2 Sizes of Rims? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sizes of Rims?

Stop the Robots
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Well, I've been looking at something like these. (http://www.wheelsnext.com/product.phtml?p=923) Of course, I just want that look, not that price tag. But I was wondering, if I had 17's in the back and 15's in the front, would that be a good idea? Or would it have some ill effect on my ride?

luniz
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Don't do it! It will look like shiot.

action
10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Tehcnically you can do it if you buy the right size tire to get the same outside diameter. (if they are different it will cause problems) Use Google and search for tire size calcualtors to find 2 tire sizes that match for the different rim sizes.

I also would not do this because I think it would look stupid.

71Z28RS
10-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Just curious, why do you say it'd cause problems if they were different outside diameters?

EBlend
10-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Just curious, why do you say it'd cause problems if they were different outside diameters?

it won't cause problems as long as you keep 2 same types of tires on front and don't mix one big one small....thats the only problem

ofcourse you would also want your front tires to be the same size as stock thought..or really close..else your speedo is going to be off..so basicly choose a rim u like....then match a tire so it would fit on that rim and have the same diameter as stock FOR THE FRONT..for the back...do wahtever u want in size or tire..as long as it fits in there

71Z28RS
10-29-2004, 05:52 AM
That's what I thought. I was wondering if there was some weird speed sensor on the newer models that would mess with the traction control or something. I know it wouldn't matter on my car. Also, with two different tire sizes, you can't rotate your tires. Not really a serious issue, just something you might not think about until later.

dougscott
10-31-2004, 07:42 AM
If you have ABS it would cause big problems. ABS senses speed differences between the four wheels. Running different diameter tire/wheel combos will give different speeds. Traction control would also be effected. Since the front would actually be turning faster than the rear, it would assume that both front wheels are spinning.

2002AmSE
10-31-2004, 08:03 AM
Also, with two different tire sizes, you can't rotate your tires. Not really a serious issue, just something you might not think about until later.

You still will want to rotate the tires, just side to side instead of the the standard swap. It's more important for the front however because the back won't have much wear.