000? You should be able to find a few cool things for $6k. Also, how quickly must you buy? If you have time, don't rush into it and take your time until you find the perfect car. Might take a few weeks but trust me you'll end up finding a really sweet deal and be very happy with the car.

Mike Jung
10-25-2004, 10:25 AM

Oh nevermind. i forgot about the oh so Godly...toyotas that will last for 6846548674657654378674 years with 354465414568765168764687651645 miles on them and STILL never burn a quart of oil...
& then if you follow the Toyote manufacture's oil change interval [not the dealer's] of up to 7.5k-miles using dino oil; you have a sludged engine because they minorly changed the engine for emissions (making the engine run hotter & harder on the oil), dealer's use what ever is economico for them not neccessary best for the car.

I heard they now changed that to up to 5k-miles on dino oil :rolleyes:

*offtopic*
We have heard about other oil problems in the past:
Mercedes North America sludging using dino oil & the car's oil change interval computer for longlife (not the European Synthetic spec'ed by Mercedes in Europe for LongLife),
BMW M-series engines in North America getting too thin grades/types of oil,
Dodge Durago's have sludge in there engines (engine design problem/poor quality of oil-?),
Toyota's V6 engines with sludge problems if you use the manufacturer's oil change interval using dino oil,
Ford finding out that a 5W20 synthetic-bland does NOT work in all engines & a Ford TSB about using Motorcraft (Ford's) 5W20 synthetic-blend oil in the desert/hot condtions in extreme condtions like high speed runs for long periods of time causing excessive wear to the engines,
& just recently VW/Audi's 1.8T engines sludging because in North America dealer using the wrong oil, dino types [in the case of Audi A4 1.8T up to 10k-miles] (in Europe a Eurupean synthetic spec'ed LongLife oil is specificed for these engines).

I wonder how many in North America have 'German' cars are using the spec'ed European synthetic motor oils with ACEA A3 rated & the corresponding manufacturer's LongLife ratings in their cars.
Or deisel engines in North America are really using a deisel motor oil that are like rated CI-4; preferably synthetic since the deisel engines are Turbo'ed.

So all cars have problems, just some more than others & some more well known than others.

AznGA
10-25-2004, 02:57 PM
V6 stang or lastest 4 cyl Eclipse is not worth looking. Get the Grand AM. Who says domestic cars are ****ty? You only see posts about people that have problems with their cars. Not many people post about how good his/her car has been.

Braves299
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
V6 stang or lastest 4 cyl Eclipse is not worth looking. Get the Grand AM. Who says domestic cars are ****ty? You only see posts about people that have problems with their cars. Not many people post about how good his/her car has been.

Amen! exactly what i've always thought. Who is gonna take the time to "rave" about their car when they are satisfied with it as compared to someone who is ****ed off at their car and needs to let out some steam? Also, there are like 198491984654 Grand Ams out there, much more than alot of cars they are being compared too, so naturally, they are gonna have more problems.

2002AmSE
10-25-2004, 06:04 PM
My rant opinion, ignore if you want to:

Mitsubishi's target audience are teenagers who want a 'fast' car, or at least fast looking. It's the sort of car that parents buy their kids and pay for all the maintenence. My cousin had a Mitsu and did all the necessary maintenence for it and it had way too many problems for me to list here, many electrical problems. They are also notorious for eating belts and squeaking horrible while they are at it.

EDIT: If you want foreign go with Toyota, Honda, or BMW. Those have some of the best resale value numbers and Toyota and Honda are generally affordable. I know of Honda's and Toyota's getting well past 200,000 miles easily without much of anything for repairs(and NO ENGINE repair!). One of my friends owns two Toyotas that are past 300,000 miles and have never been in the shop and has had all of the maintenence done by the owner. My next car will be either a Camry, Corolla, or an Accord

xonelith
10-25-2004, 06:51 PM
To get my 2 cents in....

I bought a 2001 GAGT1 with 80000 km's (approx 50000 miles) on it. Some of the prbs I have had (at 93000 km now, bought a few months ago) are:

replaced rack
intake gaskets
Transmission fluid pressure switch (prbably due to running hard on the track)

Grand ams have a problem with brake squeal and window scratches due inadequate clearance between weather stripping and door skins.

These should be all fixed though by 100000 miles. As stated above, check the service records.

I personally like the ga better, but at 100000 miles and 7000 dollars (US I'm assuming), seems very high. Wait for one with lower miles is my recommendation.

HOWEVER, I find it very difficult to find good mods (ie performance) so if you want a track car, I would assume it would be easier to find aftermarket parts to get your eclipse track ready and cheaper. Most things (I find) are custom fabbed plus the motor isn't really setup for boost (Don't start beating me up for this comment; I know people have boosted 3400's). BUT.. if you want a mitsu... go for the EVO!!!

xon

magnanpi
10-25-2004, 10:20 PM
To get my 2 cents in....

