Fog lights not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights not working

mightypan42
10-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I replaced my headlight housings yesterday. Did the passenger side first, and checked to make sure I didn't screw up the bulbs... all the lights came on. Replaced the driver's side next, had my dad turn on the lights... and the fogs didn't come on. I checked the fog switch and found that the indicator light in the switch wasn't coming on (the light behind the dash dimming dial still works fine).

When I flip the fog switch on and off, it feels like the switch is merely rocking back and forth, without making any kind of contact on either position. Before I realized this, I had planned on checking to see if the fog light fuse had blown, but I doubt that's the problem.

As it stands right now, I'm thinking that the switch has gone bad. The only problem with that idea is that the switch didn't get used between the last time the fog lights worked and the first time they didn't work. Also, if the switch was going to crap out on my like this, wouldn't there be some warning that it was going bad? I haven't had any problems with it before now. Now that I think about it... if the switch was going to stop working, wouldn't it be stuck in the position it was in when it stopped working (on)?

I guess I'm just confused about this, and would like some help getting this fixed. Thanks

abusedgt97
10-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Make sure the relay is connected and working, you might want to try removing the relay and hot wiring the curcuit.

mightypan42
10-27-2004, 06:02 AM
I'll check on that... but for some strange reason, the fogs are working now. :wtf

action
10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
I wouldnt remove the relay and hot wire it, (unless you were just testing it with a jumper wire or something.

If the fuse is good and the switch feels funny, it could be in the switch.

abusedgt97
10-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Thats what I meant, hot wire it to test it.