Alternator Problem... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Problem...

pico
10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Yesterday I had my alternator replaced b/c it was going out. I took it to the mechanic since I have an extended warranty on it.
Well, last night I drive it home and everything was well. I remote started my car only to see that my headlights and interior lights were flickering. If this ever happened before, I don't know. I was paying more attention to it this time seeing that it was just replaced.
I figured b/c my battery was almost drained that I would let her run for a bit to charge up.
So then today I get ready to go to work, and I now notice that when I press on my brakes, my interior lights dim out for a second or 2. It goes back to normal of course, but it's that 1-2 second dimming out that bothers me.

My question is, could it be that the battery may have gone bad due to it being totally drained out? Or could the mechanic have installed it wrong to where it has a power drain somewhere?

And, is there anyway to find out without going back to the mechanic seeing that I work alot of hours?

Thank you in advance for any help.

abusedgt97
10-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Your mechanic should have recharged the battery while he installed the alternator. If you try to recharge a dead battery with the alternator it is very hard on it. Try to recharge your battery with the terminals disconnected, if you do not have a charger take it to autozone and they will do it for free. You can also put a digital multimeter on dc volts across the battery with the car off and it should read close to 12.6 volts (a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts). See if that helps.

Also autozone can also test your alternator output. probably around 90-100 amps.

pico
10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I'll do that first thing when I get off of work tomorrow.

Thank you.

abusedgt97
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
He might have installed a bad alternator, but I bet he just did not recharge the battery.

P.S. - I was in Springfield today.

action
11-01-2004, 09:43 AM
IF the car is a '99 with the original battery, replace it. Mine failed last year under a light load test and my car's a 2000.

A weak battery can quickly wear out an altenator because the altenator is charging much more often to keep up with the demand that the battery cant meet.

If you have a new battery then put a battery charger on it.

1HOTGT
11-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm having problems with starting my car. I have to really crank and hold the key until it starts. We're thinking it's an alternator problem too. but my battery has been drained often in the past couple weeks (leaving my lights on, oops) Then the other day while driving the lights dimmed for a second. Wondering if anybody else has had a problem like this or if i just need to get the alternator replaced? and it is under warranty correct? mine's a 2003!!

abusedgt97
11-01-2004, 07:05 PM
1GOTGT - you need to remove your battery and charge it, your alternator recharges your battery, but it will not charge it completely like a charger. If you install a new battery you must charge it first.

pico
11-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Well I know that the battery isn't the stock one. It's from a local battery store here in town.
I took it to Autozone the other day and had it tested. They said it was fully charged, and holding the charge, however it isn't holding loads too well. So I guess you can say it is weak.
All in all, I need another battery. So I'm off to get one this weekend, or tomorrow seeing that I'm taking it to have the water pump changed out.

I should make the mechanic purchase it for me seeing that this didn't happen until he changed the alternator out.

pico
11-02-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm getting a new one either tomorrow, or this weekend as a matter of fact.

I'll keep that in mind to charge it first. I never know that...and knowing is half the battle :P

pico
11-02-2004, 09:46 PM
1HOTGT - Mine was doing the same thing. Ended up being the alternator in my case.
I would imagine it's under a warranty if it's an 03.
I purchased an extended warranty with mine.
BUt yah, my lights dimmed out while I was driving it. I didn't have any problems with it cranking though. Now that sounds like an issue with the battery. I would first take the advise of abusedgt97 and take out the battery and charging it first. See what happens. I mean what do you have to lose?
If you left the lights on, and it drained the battery dry, it will take forever for the alternator to recharge it, plus it will put alot of strain on it as well which isn't good.

Eitherway, good luck with that...I know it's frustrating as hell.