I bought a 2001 GAGT1 with 80000 km's (approx 50000 miles) on it. Some of the prbs I have had (at 93000 km now, bought a few months ago) are:

replaced rack
intake gaskets
Transmission fluid pressure switch (prbably due to running hard on the track)

Grand ams have a problem with brake squeal and window scratches due inadequate clearance between weather stripping and door skins.

These should be all fixed though by 100000 miles. As stated above, check the service records.

I personally like the ga better, but at 100000 miles and 7000 dollars (US I'm assuming), seems very high. Wait for one with lower miles is my recommendation.

HOWEVER, I find it very difficult to find good mods (ie performance) so if you want a track car, I would assume it would be easier to find aftermarket parts to get your eclipse track ready and cheaper. Most things (I find) are custom fabbed plus the motor isn't really setup for boost (Don't start beating me up for this comment; I know people have boosted 3400's). BUT.. if you want a mitsu... go for the EVO!!!

xon

itts actualy $6,000. i think its a decent deal. theyre are Grand Ams all over auto trader with about 90,000 miles for $6,500. at least the GT1. i want all the options. i dunno.

oh yeah and i know eclipses are just meant to look fast. but i like the most current body style. ( i was looking at the new body celicas but found the eclipse to be sleeker and less boxy looking)

now the grand am...ive wanted one since the day i got inside one. period.....a long time. ive driven a car EXACTLY the same as the one im looking at (had 40 K miles not 100 K miles) but still it was awesome. very fun to drive.

i want a car to make people go "ooooh" a little. i want it to be at least faster than my 94 Accrod EX Auto stock.. i want it to have a good sound system, be comfortable, with leather seats. also dont really care about resale value that much. id rather it be fun and cool looking like a pontiac then boring, reliable and blah like a Honda or Toyota..... all for cheap money. and if it breaks, i want it to be able to fix easily and somewhat cheaply. my two favorite colors just so happpen to be colors that Nissan and Pontiac share (somewhat) .... Black...and Orange Fusion.....

I think the Grand AM, if i get the SC/T hood package (i dont see alot of those) will satisfy all my wants.

Eclipse would look good if i mod it to be an all show, no go car. for the most part.

carsarecool
10-26-2004, 07:29 PM
yeah, i'd say go for the GA based on what you just said, especially with the torque differences in the GT...when you hammer on it(not sayin you should a WHOLE lot cause of the miles, but its fun lol) youll really suprise some passengers who dont know a lot about GA's, roll to about 25 mph in the eclipse and floor it to pass somebody, then do the same in the GAGT, and let us know which one you liked better.

AznGA
10-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Sounds like you have made up your mind to get the GA. Go for it. 3400's HP numbers aren't great, but you will love the torque. These are decent cars. Why do you think so many people bought it? Get SCT hood/wing, exhaust, tailights and you will be ready to turn heads and stand out from 324325 other GA's around you.

magnanpi
10-26-2004, 09:08 PM
yeah....i looked at the grand am....

i dunno tho. i still want one but i raised my limit from $6000 to near $8000.

this one didnt have leather and diidnt have the 6-way driver seat, and the steering wheel radio controls. it was a GT...not a GT1. so im not gonna get it. but i still want one. just not that particualar one.

i was only gonna pay $6000 for it even tho it has 104,483 miles cuz it was a GT1 with every option. but the worker on the phone told me it had leather but it doesnt. so i know i can find a GT1 with say 70,000 miles for under $8,000. thats y i raised my limit.

its either that or a Mustang V8 (found a 2000 for $8,400 GT)...and i found an 2003 Eclipse V6 Spyder with 40,000 miles for $8,500....now thats a ****in deal.

magnanpi
10-26-2004, 09:52 PM
also...when i started it up today (the pontiac) it had a little strain to the engine.

and the low coolant light was on..... LIM anyone?

yeah plus the 2 way power seat up and down didnt work. it whirred when i pressed the button but the actual seat never moved.

and then the dome light was missing....i found it in the glovebox lol.

if im buying a car with over 100,000 miles i dont want it beaten on....i want it babyed..

Breadfan
10-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Holy crap that car does not sound worth $6,000

Like I said I have a GT1 with everything but leather in better than perfect condition. Not even a scratch on that paint and runs great. Wholesale for mine with 70,000 miles is well under 7k.

For one with over 100k and many problems to boot, it's not worth over $4500 retail.

Sounds like your sold on a GAGT, which is good. But I do advise getting one with lower mileage if you can sport up to $8,000. Otherwise, take your time looking at other cars, drive a few different things and see what you think. But yeah that GT you were looking at sounds like a rip off, plus the dealer sounds shady telling you it had leather when it didn't.

I can see not realizing it was a GT rather than GT1, but it's pretty hard to be so stupid you don't know the difference between cloth and leather seats. Sounds like someone wanted you to show up so they could try and sucker you into a car...

GTguy
10-27-2004, 10:46 AM
If your so worried about it, just get a reliable new ****box like a focus, kia etc... no worries and a bumper to bumper warranty for that price for YEARS!

If you go used, get it checked out by BCAA and get the accident history... OK...