Changing The Oil Filter Using Mobil One [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing The Oil Filter Using Mobil One

Kyle
10-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I have Mobil One in my car and I plane to go until about 10,000, I am at 5,000 now. My question is how much does the oil filter hold is it about half a quart? the reason im asking this is because I want to change the filter half way between.

Jeremy
10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
why don't you just change the oil when you change the filter. You're under there already, might as well do them both at the same time. If you're worried about the $$ then don't run the expensive oil in there.

Rba007
10-29-2004, 11:33 AM
So, are you saying youre going 10,000 miles on one oil change, or 5000?

Even with Mobil one, if you want to baby that engine, dont go too long!

I also agree with guru on this one, changing the filter is 2/3 of the pain of changing your oil. If youre down there already, finish the job.

Kyle
10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Yea, I guess I should just go ahead and change it. You think 5,000 is a good Interval for mobil one?

Rba007
10-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I do about 3500, but search around, its been discussed by people who know more about the subject than I do.

Malaclypse
10-29-2004, 04:58 PM
I run Mobil 1 for about 5,000 miles. Its so dusty around here that I have to change the oil/filter that often, otherwise I'd suggest trying a filter change at five, topping off the oil and changing the oil completely at 10,000.

Here's THE synthetic oil life study.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

GALover
10-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I was just thinking this over when I had to change my oil the first time last weekend. I bought the most expensive filter rated for like 10k miles. But oil is supposed to be changed every 3k~ish. It's like the hotdog bun vs hotdogs. 8 of this and 12 of those. It just doesn't add up.
So should I do 3 oil changes with this one filter lol? I am not a cheap bastard and will buy a new filter at my next change. It's just ....WTF guy's.

Black Z28
10-29-2004, 05:31 PM
change your filter every time you change your oil... even if it mean you change your filter 20 times more over the life of your car, its cheaper than buying a new motor or new car.

Mike Jung
10-29-2004, 06:33 PM
I have Mobil One in my car and I plane to go until about 10,000, I am at 5,000 now. My question is how much does the oil filter hold is it about half a quart? the reason im asking this is because I want to change the filter half way between.
Unless you are using Mobil 1 0W40 (http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_0W-40.asp); Mobil 1 is NOT 'LongLife' rated!
[Mobil1 0W40 is the factory-fill for Porsche]

Are you going to get a sample of the oil to a lab for a 'Used Oil Analysis' ? (If doing extended oil change intervals.)

& don't forget to check your oil level occasionally & top-up the oil as needed.

IMO, I would NOT go with 10K mile oil change intervals.

I think using our GA's oil life monitor would be good in this case with Mobil 1 5w30 & 10W30 oil.

If you are consider changing the oil filter, then just do a whole oil change & filter.

2002AmSE
10-29-2004, 07:39 PM
The stock size filter holds about 1/2 quart, the full size holds about 3/4 of a quart, but you won't want to fill it completly full or it will spill out because of the angle of the filter while putting it in. I fill it about halfway(1/4 quart with stock size and about 1/2 with the larger one, but it really wont matter) when I change it. Service manuals don't even specify that it is something you should do, but I do it because I like the fact that oil pressure will be reached quicker. Either way that you do it check your oil level!!

5,000 miles is safe on your grandam with dino oil because the oil change light probably comes on around then. I've seen someone with a 11,000 mile oil change interval with Amsoil and things looked beautiful on the Oil Analysis report. Mobil 1 will probably take you safely to 7,500 with no problem, I would change the filter before 5,000.

Personal Note: I am going to be having a 7,500 mile interval with a UOA(used oil analysis) at the end to see how the TBN, voscosity holding up, and make sure wear numbers are well within range.

I have just recieved (as request) an analysis container from Blackstone Laboratories to send them a sample of my oil at 7,500 when I change it. I plan to change the filter at 5,000 or when the oil change light comes on(as this is what should be done with dino oil, but since its synthetic the oil is still good). I am running the AC Delco PF52(oversized) filter.

I WOULD NEVER suggest choosing a significantly long oil change without having at least one oil analysis at least once and also it's not a bad idea to ask about a recommended interval based on the results. If you want more information on extended oil change intervals goto http://theoildrop.server101.com and you can look through there and get some understanding of what other people are doing and you can search for grand am under Used Oil Analysis and get an idea of what people are safely running for oil change intervals with certain oils. Every car and the conditions it is driven are different so I would do an oil analysis yourself and compare them with the results on the forum, and even post them ( I know I will for sure so I can get feedback).

Another point: Be sure that your oil level is checked at least once a month because less oil means there is less fluid to hold the dirty particles and wears the oil out faster.

EDIT: Fixed a major spelling typo

scotiez
10-29-2004, 10:29 PM
This is a subject i have asked alot of questions about. In my 04 i wanted to switch to mobil one on the 1st oil change,so i did that. I asked the service manager at the dealer ship where i bought my car what he recommends. He said that GM now puts the oil life monitor in some of there cars but he is not convinced it is a good thing to go by. He said being that we live in a climate of extreme temperatures here in North Dakota he would recommend changing it at every 3000 miles for dino oil (maximum miles) and 4000 with Mobil one synthetic oil. He said that Mobil one is rated to go longer but that is also under ideal conditions. Also if you had to run and extra thousand miles with synthetic it would be ok without having to worry about hurting your motor.
anyway this is what the service manager told me so i'm going to run my car at 4000 with mobil one. I know some of you may say its waisting my money on synthetic only running 4000 miles but atleast i know my motor will be in good shape for many miles to come.

2002AmSE
11-02-2004, 10:51 AM
North Dakota doesn't have extreme temperatures. Along with that the synthetic oil will flow quite a bit better than dino oil and because of th

scotiez
11-02-2004, 12:58 PM
North Dakota doesn't have extreme temperatures. Along with that the synthetic oil will flow quite a bit better than dino oil and because of th

He was saying extreme temperatures because of the cold not the heat in the summer. He said that unless you drive more then 10 miles to totally warm up your car in the winter there is condensation in the motor that will not evaporate even with mobil one. I only drive like 3 miles one way to work everyday and i know my car is barely warm when i get there, especially when it is -20 below. But because synthetic oil will flow better in the winter is also one of the reasons why i put that in.

2002AmSE
11-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Hmm, only part of my message got posted, I basically had typed in what you just said. The condensation will be gone if you take a good trip(more than 10 miles like you said) and then you will be fine. I was talking about the cold in relation to extreme temperatures, I live in Minnesota, North Dakota isn't too much different it's Canada that you really need to worry about extreme temperatures because the lowest temps in ND don't really go lower than -40 except for just a few times in a year, We've driven our cars when the temps dropped lower than -60 when they got that low here in Minnesota 5 years ago, we just made sure it warmed up a minute or two first.