LIM Repair pics [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Repair pics

kamikaz16
10-26-2004, 01:32 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwings101/album?.dir=/ba3a&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,6%3af,0

Those are pics of me repairing my LIM gasket. You can kinda see how the gasket is all messed up, and you can DEFINATELY see the coolant/oil puddle that formed outside the LIM on the block. Luckily it was an external leak- there was NO coolant in the oil at all. I'll post more pics once the car starts going back together.

NorKoastal
10-26-2004, 02:32 PM
My car has a little in the area you took your pic....

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/412b61eez357e8c9d/ba3a/__sr_/f190.jpg?phEirfBB_EoTTDBR

Pretty much the same location.. The upper IM gasket had a lil sludge around but nothing since I cleaned it off... Im going to take a pic of the lower to get your opinion if replacement is needed.. I have a extended warranty with a $200 deductible...

kamikaz16
10-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it was a sign of coolant leaking from the LIM into that little pocket. Possibly it could be leaking from the distributor seal (that round thing right above the pocket) too. Mine, not under warranty, cost me over $400 at a discounted price from my mechanic. If you can get the repairs done for $200, then by all means have it checked out. That way you don't suffer total engine failure like I did :doh:

How many miles on yours? I've got 102k on mine, so getting the injectors and injector seals cleaned, the throttle body cleaned, and the LIM/UIM sealed and cleaned were really necessary for me. They looked bad.

NorKoastal
10-26-2004, 03:02 PM
37,000 I thought the upper IM gasket would go before the LIM gasket....This last weekend I decided to put on the TB shield and noticed a mini pool of sludge sitting in there in that same area of your pic (Not near as much though, my tranny is bone dry).. Nowhere else though (from what I can see) ... Ahh Ha!!!! Ill take the pic before I wipe it out..

$200 beats 1K....

kamikaz16
10-26-2004, 03:07 PM
If its just a bit of dark sludge, it could just be mud/grease/dirt buildup. The passenger side of my block has about an inch of that crud built up on it, but it wasn't due to the LIM.