1998 Pontiac Grand Am [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Pontiac Grand Am

deb789
10-26-2004, 07:02 AM
I have a Pontiac Grand am 1998 Se. I noticed that when i start my car, My car turns over a but it wont fire the first attempt. I have to start it again and then give a tap on my gas pedal then it starts. Whats the problem?

abusedgt97
10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
clogged injectors, poor spark?

deb789
10-27-2004, 04:50 AM
What do i use for clogged injectors? aAso you said poor spark is there a way to a poor spark? Im new to cars im a girl Please help!!!

71Z28RS
10-27-2004, 08:07 AM
If you're not used to working on cars and you don't have the tools, you'll probably have to take it in for a tuneup. You probably need new spark plugs and wires, and maybe have your fuel injectors cleaned. A new fuel filter and air filter would be recommended if they've never been changed too. And if it's got some high mileage, the upper oxygen sensor is probably due for a change too. If you don't mind working on cars and you have some tools, the plugs and wires can be done in an afternoon without too much hassle. The air filter is very easy to do....all you need is a screwdriver, but the fuel filter involves getting under the car and unhooking the fuel line....not hard, but can be a little messy. The oxygen sensor is a little harder to do, but only because they are usually very tight and hard to get too. If you want to tackle these things yourself and you have the tools, just say so and I'm sure we can walk you through it.

Is your car showing a check engine or an SES light?

deb789
10-27-2004, 12:52 PM
No, Im not seeing a check engine light. Hey, My car has 125,000 miles on it. I dont see any shaking on the car. It is smooth jusst like you dont even hear the car is on. But thats the only problem im having is when i start the car. DEBBIE.

awallsgt
10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Its a grand am, thats a very common thing to happen.

71Z28RS
10-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Its a grand am, thats a very common thing to happen.
Oooooooookay. Where did you get that little bit of information? Grand Ams are NOT notorious for having hard start issues. I'll bet if we did a thorough search, we'd be hard pressed to find more than one or two people who have had this problem ever posted on this site.

Anyway.....Deb789, back to trying to solve your problem,.....have you had the car for a while? If so, what has been done to the car as far as maintenance and part replacement since you've had it? The more info you can give us, the better. It's definitely a good sign that your car is running smoothly after starting and it doesn't seem to be sputtering or anything. That helps to rule out a couple of things. It's also good that it isn't giving a check engine light too, although that can make it a little harder to diagnose.

Let us know where the car stands in terms of past tune-up maintenance and hopefully we can get you pointed in the right direction. Also, if you rule out the lack of tune up, it's possible that it could also be a faulty throttle position sensor. I think that happened to someone on this website a while back.

Lunitar
10-28-2004, 02:39 PM
When you get in the car do you just hit the starter right away?

Theres a secondary fuel pump in my 98, you can hear it run for a second or two when you turn on the ignition with a cold engine. Try leaving the key on for a few seconds before ya start it up.

Hope ya solve this problem soon :)

abusedgt97
10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
To unclog the injectors you could try running an additive such as sea foam to your gas.

To check for spark good spark at the coils, disconnect two wires on the same coil (ie 1&4), start the car (it will run on 4 cylinders, provided it is a 6) and watch the spark bridge the gap, the spark color should be blue, if the color is yellow the coil could be getting weak. Continue with the others, make sure to turn the car off when you are connecting and disconnecting the plugs. You will get a check engine light "misfire" but it should clear after a few restarts. Do no touch the coils with the key on, 12volt connected, or car running, if you do you will get a nice zap, the coils put out atleast 30k volts, they are capable of putting out 60k. I am not positive you if you can get hit by the coils with the 12volt in the run position or just having the constant plugged in, either way. If you do not understand do not try it.

71Z28RS
10-29-2004, 05:46 AM
[QUOTE=abusedgt97]
To check for spark good spark at the coils, disconnect two wires on the same coil (ie 1&4), start the car (it will run on 4 cylinders, provided it is a 6) and watch the spark bridge the gap, the spark color should be blue, if the color is yellow the coil could be getting weak. QUOTE]
Hey, good post. I've never heard of the color change on a weak coil. Guess I learned something today.

abusedgt97
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Yup, on the worn out ones the color is yellowish.